is it just me or is jailbreak and cydia SO damn confusing?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by ruk110, Aug 7, 2010.

1. ruk110 macrumors regular

ruk110

I went to that jailbreakme.com website and jailbroke my iphone 4 for the first time ever (i have no experience) its my first iphone and even after watching loads of tutorials and stuff i cant seem to figure out what the hell im doing or what the hell to do, winterboards?snowboards? i dont know!!!

2. Bandolier macrumors 6502a

What is it exactly that you want accomplished? Did you expect to see a magic light show when you jailbroke?

But seriously, what do you want so we can help you.

3. impulse462 macrumors 68000

impulse462

No offense, if you've watched a bunch of tutorials and still can't figure out what to do maybe jailbreaking isn't for you.

4. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

It is confusing if u have no experience, just search it on google or YouTube and u will be fine. Also u can read the description of the package u download, some don't have it but I presume most do. So after loads of tutorials I think u should be fine if u don't get it then ur hopeless.

5. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

6. ajones46 macrumors 6502

Don't worry OP, I was just as lost as you when I first started. Once you finish jailbreaking, you kind of have a feeling of "now what?" The best advice I can give you is just to play with it, trial and error. Just make sure you select User when you first install Cydia. Play around in Themes and Tweaks and I think you'll be set.

7. ruk110 thread starter macrumors regular

ruk110

ive never done it before, also i noticed that after jailbreaking it, my iphone 4 started acting very off and would randomly chuck me out of applications. i just wanted to maybe tweak one or two things slightly. add stuff, remove stuff and get some free apps! just the standard stuff really

8. rikbrown macrumors regular

Piracy isn't "the standard" reason for jailbreaking and if that is what you want to do you're on the wrong website. Support app developers.

9. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

There are free apps within cydia that are not allowed on the app store. A free app and a pirated app are not the same thing! Not sure the OPs intentions but just because someone says they want free apps does not mean they are looking to pirate apps!

10. yentrog31 macrumors regular

yentrog31

I had my IP3GS aout 1 month before I got bored w/ it..cause I knew it could do so much more.I googled and read everything I could find for about a week(joined MMi and MR and a few others)..then JB for WB as I'm sure most do and then a whole new world opened up in front of me.If you did not see this world then the other post is rite...JB'ing is NOT for you(and thats ok,its not for everybody)..glta

11. mr lee macrumors member

mr lee

Dude just read on the forums what people are doing and installing. If you still have no idea what to do then jailbreaking is not for you.. :rolleyes:

12. dgstan macrumors 6502a

Search on Google for "top 10 jailbreak apps" or something similar. If you see stuff you like, go to Cydia and find it. Proceed slowly install one app at a time, making sure it works before installing another. If it doesn't, just back it out by managing the packages.

Yes, it can be confusing when you first start, but it'll be worth it once you figure it out.

13. dgstan macrumors 6502a

Search on Google for "top 10 jailbreak apps" or something similar. If you see stuff you like, go to Cydia and find it. Proceed slowly install one app at a time, making sure it works before installing another. If it doesn't, just back it out by managing the packages.

Yes, it can be confusing when you first start, but it'll be worth it once you figure it out.

14. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

What type of "tweaks" and what type of "stuff"?

Please be more specific and I'm sure the members here can point you into the right direction. Not sure what kind of free apps you're looking for so I"ll just leave that alone.

15. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

Winner! Winner!

16. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

It drives me crazy when people say google. You are already at this forum! Why don't you take some time to read the threads in the various sections and start expanding your horizons? Learn from the knowledge others have acquired.

17. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

I think we could start a dialogue where JB should have remained a true command-line hack to prevent unprepared users from experimenting with something they don't understand.

18. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

My command line rooted iPhone 4 RULES!

19. yentrog31 macrumors regular

yentrog31

chillax dude....If it drives you that crazy maybe you ought to skip this thread.Save that stress for a more deserving candidate.He's a relatively new member and JB'ing can be a bit unnerving/scary to some.I found my way to this site thru a google search about JB'ing tips.

20. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Chicken dinner :D

21. mustnotsleep macrumors 6502

its just you, stop whining and figure it out like the other 10 million people.

22. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Or if you cant figure it out stay away from Jailbreaking.
    Its not for everyone.

23. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

If u only need to tweak a couple things (witch I'm shure are easy to do) why do u not just ask us how instead of complaining. I have done my fare share but this can't be too complicated. It's not exactly full on computer programming but some knowledge is required for ssh and I bet the things u want don't require that. So just tell us what u need to do and we would help.

24. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

OP, if I were you, I'd just read as many threads in this forum as I could to get an idea of what other members (especially those who have more experience) are doing with their jailbroken devices. Once you see a tweak or mod that interests you, read all of the rest of the posts in that thread (to ensure that no problems or bugs have shown up that were subsequently pointed out) and then go from there. JB'ing can be confusing at first; don't sweat it. It's quite easy once you get the hang of it.