Is it just meeeee...no LED?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DotCom2, Feb 22, 2009.

1. DotCom2 macrumors 68030

Why oh why does the iPhone not have an exterior LED indicating that an email has come in? :confused: Is it just me who really really misses this feature? I hate having to unlock my phone every time to check for messages if I have missed the very faint sound of the email tone that has come in. I have my iPhone in a case and in my purse most of the time making it even harder to hear. Please Apple, :apple: ( if you ever see these boards) on your next iPhone refresh add an external LED indicator. PLEASE PLEASE!

2. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Jailbreak ---> Status Notifier

Puts a notification on your lockscreen so you don't have to unlock.

3. DotCom2 thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks but I would really not want to have to do that to get a feature that should already be on there that is on most smartphones in the first place.

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

So maybe get another phone that does what you want?:confused:

Aside: I don't really understand any of these arguments.

"Oh, it has no copy-paste; it has no indicator light; it has no MMS; it has no flash (like the light)..."

If it doesn't have what you want, don't buy it. Enough lost sales and Apple will add what you want so that you will buy it.

Vote with your wallet: it's the only thing that works.

5. DotCom2 thread starter macrumors 68030

You know, you are correct! All those missing features you just mentioned bug me too. I am stuck with the phone I have now but I won't be upgrading to the next generation if it's still missing those things I need/want and I will indeed vote with my wallet!

6. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I will say that I do miss that feature from my Blackberry.

Here's hoping it'll be included in the next update...

7. alFR macrumors 68020

If only there were some way the OP could have researched the iPhone's functionality before purchase, like maybe a massive network of interconnected computers that could be "browsed" for information.

Oh, wait... :rolleyes:

8. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

As I'm sure you and the other large group of "Why didn't you research before you buy??" people did. :rolleyes:

Most people see the commercials and what the phone CAN do and maybe give it a test run in the store before making a decision. You really think the phone not having an LED indicator is a good reason not to buy, when compared to what it can do?? Okay.

9. alFR macrumors 68020

Er, you did read the post where the OP also complains about the lack of copy and paste, MMS, camera flash as well, didn't you?

So if that lot was important to him, why buy an iPhone? :confused: People should buy what fits their needs, whether that's an iPhone or not. Doing that might prevent a lot of complaining...

10. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

As a matter of fact I didn't. Mind quoting that one for me?

If you're talking about him agreeing with another poster's complaints, it's not really the same thing at all. The original post was created to express discontent brought on by the lack of an LED indicator.

11. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

I can't find that one..... OP has seemed to make a reasonable suggestion to me.

12. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

Yes, must be just you. I HATE that effen LED on my Blackberry. I love that my iPhone doesn't blink, very distracting. :)

13. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

eh very distracting in what way?

14. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

Keeps blinking over and over. :) I work for a law firm, gets tons of email everyday. Blinks red most the day then green and amber otherwise. My iphone vibrates once when I get my mail and since it's jailbroken, makes the sound I want. :)

15. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

Which pocket do you keep it in? No wonder you have that smile on your face :eek:

16. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

statusnotifier gets you halfway there, since you don't have to unlock your screen to check for emails... you still need to press the home button to turn on the screen to check for icons though. An LED would be great, especially since it could be implemented in a very Apple way... either around the earpiece, or behind the home button. And there could be a setting to turn it off for people who are annoyed by it.

17. kolax macrumors G3

Lock Screen notifications is something I really really want.

Upcoming Calendar appointments, new email, SMS and missed calls would be awesome..

18. Golden Master macrumors member

I too would like to see LED notification..

Bytethese - you might find that you can configure your blackberry not to blink at all and only vibrate if you prefer (I can on mine).

alFR - great sarcasm...you can't beat a sarcastic contribution

(doh! it must be contagious)

19. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

No pocket, on my leather holster on my belt...

20. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

I'll give it a try, but we have a pretty tight IT Policy on our devices restricting what can be changed. :)

21. Vandam500 macrumors 68000

Vandam500

Why not Jailbreak?

Without unlocking the phone as you can see I can check if I have:

1-New Emails,Text,Missed Calls
    2-Check the weather and even the condition (sunny,raining,snowing,etc)
    3-Check my calendar for upcoming events

All without unlocking my iPhone, just simply pressing the home button. I can even have it vibrate a certain amount of times for each notification if I desire. Come on, why not just jailbreak it, you know you want to:cool:

Attached Files:

22. Etnies419 macrumors 6502

What is that weather icon on the status bar?

23. Vandam500 macrumors 68000

Vandam500

Sunny:D It changes automatically as does the temperature next to it. Sunny, Cloudy,Raining,etc. It's neat!

24. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

Now that is imformation management.

25. Etnies419 macrumors 6502

Which source is it on? I don't see it on Cydia. Unless if it isn't on Cydia.