Is it ok to never shut down my laptop?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by QueenZ, Dec 8, 2008.

1. QueenZ macrumors 6502

QueenZ

Is it ok to never shut down my laptop? I mean, i hope it won't overheat or anything.. I have iBook G4 and i am wondring if i can just put it to sleep by closing the lid and leave it overnight and never shut it down.. is it ok?

2. iMouse macrumors regular

Nah...

I have left every Mac I've owned since my Quadra 605 on 24/7/365. The PowerBook G3 Wallstreet, Pismo, and Aluminum PowerBook G4 are still kicking after all of that power-on time.

The only thing I recommend is to allow the display to sleep. After many hours of use, the backlight in the older Macs (and most other LCD displays) begins to dim. The picture will become darker and on some models, the backlight will be slow to wake, leaving a slight pink tinge on the screen until it wakes to full capacity. This was common on the PismoBooks.

:D

3. QueenZ thread starter macrumors 6502

QueenZ

Well, when you close the lid, the backlight will automatically go out :) So you haven't shut down your mac for months?

4. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I've only shut down my 24" iMac maybe 3 times in the past year. I have my display turn off after 15 minutes and it goes to sleep after 30 minutes of inactivity. I also do the same thing with my Macbook Pro.

5. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

Thats fine, I always just put my blackbook to sleep and never had any issues. I do the same with my alu macbook its been up since i got it (only restarting for updates) I guess if youre going to leave it for a long period of time you can shut it down. but turning it off and on constantly is not good for it.

6. Macmel macrumors 6502

I only turn it off if I know I'm not gong to use it for a week or more. For example, if I'm going on vacation and not taking it with me, etc.
    Last time I turned it off was on November 10th, right before getting into an airplane. Since then my MBP has been on and just put to sleep overnight.

7. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

ive seen others say its "not good" to turn it on and off all the time... why is that??

8. QueenZ thread starter macrumors 6502

QueenZ

All that sounds really awesome and i hope it's fine to do that for iBook too.. not just MacBooks..

9. belvdr macrumors 603

Some people say powering on and off the electronics and the additional load on the hard drive motor to startup the platters can cause a short life. I've never noticed a problem either way.

10. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

My trusty old Powerbook's uptime is now 151+ days. It''s used every day, mainly for browsing, playing music and a bit of Dreamweaver.

Attached Files:

11. paolo- macrumors 6502a

Probably doesn't as the default setting for macs is to turn off the hdd when the computer is sleeping.

12. macffooky macrumors regular

You're going to have to let it shut itself down when calibrating the battery but other than that there's no compelling reason to do so.

13. deorg macrumors 6502

deorg

I never shut my macbook its at least one week on, just when I clean It its that I shut down and take the batery out.

14. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Mine's on 24/7; I just turn off the screen at night. I recently rebooted when it froze after an uptime of ~67 days. Been on 7 days since then.

15. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

Your hard drive will appreciate it if you power down your computer before transporting it in a vehicle, according to numerous scoldings from the genius bar directed toward myself.

16. amrk47 macrumors regular

what if you run low on memory, the only way to refresh your ram is to restart it? correct?

17. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Sleep should spin down and power down the HD. I've flown, and driven more times than I can count with my PowerBook only asleep. I drive a Jeep Wrangler so my laptop never gets a smooth ride.

18. danvan21 macrumors regular

With these new batteries you dont have to calibrate the batteries. PLuss he is probably always running on the magsafe anyways so the battery isnt in use.

19. paolo- macrumors 6502a

Euhm I can see that happening, mine didn't appreciate recording audio in a bus. But, as I already said, by default, when your macbook goes to sleep, so should the hdd. So there shouldn't be a problem with carrying around a sleeping macbook.

20. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

iFreeMem. Love it.

The first time, that was my argument. The genius bar guy was pretty adamant about the hard drive tho. Granted, I haven't much heeded his advice, but my hard drive is backed up and has a nice long warranty, and I can have a spare installed in a half hour.

21. QueenZ thread starter macrumors 6502

QueenZ

Well i don't travel anywhere with my iBook G4 so i guess it's fine! :)

22. krye macrumors 68000

krye

I left my 17" MacBook Pro on for 10 months. I had it on my desk on a monitor stand for ventilation. I picked it up off the desk the day I replaced it with a MacBook and noticed that the aluminum backing on the battery had warped to the point where it started to peel away from the battery.

The MacBook stayed on for about a year without any problems. I'd cycle the battery maybe once a month.

23. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

A Mac is a Mac no matter what processor it has or generation it was built. The Mac OS really hasn't changed. They basically work just the same since the first Macintosh.

24. QueenZ thread starter macrumors 6502

QueenZ

Yeah i know, i was just wondering if it can't overheat if never turn it off ;)

25. dragonmantek macrumors regular

dragonmantek

i've had this imac since 2006.

i've shut it down twice, once to install leopard, and another to install updates.