Is it normal for battery life to get worse longer you own the ipod?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by cooper56, Oct 13, 2011.

1. cooper56 macrumors newbie

I have had mine almost one year battery seems alot worse not sure why. You think apple would design batteries that last long but i understand they want you to update every year.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Yes, lithium batteries do have a set life span and do hold less of a charge as they age. Some batteries last a lot longer than others though. My launch day 3Gs is still on its original battery with 750 cycles and it still hold 90% of its original capacity (1080/1200 mha).

3. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Yes but it's more likely how you are using your Touch. Do a search on improving iPod Touch battery life and the tips should help extend your battery life.

4. cooper56 thread starter macrumors newbie

Why dont they change battery i rather have a bigger ipod with a battery that does not have short lifespan.

----------

I have brightness around 10 or 15% all time i dont like it any lower but its not like i putt it max like some idiots and battery dies all time.

I turn off all stuff i dont need and so on and wifi when not home also.

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Its the technology of lithium based batteries that's to blame. That and mankind's current obsession with having everything smaller and better. Those two adjectives can rarely be applied to the same thing at the same time.

6. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Every single rechargable battery in the world has a limited lifetime. You can do a search for details for your iPod; for some iPod model I found that you are supposed to get 500 charge cycles until the battery capacity goes to 70% to 80%. So what iPod do you have, how has your battery life changed, and how often do you charge? Without that information nobody can tell you if there is something wrong with your iPod, or with the way you use it.

7. cooper56 thread starter macrumors newbie

So what should i do just buy new ipod? Is there no way to replace one i have.

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You can send it off to Apple and have them replace it for $75 I think. Or you can replace it yourself.

9. cooper56 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ipod 4g
    Every day

----------

My screen is bust also with crack so i guess might as well get new white model.

10. JoeShades macrumors 6502a

my first gen touch has been recharged well over 1000 times and still has decent battery life. i think if you don't abuse the battery it will be fine for a long time

11. Maxinuk macrumors member

When I first got my iPod Touch 4g i had the same issues as others with poor battery life. If you run a Google search for ipod or iphone battery problem you will get hundreds of pages discussing this - especially losing juice while on standby.

The most important two things are to permanantly have airplane mode on and double click the home button after every session to forcibly close all apps. This stops virtually all battery loss on standby even though I have WiFi permanantly on.

When you first set airplane mode it turns wi-fi off but you just go to wi-fi below in settings to turn it back on - that leaves airplane on and wi-fi on. No need to touch it again.

I always run Battery Doctor Pro too when plugging in, charge the ipod most days to top it up (don't let it go too low, ie below 40%) but once a month let it run down below 20% to perform a full charge cycle.

12. kartana macrumors newbie

Well, Wifi would be the biggest drain on the battery so why would you put it in Airplane mode and turn Wifi back on? What does Airplane mode do besides disabling all 'connections'? This doesn't make sense to me...
    And Battery Doctor does nothing, it's just an app to check the battery status.

13. Maxinuk, Oct 14, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2011

Maxinuk macrumors member

I'm no expert but just reporting what works from posts in topics that ran to 50 pages - Airplane seems to prevent the various apps etc from draining the battery when on standby as has been widely reported and discussed - you have to search around for this in various 'poor battery' topics but whatever it sure works. I used to get 50% drain overnight - however, with the above set-up it is 0%. The Battery app is 'supposed' to lengthen battery life and charge by the way it controls the charging process - how much this works I cannot say as I have not used it for long enough but most users report an improvement judging by the reviews.

The battery drain issue was widely reported after the last iOS 4.3 update:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?sour...LL_enGB350GB350&q=ipod+touch+4g+battery+drain

As well as Airplane on/wi-fi on it's best to turn all push notification and location services off.

14. Carouser macrumors 65816

Pretty sure this is a waste of time; Apple says it's not necessary and that it does nothing.

15. iTouch.lover22 macrumors regular

It's actually a good idea to run the battery down completely until the device shuts off about once a month. It recalibrates the battery with what's displayed on the screen, so it's possible the OP's iPod could have a little more juice than it says it has.