Is it just me or is this forum ass backwards?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Crath, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Crath macrumors newbie

I've been trolling this forum (mbp sub-forum) for a few months now, waiting for the update. I read as much about the rumors of the upcoming updates as I can, but it's hard.

Every topic related to a possible rumor about a release, is merged into a single thread (waiting for threads) where it is hard to keep track of what is what.

Although, while these posts are all being mashed together, tons of posts are made with misc stupid questions people have about their MBPs, where they are too lazy to Google it.

I understand this should be open to allow people to ask questions and all, but this is a RUMORS website. Don't mash all the rumors topics into one 100+ page thread, making it difficult to monitor, while letting the support questions clutter up the board.

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

3. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

It's not hard getting information in that 100+ page post because all the information are just repeated over and over again. I just went through one page of it and got literally all the info about "When" its coming out already.

Furthermore, it was getting out of hand especially with people posting "It's coming out tomorrow!" every week for 3 months. Seriously, its a rumors site but come on, thats just posting false information and getting people's hopes up.

4. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

And yet here you are, cluttering up my Forum Spy :rolleyes:

5. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Yes. Let everyone with a pulse post a new prediction thread/rumor thread, and then we can have 20-40 new mbp release date/rumor threads daily by users with less than 1 day under their belts and wholly unqualified. -_-

Legitimate sounding rumors will be posted to the front page, along with their own thread.

Otherwise support/conversational chats form much of the activity that goes on around here in the interim between releases. You'll figure that out once the frenzy dies down and the regulars are still posting to various topics.

Lastly, your complaints probably won't be seen (unless mod alerted). Go here with your feedback.

6. vant macrumors 65816

Well the problem is, the rumor thread has a newbie unfriendly title. No one but geeks pretty much know that Arrandale is the codename for the next processor in the MBPs.

A nicer title such as "The Official 2010 New MacBook Pro Rumor Thread" would make more sense.

7. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

The mods here are deathly afraid of anyone getting offended. I got a warning once for telling someone they were an idiot for not backing up critical files before hacking around. If you never noticed, LetMeGoogleThatForYou is banned, if you try to post a link from there, the wordfilter won't let you. I really wish the MR mod staff would be like some other tech sites and have the guts to lock threads and leave a link to the Guides/sticky/MRoogle, but they won't, they just let the same questions about temps and battery health get asked OVER and OVER.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

that's because calling someone an idiot is rude and does not lend itself to an intelligent conversation. Its hard to have a dialog (this why the forums exist) when you're insulting someone.

Likewise with lmgfy, that's considered a smart-a$$ retort and does nothing to the conversation but side track it.

If you're unhappy with the moderation of the forums, might I suggest the feedback forum. Personally, if you or anyone else insulted me by calling me an idiot, I'd report that post. You can debate something without descending to the depths of name calling.

9. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

What do you need to keep track of? The thread title is self explanatory, and there's so much crap in those threads that it's not even worth "keeping track" of every post. There's a reason the previous five threads are in the Wasteland.

Provide a link to the solution or a previous thread, then report it and suggest that it be merged or locked. You don't report posts at all, do you?

The website is Macrumors, these are the Macrumors forums. How would a hundred new threads per week asking when the new MBPs are coming out be constructive?

From the rules under "Instantly Bannable offenses" :

You broke the rules and got off with a warning. It's very clearly stated.

From WildCowboy:

Report the post and the other threads that should be merged. I'm betting you're just sitting back and ranting without taking the steps to try and solve your problem like most of the other whiners.

10. itommyboy macrumors 6502a

itommyboy

Your post would have hit home with a thread title more like "is it just me or is this site bass ackwards?" It's the internet mate. You know kind of like the t-shirt that says " I see dumb people".

11. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I think there are separate threads for each "rumor" but the largest one is about a chip, it just happens to be that the chip may hit a few models of Apple's notebooks.

It's long but it's not all that confusing. I can summarize it for you:
    Arrandale - new chip
    MBPs - don't have Arrandale
    People want Arrandale (evidently)
    Apple hasn't given MBPs Arrandale yet.
    People bitch.
    Arrandale may or may not come.
    Arrandale may or may not hit the 13, 15 & 17" MBPs and MB line.

