Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
Yeah I know. Dumb question but it seems like wherever I go now there are people walking around with iPhones. Just yesterday I was getting the oil changed in my car and in the waiting room there were 4 people with their faces looking down at iPhones.

Just one year ago I would see only a few every couple of weeks. Now I see more iPhones then other types of phones. Last year I had a co-worker that swore he would never part with his Blackberry. Last week I ran into him and he had an iPhone on his hip. When I asked him about it he said he "saw the light" 3 months ago when he realized he could be more productive at home and on the job.

I know that the iPhone's market share hasn't exactly taken over the mobile phone market but it makes me wonder what it will be like a year or two from now.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Well I would imagine if you're keeping up with current tech news as it relates to Apple, then you would know that the sales last quarter of iPhones were quite high. Therefore, my powers of deduction would conclude that there are probably more people with iPhones.

Now that iPhones have hit a price point of $50 for last gen refurbs, I can only imagine just how many people will buy at that price. At that price, if I had not made the move yet but wanted to, then I would be doing it right away.

colmaclean

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Berlin
Same thing happened with iPods. I used to feel special walking around Glasgow with my wee white earphones. A year later and every second ned had them on, too. :rolleyes:

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
I know what you mean, I no longer feel special for having one.. in fact, I do feel slightly special for having the original iPhone :D

techfreak85

macrumors 68040
Jan 13, 2008
Places
i see a lot of them. half the teachers at school have them. and i live in portland so there is a huge mac market share anyway.

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
There are more iPhones around, but when you have one, you will notice them more. If I get a new car model, I am more aware of that brand and seem to notice them more.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
We are not a special club any more. Even this guy probably has one:

omg_it_spins.jpg

musicman0725

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2007
I'm definitely noticing a lot more of them. I think with the lower prices introduced last year and now the release of the 3GS, the iphone has become one of the most popular phones on the market. Still I feel like everywhere I look I see one of the black or white 3G/3GS...the original iPhone is a little more rare to spot. I just got a 3GS and love it, but I do miss the look of my 2G iphone and the feeling of being one of the first to have such an awesome phone.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
It seems like half of all New Yorkers have iphones -- or more. Makes me feel a bit like a sheep. Maybe a better Android phone will come out or an updated Pre and I'll make the switch next year to be a little more unique. ha ha

colmaclean

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Berlin
All seven of us on my team at work have iPhones. Although being the resident Macophile, I was last to get one!

cellocello

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2008
Toronto, ON
It seems like half of all New Yorkers have iphones -- or more. Makes me feel a bit like a sheep.

You know, Toronto has a TON of iPhones too ... but I don't get that 'sheep' feeling. I see people using their iPhones, and I just to myself "Cool. I hope they're enjoying it."

I dunno, iPhone hasn't 'jumped the shark' for me yet. I think some colours may be needed next year to help "diversify" the offerings, but otherwise I'm OK with having the 5 people around me on the subway using the same phone as me.

geekmommy4

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2008
Texas
They are everywhere now! It's a great phone and I'm glad to see so many people enjoying them. However, I wish that more people actually knew how to use them. I'm always helping people with the basic functions and trying to get them to READ THE MANUAL! ;) There are SOOO many functions that aren't obvious!

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
They are everywhere now! It's a great phone and I'm glad to see so many people enjoying them. However, I wish that more people actually knew how to use them. I'm always helping people with the basic functions and trying to get them to READ THE MANUAL! ;) There are SOOO many functions that aren't obvious!

What manual? ;)
Apple only ship pathetic little leaflets with their equipment these days.

Getting the most out of it is a bit of an "easter egg hunt"…
:)

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
+1 ^^^ There's no manual shipped with the iPhone. The PDF is available, but the easiest thing to do is attend the iPhone Workshop at one of the Apple Stores. When I bought the iPhone for the War Department, she willingly attended one of the workshops and became an expert in about an hour....:p:p:p

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
+1 ^^^ There's no manual shipped with the iPhone. The PDF is available, but the easiest thing to do is attend the iPhone Workshop at one of the Apple Stores. When I bought the iPhone for the War Department, she willingly attended one of the workshops and became an expert in about an hour....:p:p:p

Open MobileSafari and tap the Bookmarks button. You'll see an iPhone User Guide. This is a pretty detailed guide and it's an iPhone webapp so it's easy to read too.

theimacdude

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2008
Yup!! Went out today and saw soo many iPhones!!
Also a lot of teachers in my school have them.

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
yup there are a lot more iphones then late 2007 2008.. when i got my iphone early 2008 people always wanted to see it and they seemed like they never seen an iphone before lol..
even my co-workers..

Dont you just hate teachers with iphones lol

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
When I got my first iPhone, the "classic" 2G Edge one, even in this metropolitan area, there were few times that I would spot another one "in the wild." Now I see iPhones everywhere. I was surprised, then, when getting together with my niece, who lives in NC, to learn that she'd never even seen an iPhone in person. I had pulled my 3G S⃣ out for some reason and she commented that she'd heard about them but hadn't actually seen one, so I guess that in the area where she lives they just aren't used much. Interesting......

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.