Is it me or does the iPad 2 have a better looking screen?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JoJoCal19, Mar 3, 2011.

1. JoJoCal19 macrumors 65816

JoJoCal19

So I don't have an iPad sitting in front of me but I've used them pretty extensively and after looking at Engadget's videos and pictures, especially the close-up pictures, I think the iPad 2 has a much crisper, brighter and better looking display. It looks like the iPhone 4 display (which I do have right here) in terms of colors and quality, although not the high resolution. I had heard rumors before that they would be using a new panel that puts the screen right against the glass like the iPhone 4. I wonder if that is the case.

Anyone else think it looks better?

2. blow45 macrumors 68000

hmmm, interesting question, has the panel been replaced? Could the new one be thinner? And the glass be more anti reflective?

Do we know, yet?

3. Coukos34 macrumors 6502

I think it is hard to tell looking at videos online, but am really hoping this to be the case. It is weird that it was not mentioned during the keynote, however they did not mention the hardware for very long either. I guess just like the ram (even though I know it is 512mb), we will have to wait to find out more details.

4. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

This is the one area of screen tech that I realistically expected(I wanted Retina too, but knew it wasn't really likely).
    The extreme thinness of the device, should mean that the screen is optically laminated by default.

5. Sherifftruman macrumors 6502

A few weeks ago when one of the fix it places got the alleged iPad 2 LCD, IIRC, they measured and it was about 1 mm thinner than the current iPad display. It would not surprise me at all if the new display is a touch better as well, given an entire year of progress on display tech in general and all.

6. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

It's you. If it had a better screen Steve would have told us about it. Guaranteed.

7. Caris macrumors 6502a

Caris

It probably uses optical lamination like the iPhone 4. Which means the display is fused to the glass and that results in a slightly clearer view.

8. hcho3 macrumors 68030

I guess a lot of people are still dreaming about retina display and somehow trying to tell themselves that iPad 2 has a better display than iPad 1.

iPad 1 display was fine to being with. It's your mind that ruined it.

apple can't help you here. Go see a doctor.

9. nooaah macrumors 68000

nooaah

Was this necessary?

10. Justinm59 macrumors regular

I thought the same thing when looking at the engadget videos. Although the fact that they (engadget) didn't say anything about it makes me think it just appeared that way on the videos. We can hope though.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

you cannot really judge a screen from a media event or a youtube video. Only seeing it in person can someone discern if the screen is better or not.

12. Coukos34 macrumors 6502

I know, I saw this too but not sure if it is just the pic. Seems like it would be easy to find out though, which makes me think they didn't change it. Maybe this is the rumors we heard about problems with screen production.

13. Caris macrumors 6502a

Caris

It has to be really though, the device is so thin I don't see how they could do it without making the glass and display one piece.

14. Coukos34 macrumors 6502

I know, it does make sense. Lets hope so!

15. anti-microsoft macrumors 68000

I agree, it looks crisper. Look at this picture for example:

[​IMG]

Ams.

16. klover macrumors 6502a

I've noticed the same thing as well.

It looks like the screen is almost flush with the external glass trackpad and the "gap" between the screen and the glass (where people used to see dust particles) has been diminished or eliminated alltogether.

It also appears that the contrast is higher but who knows...

17. JoJoCal19 thread starter macrumors 65816

JoJoCal19

You obviously don't have a clue or anything valuable to contribute.

It was widely rumored that Apple was possibly changing the lcd panel for the iPad 2 to a thinner, fused piece. Whether that is the case with the newly announced iPad 2, we won't know until iFixit does their tear-down. Also I'm sure there will be people with both in their hands that can tell for sure. I'm merely saying that judging by the pics I've seen, the iPad 2 looks a little bit sharper and better quality.

18. darngooddesign macrumors G3

The screen can be better without going to retina.

19. snow blind macrumors regular

Yup, thought the same thing. Looks to be flush, but that could just be b/c we haven't seen a white ipad first gen. Could be something with the color and clear portion of the uppermost surface of the glass? :confused:

20. duffer6 macrumors 6502

The better perceived image is an optical illusion. It is simply due to the fact the image is closer to the surface. Look at your Ipad one and you will see that the image is below the surface of the glass (not sure the distance) the IPAD 2 brings the image closer to the surface of the device thus a more realistic image since there is less glass material between the image and the surface of the Ipad. It is an optical illusion but hey I will take it.

Make sense?

21. blow45 macrumors 68000

22. gibbz macrumors 68030

There were rumors dating back to February that Apple would switch to Samsung's Super PLS from the previous IPS. A look at the Apple iPad site, though, still shows the screen as being IPS.

I think it is the illusion mentioned previously.

23. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

24. Star-fire macrumors 6502

I know it's not directly said, but I get the feeling that's what he's talking about in this video at about 1:06 Reducing the 3 surfaces to 2, as in meaning laminating the display.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjlvmbJEUmk