Is it pointless to get an iPhone 5S now?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cogi, Mar 17, 2014.

1. Cogi macrumors newbie

Cogi

I just bought a MacBook Pro and I feel having an iPhone will be amazing for the experience. I currently have a Nokia Lumia 1020 but I have the money for an iPhone 5S. Should I just wait till the next generation of iPhone? I could easily wait till the end of this year/early 2015.

2. Ann P macrumors 68020

As always with these threads, if you want it now, buy it now.

But if you're willing and able to wait, just wait.

The Nokia Lumia 1020 is nice device. If I were you, I'd wait for the 6. You can also buy the 5S and sell it down the line.

3. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

wait if you can, but then why buy that when the 6s will come out? when you need a phone, get it. if it will bug you that a new one will come out then just wait or sell the 5s and upgrade.

4. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I think waiting and getting the new phone at launch is best. If you get it now in 2 years you won't be able to upgrade until this time of year and will end up with the same problem.

5. IJBrekke macrumors 6502

I just got a 5S because I needed a new phone. If the next model comes out and blows me away I can sell the 5S and buy the newest unsubsidized for about a $200 loss. So you can either have a new iphone for the next 6 months or save $200. That's your decision.

6. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

The 5S is still a great phone and I'm not saying it isn't worth it. But if you can live with the lack of apps I would stick with the 1020 and wait for the iPhone 6. The 1020 is still a decent phone if not a tad awkward to hold.

7. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I'd get the 5s, but that's mainly because I can't stand Windows phone OS.

8. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Depends on if you can wait or not. I know I can't, so it is far from pointless for me to get a 5s now. Regardless, it's only mid-March. You're looking at late-September before you can get one, that's quite a ways away.

9. Gincoma macrumors 6502

might as well wait for the iPhone 8s...doesnt make much sense does it?

10. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

Just get a used 5. The experience is identical to the 5s except for the fingerprint sensor. I have both and side by side running the same software there is zero difference in responsiveness.

11. Gincoma macrumors 6502

texting and calling yes you are correct, but games and multitasking the 5s is a huge difference

12. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I just bought a 5S for my parents over the weekend. I would've had them wait for the 6, but they really needed a phone. I figured it would take 8 months before the unlocked 6 is released, as the unlocked 5S was released in November 2013. 8 mos. is a long time.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Mid-cycle purchases are tough, no question about it. If you need it now, then its a great phone, but if you can hold off, then that would be the best.

14. Deguello macrumors 6502

If you're hoping for an amazing experience, you might as well buy it now and get the disappointment behind you. It's a phone. It's a pretty cool phone, but it's just a phone.

15. Caesars macrumors regular

Just wait, it's not as if you need a new phone and as the above poster said, buying mid cycle ... :-(

16. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

are you talking about and out-right purchase or burning an upgrade? This close to a new phone I would not upgrade if you are tight on cash. If you are buying the phone out-right and do not mind spending an extra $300 in a few months, go for it.

17. albertc macrumors newbie

It really doesn't matter when you get it. There is always going to be something better on the horizon.
    I would argue to get the 5s because it's a proven tangible thing. There could be issues with iOS8 or signalgate again, and you would be stuck with that on the iphone 6. I always just wait and get the s version.

18. Wide opeN macrumors 6502

Wide opeN

6 months is not a short amount of time to wait. I say purchase now, and resell the 5s in order to get the 6.

Problem solved.

19. Smartass macrumors 6502a

20. vikingjunior macrumors 65816

vikingjunior

21. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Don't buy the 5s at this point. You've a got a working smartphone for now so you are in a position to wait.

If your Nokia fails prior to the launch of the new iPhone, then you'll have no choice but to upgrade.

22. karatekidk macrumors regular

+1. Also, I ask myself if it's something I NEED or something I WANT. That usually helps me make a decision.

23. R.Stoychev macrumors 6502a

R.Stoychev

It really depends on you, if you want the 5s go and get it, if you don't feel like getting the 5s right now wait for the 6 :)

24. jr866gooner macrumors 65816

jr866gooner

Why not get it now? It will get you off that shameful OS with no apps! Do it! If you get a contract does it matter if you wait a bit for the new iPhone? Also it will be ideal to test the water to see if you even like the iPhone!

25. Merkie macrumors 68020