Is it legal to buy used software?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by macandipodfan, Dec 11, 2009.

1. macandipodfan macrumors member

I'd like to buy a copy of Final Cut Studio off eBay. I see that the older version (Studio 2) sells for a lot cheaper than 3. Is it legal to buy the full version (not academic or upgrade), providing that it is not installed on any other computer?

2. Truffy macrumors 6502a

Truffy

As long as it's not installed and not used as an upgrade path to a newer installed version by the seller, you should be fine.

3. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

It is legal for you to buy it and use it. If the previous owner used it to get the new version at a cheaper (upgrade) price, then it is very likely illegal for him to sell it to you. If he kept the software installed on his computer, then it is illegal for him to sell it to you.

4. macandipodfan thread starter macrumors member

What if I bought an earlier version (Final cut Pro 2 or something) and used it to upgrade to Final Cut Studio 3. Is this legal, provided the seller isn't using the copy or using it for an upgrade?

5. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Well in the most recent ruling I know of Vernor v. Autodesk, Inc. it seems that the sale of Final Cut Studio to you triggers the "First Sale" Doctrine. In which case you have full rights to resell this software and transfer ownership no matter what the license agreement states. Though this ruling has not cleared up the issue fully there are other cases being tried right now that will hopefully clear up the issue.

Source Arstechnica

On a side note. Based on the above ruling and the recent Quanta v. LG Electronics. Which the Supreme Court ruled that a patent holder did not have further patent rights after the sale of there patented product. I don't understand how Apple has a leg to stand on in their case against Psystar. Since Psystar bought copies of Mac OS X it sold with computers. It seems Apple would have no rights due to first sale doctrine and/or patent exhaustion.

edit: By transfer ownership I mean the seller eliminates any copies they own based on that license. If the copy is an upgrade the get rid of the upgrade on their computer. If they upgraded from a full version then sold that full version to you. Then they must delete the upgrade and full version.

6. elitesouth macrumors member

elitesouth

If the seller is advertising physical good with a retail box and/or disc(s), I would be more comfortable in bidding on it.

Do not bid for a serial number, activation code, or link to a direct download.