Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Benbikeman

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2011
London, England
I don't know exactly when Apple changed this, but when I changed from a mid-2009 MBP to a late-2011 one, I noticed that they've slightly rounded-off the edges. Visually it looks identical but you can feel the difference.

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009
Maybe they changed it on the 2011 then as my 2010 is still razor sharp. To make it any sharper they'd have to deliberately sharpen it and make the angle of the edge lower than 90°.

eron

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2008
Hmm never noticed my MBP's edges being sharp but..If I commit suicide, instead of using a knife i'll use my MBP :D

People use the MBA for chopping stuff. That's preferred for your purpose I think!
Bizzare-use-of-Macbook-Air-14.jpg

http://www.newlaunches.com/archives...nboy_uses_his_apple_laptop_to_cut_veggies.php

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
With Apple being so design obsessed and heavily testing their products in house I don't get how things like this are missed. Sure it got corrected, but how did it ever get out in the first place?

It was released that way because Apple's highest priority is style at all costs.

MacMilagro

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2012
Having owned and used MBPs since rev 1, I've never had this problem either. If something is unconformable to use for almost 4 years, wouldn't one have gotten a guard or some other type of protection?

There is a big difference between discomfort and outright pain. Once carpal tunnel like symptoms emerge -- then you make the connection that the sharp edge is not just annoying but potentially damaging to the carpal tunnel region of the wrist. I try to get 4 or 5 years out of my laptops, but in this case, I will need an immediate remedy and will consider a replacement, which is preferable to therapeutic treatment and surgery.

MaxPower72

macrumors 6502
never had an issue with the sharp edges but that's maybe because I collect knives?!?!?
You can try to use a set of these to change the inclination of the MBP:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-10-04 at 6.36.18 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-10-04 at 6.36.18 AM.png
    92.1 KB · Views: 108

MaxPower72

macrumors 6502
I own 2 sets of these and they are of the best quality ever, you can find them on eBay and Apple store. With 2 of these your wrist won't be at the discomforting angle that rubs against the sharp edge of the MBP, of course these works only when using the laptop on a flat surface.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
There is a big difference between discomfort and outright pain. Once carpal tunnel like symptoms emerge -- then you make the connection that the sharp edge is not just annoying but potentially damaging to the carpal tunnel region of the wrist. I try to get 4 or 5 years out of my laptops, but in this case, I will need an immediate remedy and will consider a replacement, which is preferable to therapeutic treatment and surgery.

Ok...but having discomfort for something I use every day for multiple hours is not something I would put up with, and especially knowing that it will lead to something worse. I'm not sure how that's different from what you're talking about unless you're saying that you're willing to put up with high levels of discomfort on a daily basis for 5 years but once it "hurts", that's the breaking point.

Benbikeman

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2011
London, England
I think the issue is being over-played with talk of injury! It's not a problem at all when used normally on a desk or on your lap, only when used at an awkward angle or height. While that will sometimes be the case with a laptop, it's generally possible to put it on a desk or lap so the situation isn't going to arise very often.

craftytony

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2012
Sycamore, IL
I was lucky enough to receive a 2012 macbook pro for work use, and have been using it now for about 2 months and haven't noticed this problem at all.

----------

Macbook air?

GadgetSlave

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2012
form over function

Tell an Apple fan boy your wrists hurt and they'll parrot the party line of "your typing posture is wrong". These clowns have apparently never used a laptop on the couch, in a bed, or on their LAP.

Sadly the g3/g4 Clamshell (toilet seat) models of 2003-05 were the last designed for lap use. Filing and sanding can help but you'll never get close to clamshell comfort.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.