iPhone is it OK to update to iOS 8.1 on an iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Adriian., Oct 27, 2014.

1. Adriian. macrumors newbie

I'd like to know opinions because I want to update but I'm afraid that my phone will lose speed or something, I'm still on iOS 7.1.2

is iOS 8.1 good on the iPhone 5?

hope you can help me.

thanks in advance.

2. nepalisherpa macrumors 68020

nepalisherpa

We have two iPhone 5 with 8.1 and they run without any issue.

3. MaciMac100 macrumors 6502

Question is; why do you want to update? Is there some new important feature in iOS8 that you want? For example, If custom keyboard is very important then go for it. (I personally don't need that useless Klingon keyboard)

However, general rule of iOS updates is that it will make you device worse ie. slower. Safari will be slower = about 100ms higher sunspider result on your iPhone 5 for example. Apps will open slower etc. So if you want smoother OS better stay on iOS 7. iOS8 also brings many weird bugs.

4. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

Ive had a lot of problems with text messages not sending but im not sure how common that is. Both ios8 and Yosemite are being real pains for me at the moment.

5. MEJHarrison macrumors 6502a

My iPhone 5 is running just fine with 8.1. No issues.

6. MaciMac100 macrumors 6502

If iOS8 would make your phone faster there would be threads about it everywhere. But, for now, 8.1 only makes it slower. Safari now takes extra second before anything happens when clicking on links. What gives?

7. thekayman macrumors 6502

I waited till 8.1 and did a clean install. After one week, I see no difference in performance vs. 7.1.2. If anything, Safari seems to load (complex) pages faster than before.

On top, message and call forwarding to my Mac, as well as being able to send messages and make calls from the Mac are a big plus for me.

8. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Only stutter I find is when you first boot and the icons "fall" into place on the screen, there is a lag/stutter. It must be a software issue though because it did the same thing even on the iPad Air 2. Not on the iPhone 6 though, strange.

9. MaciMac100 macrumors 6502

What score do you get on sunspider 1.0.2? It was 800ms on iOS7 Safari? Have you noticed one second delay between clicking a web link and loading it?

10. bransoj macrumors 6502a

11. thekayman macrumors 6502

897ms, whatever that means

no page ever loaded instantaneously, so what does 1s delay mean?

12. MaciMac100 macrumors 6502

Well, 897ms means that Safari is slower and saying that its faster is just placebo.

Ios7= click on web page link. Os registers that instantly and starts loading page

Ios8=click on web page link. Lift your finger up. Nothing happens for 1 sec. Os is lagging and thinking what do... Then it starts loading page.

13. thekayman macrumors 6502

I don't care how much thinking the os has to do. What I care about is the total time from the moment I tap a link to the moment the page is fully loaded. To me, that time seems to be shorter on ios 8.

14. imagineadam macrumors 65816

You are right brother. Insanely annoying! It's the first thing I check after a major update and the first thing I noticed. I want my 7.1.2 back or just the safari from there. I missed the darn cutoff. So disappointed so far in iOS 8-8.1.

15. bushido Suspended

bushido

works perfectly fine on my iPhone 5. havent noticed any slowness unlike my iPad 3 lol

16. Adriian. thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks guys for all the replies and advices, I think I'm going to wait until a good update comes out, until then I will stay at 7.1.2.

I did not want any new features, just wanted to stay updated, but seems iOS 8 is not that good now.

thanks again!;)

17. Jantelagen macrumors regular

Jantelagen

I have an iPhone 5 32GB mainly used for music during my commute, and I always launch songs directly from Spotlight (pull down, quick search, launch), and this process has been significantly slowed down on every step since I updated to iOS 8. I do have somewhat of a large mobile music library with 4700 songs, but it was never this slow on iOS 7.1.2 as I can remember.

I've even ordered an iPhone 6 128GB since I'm running out of storage on my iPhone 5, and I've also promised myself not to update the 6 past iOS 9 since iOS 10 will almost certainly make it slower.

18. raggdoll macrumors regular

An extra second, OMG, the horrors :rolleyes:

19. melodrake macrumors newbie

melodrake

I upgraded today to 8.1 and so far it works fine. In fact, I feel like it's even faster, which may not really be true, but it just feels like it for some reason.

20. MaciMac100 macrumors 6502

Come on smartass. OP asked if iOS 8 would make iPhone 5 slower? And yes, it's slower OS compared to iOS 7.1.2. on any device. Some may say: "I dont notice it any slower than iOS 7". Just look at some tests and you will see it. There are also people who say iOS 8 is fine on iPhone 4s. Not.

There's no denying that iOS 7.1.2 is more lightweight compared to iOS 8. Iphone 6 would scream if it had iOS 7.1.2. Hopefully iOS 8.2 or iOS 9 will change this.

21. MaciMac100 macrumors 6502

Also, it's not that you had to wait second longer. You just don't know if your clicking was registered or not without any indication showing.

22. flyinmac macrumors 68040

flyinmac

I upgraded my iPhone 5 w/ 16 GB to 8.1 on release date. I have had absolutely no problems with it, and it doesn't feel any slower than it ever did. I've been through the versions from 6.x to 8.1, and never had any trouble on the 5.

As for page load benchmarks, I'd also say 1 second is hardly anything to worry about. One must also consider that there are other factors in page loads in your web browser. For example, Internet connection speed, congestion, other activities on the connection at the same time, etc. All of those factor in.

I notice greater differences than 1 second even on a computer depending on how much traffic is on a given site at the moment, how congested the connection might be, other things going on at the moment on my network, etc.

23. MaciMac100 macrumors 6502

It's not about page loading speed. It's about clicking link in Safari and then waiting too see if iOS registers your click.

24. Goncas macrumors newbie

I update it and ir run without issues. Only a few bugs like decreasing 2% of battery sometimes, instead of just 1%.

25. MaciMac100 macrumors 6502

But if we are talking about page loading speeds, IOS 8.1 is still slower than iOS 7.1.2 in Sunspider 1.0.2