On another rumor note:
    Someone delivered a box to Best Buy
    His kid is on the net potentially ****ing his father out of a job.
    No one knows what is in the box or if there really is a box.
    It is probably not correlated to Arrandale.

iPads don't have flash.
    /fact

The end.

12. itommyboy macrumors 6502a

itommyboy

Daaaaaamn watch out Jes is unleashed. They should just drop that 100 page rant known as the "Arrandale Thread" and put only - this - post - in its place! Well said indeed. ;)

13. SteveSparks macrumors 6502a

SteveSparks

I thoight I should quote this message to make sure persons starting late in the thread can read this information. I might have a pithy comment about how clever you were for stating facts, but I'll keep that to myself.

Oh. It seems we are still on page 1 and the person above me already quoted your message. Hmm. I think I'll still keep the pithy comment to myself. If it helps, I'm laughing out loud.

14. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

The general conscious is that the forums here suck. Typically, decent forums reward its posters that put effort in their posts with better threads. This is not the case here.

A perfect example is the feedback forum. The epitome of uselessness. You can spend quite sometime putting an effort and time into proposing something useful for the site (like a design change, new forums feature, or whatnot) and find 99.9% of the posters mock it including mods. Editors might say, you are right. It is a good feature. kthxbai.

I remember when I proposed stricter forums rules (akin to the ones used on the much much better somethingawful forums), people started comparing me to hitler. No joke.

If you want to see how much meat a thread can have go browse the Apple threads in Software/Hardware Crap forum on something awful. Trolling or useless posts will get you instantly banned. The result, people with nothing to add don't post. Deleted posts never disappear (like Mods ridiculously do here), instead they are edited out inline and are replaced with the reason for deletion so every other user on the same thread knows why it was deleted.

The problem is as long as people here continue making threads, traffic comes to the site and nothing will be fixed. I know for a fact that a lot of good posters are gone or post a lot less now.

I rarely post a comment that is more than one line now. Why waste time anyway.

15. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I don't think pithy comments are allowed. Just sayin'.

Why so upset? The forums are what forums should be, a hot mess from time to time but generally entertaining.

16. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

They might be mocked, but 99% of the ideas suggested in the Site Feedback forum are either

-Not possible to implement
    -Not practical to implement
    -Not a good idea in the first place
    -Not worth anyone's time to implement
    -Technical issues that are due to the user's configuration or browser plugins

At least in the past couple years I haven't seen the mods mocking any serious suggestion, including your own thread about stricter rules in which Blue Velvet was pretty much the only one that bothered to give you a thoughtful response. In the other thread you started in Site and Forum Feedback about increasing the avatar size limit, you lead off with

...which to me just seems whiney and therefore asking to get flamed later on (which you did, and which you also started flaming in return).

You want stricter forum rules, but according to you,

Wow, that seems pretty strict to me.

Err... wrong by definition. That would be an edited post.

This happens in pretty much every established forum community.

17. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I think you probably meant "consensus" not "conscious", but be that as it may, I disagree. I think the general consensus around here is that these forums add value, and that is why people continue to return, read and post. While I respect your opinion, it does not necessarily reflect that of the majority just because you hold it.

If I felt as you do, I wouldn't bother coming here at all :shrug:

18. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

What sort of recognition would you like on an internet forum? This is one of the better moderated and ran forums that I frequent. Ok so it may take awhile for changes to occur, but they do happen, if the idea is credible (increase in Avatar limit as suggested by a user)

19. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I strongly disagree, however if that is your opinion which by the way is not the consensus you are free to leave.

20. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

How about we summarize with an Arrandale sonnet...or better yet a haiku:

Apple is behind
    MacBook Pro needs Arrandale
    I will post to bitch

21. jaysinnva macrumors member

jaysinnva

That seems to be the biggest theme in this forum, well said.

22. Sn0wball macrumors regular

Let's face it, the only reason this forum exists is for the owners to earn money from advert revenue.

There's never a shortage of Apple users foaming at the mouth about how good Apple is, pulling in the traffic, so it's a win/win for the owners. They don't care about the content.

23. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Not everyone is as cynical as you

24. iOrlando macrumors 68000

what is the big deal with these macbook pros and anderondiak updates. I dont get it. Weren't the macbook pros just updated with nice unibody titanium or something? Maybe I've been too preoccupied with iphone, but is this some type of cult or something for macbook pros. THose are the laptops right vs. Mac Pros are the desktops? so confused.