Is it me or does the iPad 2 have a better looking screen?

JoJoCal19

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
So I don't have an iPad sitting in front of me but I've used them pretty extensively and after looking at Engadget's videos and pictures, especially the close-up pictures, I think the iPad 2 has a much crisper, brighter and better looking display. It looks like the iPhone 4 display (which I do have right here) in terms of colors and quality, although not the high resolution. I had heard rumors before that they would be using a new panel that puts the screen right against the glass like the iPhone 4. I wonder if that is the case.

Anyone else think it looks better?

blow45

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2011
hmmm, interesting question, has the panel been replaced? Could the new one be thinner? And the glass be more anti reflective?

Do we know, yet?

Coukos34

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2009
So I don't have an iPad sitting in front of me but I've used them pretty extensively and after looking at Engadget's videos and pictures, especially the close-up pictures, I think the iPad 2 has a much crisper, brighter and better looking display. It looks like the iPhone 4 display (which I do have right here) in terms of colors and quality, although not the high resolution. I had heard rumors before that they would be using a new panel that puts the screen right against the glass like the iPhone 4. I wonder if that is the case.

Anyone else think it looks better?
I think it is hard to tell looking at videos online, but am really hoping this to be the case. It is weird that it was not mentioned during the keynote, however they did not mention the hardware for very long either. I guess just like the ram (even though I know it is 512mb), we will have to wait to find out more details.

BergerFan

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2008
Mos Eisley
This is the one area of screen tech that I realistically expected(I wanted Retina too, but knew it wasn't really likely).
The extreme thinness of the device, should mean that the screen is optically laminated by default.

Sherifftruman

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
hmmm, interesting question, has the panel been replaced? Could the new one be thinner? And the glass be more anti reflective?

Do we know, yet?
A few weeks ago when one of the fix it places got the alleged iPad 2 LCD, IIRC, they measured and it was about 1 mm thinner than the current iPad display. It would not surprise me at all if the new display is a touch better as well, given an entire year of progress on display tech in general and all.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
It's you. If it had a better screen Steve would have told us about it. Guaranteed.

Caris

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2006
It probably uses optical lamination like the iPhone 4. Which means the display is fused to the glass and that results in a slightly clearer view.

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
I guess a lot of people are still dreaming about retina display and somehow trying to tell themselves that iPad 2 has a better display than iPad 1.

iPad 1 display was fine to being with. It's your mind that ruined it.

apple can't help you here. Go see a doctor.

nooaah

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
I guess a lot of people are still dreaming about retina display and somehow trying to tell themselves that iPad 2 has a better display than iPad 1.

Was this necessary?

Justinm59

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2008
I thought the same thing when looking at the engadget videos. Although the fact that they (engadget) didn't say anything about it makes me think it just appeared that way on the videos. We can hope though.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
you cannot really judge a screen from a media event or a youtube video. Only seeing it in person can someone discern if the screen is better or not.

Caris

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2006
It has to be really though, the device is so thin I don't see how they could do it without making the glass and display one piece.

klover

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2009
I've noticed the same thing as well.

It looks like the screen is almost flush with the external glass trackpad and the "gap" between the screen and the glass (where people used to see dust particles) has been diminished or eliminated alltogether.

It also appears that the contrast is higher but who knows...

JoJoCal19

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

You obviously don't have a clue or anything valuable to contribute.

It was widely rumored that Apple was possibly changing the lcd panel for the iPad 2 to a thinner, fused piece. Whether that is the case with the newly announced iPad 2, we won't know until iFixit does their tear-down. Also I'm sure there will be people with both in their hands that can tell for sure. I'm merely saying that judging by the pics I've seen, the iPad 2 looks a little bit sharper and better quality.

darngooddesign

macrumors G3
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA

The screen can be better without going to retina.

snow blind

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2011
It looks like the screen is almost flush with the external glass trackpad and the "gap" between the screen and the glass...
Yup, thought the same thing. Looks to be flush, but that could just be b/c we haven't seen a white ipad first gen. Could be something with the color and clear portion of the uppermost surface of the glass? :confused:

duffer6

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2011
The better perceived image is an optical illusion. It is simply due to the fact the image is closer to the surface. Look at your Ipad one and you will see that the image is below the surface of the glass (not sure the distance) the IPAD 2 brings the image closer to the surface of the device thus a more realistic image since there is less glass material between the image and the surface of the Ipad. It is an optical illusion but hey I will take it.

Make sense?

gibbz

macrumors 68030
May 31, 2007
There were rumors dating back to February that Apple would switch to Samsung's Super PLS from the previous IPS. A look at the Apple iPad site, though, still shows the screen as being IPS.

I think it is the illusion mentioned previously.