Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

josh098

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2008
Word formats docx, doc, etc

I recently upgraded to office 2008, but am faced with selecting which windows and office versions I want my Word docs to be compatible with. Before, when emailing a Word document, it just worked. Now, when saving my Word docs, I am faced with a plethora of file extensions to choose from. Is there on I can select that will work for everyone, like before? I generally email most documents to people with pc's, which is why I like to use Word, but I have tried two different extensions today, compatible with office this and windows that, but so far no good. Advice?

Gleadr

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2009
Arizona
Office '08 is for people with way too much patience that would be better off getting a pc but i have to get it anyway /:

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
RE: Is it just me or is Office 2008 the worst program ever?

It's you...

Clearly you've never used Lotus Notes, which is without a doubt the worst program ever.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
It's you...
Clearly you've never used Lotus Notes, which is without a doubt the worst program ever.
You just HAD to remind me, didn't you? :D Lotus Notes is a total disaster! Microsoft Office may have a bucket full of shortcomings, but for those of us who routinely use advanced spreadsheet functions, there's nothing that compares...... yet!

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR

Attachments

• FurtherProofThereIsNoGod.jpg
    FurtherProofThereIsNoGod.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 67

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
I use both Office 2008 and OpenOffice - neither are perfect but neither suck.

When everything is perfect in the world then there will be no room for improvement - hopefully we won't complain about that too.

22Hertz

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2007
How is it Apples problem that Office 08 wigs out with Spaces?
Every other program seems to work just fine.

I have never had it crash, however with the lagging performance and bugs galore its clear Microsoft released a piece of crap as usual.

I too had problems with the initial update hanging and eventually found out I needed to download the package-update and update that way.

I'm constantly trying to find which window it is hiding behind, and have to go to each window in spaces I visited and look behind the open program in that window to see if Word is there, drag it back to its original window...then the ribbon is not there-so I have to close the ribbon then open it back up again. I have to do this each time I visit another window, and I copy/paste a lot of stuff back and forth from Firefox so I am CONSTANTLY doing this. Typical Microsoft experience.

I recently got a copy of Windows 7 Beta and could not install it. I kept getting a BSOD on my PC at the initial part of the install. My PC is a year old with very good parts I picked and built myself. Microsoft just sucks period.

I am a recent switcher because of all the horrible problems I constantly have with Windows and its software. I bought a Macbook Pro and for now am running Leopard on this hackintosh with zero problems...never looking back

I would use Pages but it feels like a grown up text edit. I also dont see certain things I need to type my papers properly (engineering student) therefore I reluctantly have to use Word 08. I like the look and layout of Word, I just wish it worked as well as it looked.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
I find the largest source of complaint in relation to Office 2007/2008 is how different the UI is. People tend to resist and fear change, understandably.

nadyne

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2004
Mountain View, CA USA
I have to run VMWare and Excel 2007 because I need more advanced functionality like VBA. I have no idea why they removed it but it was a terrible terrible idea. I guess if the goal was to sell copies of Office 2007 rather than 2008, they succeeded.

If you really want to know why we removed it, here's a post from one of our senior developers that was made when we announced its removal back in 2006: saying goodbye to Visual Basic. The short answer is that the code was old and deeply tied to the PowerPC architecture; updating it to work on Intel would've been a huge hit to our schedule. We already shipped Office 2008 a lot later than we wanted, and keeping VBA in the release would make that much worse. It was a hard decision to come to, and no-one on the team liked it.

Now, for some good news, you can read another post from this developer: saying hello again to Visual Basic. VBA is coming back to the next version of Office:Mac.

Regards,
Nadyne.

Inconsequential

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 12, 2007
It's you...

Unfortunately for you, I have... and as far as I can remember. It worked :p

I have two new issues with excel now:

1. Takes FOREVER to delete any cell, be it row, column or anything.
2. I can't click on some cells, instead it clicks on one 10 rows higher, yet I can arrow key to them, WTF?

To the people it "works" for: Setup/system/install length..

Im going to reinstall it later but if its not solved then why the hell should I coff up money for it after the trial ends? :rolleyes:

Edit: Oh and the old version of iWork works nicely, I wonder what the new version is like....
And every other app on my system is working perfectly!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.