Is it pointless to get an iPhone 5S now?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cogi, Mar 17, 2014.

  1. Cogi macrumors newbie


    Feb 22, 2014
    Amityville, NY
    I just bought a MacBook Pro and I feel having an iPhone will be amazing for the experience. I currently have a Nokia Lumia 1020 but I have the money for an iPhone 5S. Should I just wait till the next generation of iPhone? I could easily wait till the end of this year/early 2015.
  2. Ann P macrumors 68020

    Jun 29, 2009
    As always with these threads, if you want it now, buy it now.

    But if you're willing and able to wait, just wait.

    The Nokia Lumia 1020 is nice device. If I were you, I'd wait for the 6. You can also buy the 5S and sell it down the line.
  3. carjakester macrumors 68020


    Oct 21, 2013
    wait if you can, but then why buy that when the 6s will come out? when you need a phone, get it. if it will bug you that a new one will come out then just wait or sell the 5s and upgrade.
  4. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

    The Doctor11

    Dec 15, 2013
    New York
    I think waiting and getting the new phone at launch is best. If you get it now in 2 years you won't be able to upgrade until this time of year and will end up with the same problem.
  5. IJBrekke macrumors 6502

    Oct 24, 2009
    Long Beach, CA
    I just got a 5S because I needed a new phone. If the next model comes out and blows me away I can sell the 5S and buy the newest unsubsidized for about a $200 loss. So you can either have a new iphone for the next 6 months or save $200. That's your decision.
  6. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020


    Mar 19, 2012
    The 5S is still a great phone and I'm not saying it isn't worth it. But if you can live with the lack of apps I would stick with the 1020 and wait for the iPhone 6. The 1020 is still a decent phone if not a tad awkward to hold.
  7. T5BRICK macrumors G3


    Aug 3, 2006
    I'd get the 5s, but that's mainly because I can't stand Windows phone OS.
  8. PDFierro macrumors 68040

    Sep 8, 2009
    Depends on if you can wait or not. I know I can't, so it is far from pointless for me to get a 5s now. Regardless, it's only mid-March. You're looking at late-September before you can get one, that's quite a ways away.
  9. Gincoma macrumors 6502

    Sep 10, 2013
    might as well wait for the iPhone 8s...doesnt make much sense does it?
  10. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

    Feb 9, 2014
    Just get a used 5. The experience is identical to the 5s except for the fingerprint sensor. I have both and side by side running the same software there is zero difference in responsiveness.
  11. Gincoma macrumors 6502

    Sep 10, 2013
    texting and calling yes you are correct, but games and multitasking the 5s is a huge difference
  12. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

    ET iPhone Home

    Oct 5, 2011
    Orange County, California USA
    I just bought a 5S for my parents over the weekend. I would've had them wait for the 6, but they really needed a phone. I figured it would take 8 months before the unlocked 6 is released, as the unlocked 5S was released in November 2013. 8 mos. is a long time.
  13. maflynn Moderator


    Staff Member

    May 3, 2009
    Mid-cycle purchases are tough, no question about it. If you need it now, then its a great phone, but if you can hold off, then that would be the best.
  14. Deguello macrumors 6502a


    Jun 29, 2008
    If you're hoping for an amazing experience, you might as well buy it now and get the disappointment behind you. It's a phone. It's a pretty cool phone, but it's just a phone.
  15. Caesars macrumors regular

    May 16, 2013
    Just wait, it's not as if you need a new phone and as the above poster said, buying mid cycle ... :-(
  16. mattopotamus macrumors G5


    Jun 12, 2012
    are you talking about and out-right purchase or burning an upgrade? This close to a new phone I would not upgrade if you are tight on cash. If you are buying the phone out-right and do not mind spending an extra $300 in a few months, go for it.
  17. albertc macrumors newbie

    Sep 26, 2011
    Austin, TX
    It really doesn't matter when you get it. There is always going to be something better on the horizon.
    I would argue to get the 5s because it's a proven tangible thing. There could be issues with iOS8 or signalgate again, and you would be stuck with that on the iphone 6. I always just wait and get the s version.
  18. Wide opeN macrumors 6502a

    Wide opeN

    Aug 27, 2010
    6 months is not a short amount of time to wait. I say purchase now, and resell the 5s in order to get the 6.

    Problem solved.
  19. Smartass macrumors 65816

    Dec 18, 2012
  20. vikingjunior macrumors 65816


    Aug 17, 2011
  21. barkomatic macrumors 68040

    Aug 8, 2008
    Don't buy the 5s at this point. You've a got a working smartphone for now so you are in a position to wait.

    If your Nokia fails prior to the launch of the new iPhone, then you'll have no choice but to upgrade.
  22. karatekidk macrumors regular

    Nov 30, 2008
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    +1. Also, I ask myself if it's something I NEED or something I WANT. That usually helps me make a decision.
  23. R.Stoychev macrumors 6502a


    Dec 23, 2012
    It really depends on you, if you want the 5s go and get it, if you don't feel like getting the 5s right now wait for the 6 :)
  24. jr866gooner macrumors 65816


    Aug 24, 2013
    Why not get it now? It will get you off that shameful OS with no apps! Do it! If you get a contract does it matter if you wait a bit for the new iPhone? Also it will be ideal to test the water to see if you even like the iPhone!
  25. Merkie macrumors 68020

    Oct 23, 2008

Share This Page