Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

colin348

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2018
According to your screen shot you have Wifi on - not suggesting that might cause an issue but if you're connect via Ethernet I'd turn the wifi off.
Oh okay thanks I had it up in my room where I didn’t have wired internet access and I just put it in my basement where my router is and it must be still connected to WiFi.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Yeah I get most image and text based sites like this site

I’ll try go and try tenfourtube right now thanks

For OWB make sure you toggle javascript on (cmd J I think) or youtube won't load in any case.
[doublepost=1534613439][/doublepost]
Yeah I get most image and text based sites like this site

I’ll try go and try tenfourtube right now thanks

I take it you have 10.4.11 running with all updates too?

Reactions: z970

colin348

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2018
For OWB make sure you toggle javascript on (cmd J I think) or youtube won't load in any case.
[doublepost=1534613439][/doublepost]

I take it you have 10.4.11 running with all updates too?
I just got both to load up but they both greatly struggle and can hardly put out a frame per 5 seconds

Yes it’s at 10.4.11 with all the possible Apple updates installed for 10.4.11

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
I just got both to load up but they both greatly struggle and can hardly put out a frame per 5 seconds

Really? On my 500Mhz machine OWB plays well, drops the occasional frame but is watchable. Go back and try Omniweb with the user agent I suppied, that usually works better. My Tonvid pack is guaranteed to play fluidly unless there's something wrong with your Mac but it's not a browser/viewer, at these speeds, downloading and playing through MPlayer is best.

colin348

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2018
Really? On my 500Mhz machine OWB plays well, drops the occasional frame but is watchable. Go back and try Omniweb with the user agent I suppied, that usually works better. My Tonvid pack is guaranteed to play fluidly unless there's something wrong with your Mac but it's not a browser/viewer, at these speeds, downloading and playing through MPlayer is best.
Do you think the problem with owb is the res is too high? How do I lower it. I think I already tried omniweb with the user agent you supplied when you PM’ed me more options for YouTube.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Do you think the problem with owb is the res is too high? How do I lower it. I think I already tried omniweb with the user agent you supplied when you PM’ed me more options for YouTube.

It's not too high for mine?

If you use this user agent in OWB

NokiaN90-1/3.0545.5.1 Series60/2.8 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1

That will force the browser to choose the 3gp file, which should then open it in Quicktime (or Realplayer if you have it).

Again, this is a proven method and should work on your iMac too.

3gp files are tiny and can be played back on 200Mhz smartphones.

colin348

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2018
It's not too high for mine?

If you use this user agent in OWB

NokiaN90-1/3.0545.5.1 Series60/2.8 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1

That will force the browser to choose the 3gp file, which should then open it in Quicktime (or Realplayer if you have it).

Again, this is a proven method and should work on your iMac too.

3gp files are tiny and can be played back on 200Mhz smartphones.
QuickTime doesn’t work on mine because of my location/isp. I’ll download realplayer and try it though.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
QuickTime doesn’t work on mine because of my location/isp. I’ll download realplayer and try it though.

That wont help - if QuickTime won't do it then no streaming software will - at least that's the case here.
[doublepost=1534623363][/doublepost]
I saw SNES9X and other emulators in that video.

just want to inform there is retroarch for our OSX PPC, even most up to date versions with latest emulator gits are compiled. Like mGBA, a accurate GBA emu. Better then running a old core :) Grab it :D

https://buildbot.libretro.com/stable/1.7.3/apple/osx/ppc/

I did try that a year or so ago - from memory it was too CPU intensive for my DLSD.

Reactions: Traace

AphoticD

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2017
For the OP; have you disabled IPv6 on your Ethernet and AirPort devices? Use the Network prefs pane to configure IPv6 to “Off”. This should sort out many browsing delays and apparent non loading in WebKit based browsers.

OneWindowBrowser is still playing YouTube perfectly fine over Airport on my 10.4.11 ‘Books.

colin348

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2018
For the OP; have you disabled IPv6 on your Ethernet and AirPort devices? Use the Network prefs pane to configure IPv6 to “Off”. This should sort out many browsing delays and apparent non loading in WebKit based browsers.

OneWindowBrowser is still playing YouTube perfectly fine over Airport on my 10.4.11 ‘Books.
the audio works flawlessly, but the video doesn’t show up. The G3 is just too old for any YouTube videos anyway. It’s decent for listening to music lyric videos though.

Reactions: AphoticD

colin348

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2018
Not so - I've had Youtube playback even on a 300Mhz iBook - when everything is set up, it's fine - though you'd be crazy to think it's ideal, my objective was to prove it can be done :)
I might just have to find a friend who is better with computers than me and try to download your tonvid software on my iMac. It looks pretty useful if I want to make my G3 a semi-modern computer.

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
I might just have to find a friend who is better with computers than me and try to download your tonvid software on my iMac. It looks pretty useful if I want to make my G3 a semi-modern computer.

If you'd like to remove it afterwards, I'd recommend doing it with AppCleaner. It is the best uninstaller for OS X ever.

Reactions: colin348

AphoticD

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2017
It sounds like it could be a QuickTime issue. Try reinstalling QT. I think 7.6.4 was the last Tiger version (is that correct?).

As @Dronecatcher points out. Even the lower end G3 is able to playback the low quality YouTube video, but it’s not totally ideal. As a test, I got my PDQ PowerBook G3 233MHz with 512K cache and 256MB of RAM to successfully playback YouTube videos using OneWindowBrowser with zero tweaks. It was like watching a blurry slideshow but audio didn’t skip much at all. So it does work and as you’ve pointed out, it makes listening to YouTube music videos quite doable.

Reactions: colin348

bopajuice

Suspended
Mar 22, 2016
Dark side of the moon
I was thinking about selling it. It’s the specs in my sig (or whatever they’re called on Macrumours) so it could go for at least 250 bucks. I wanted a vintage iMac that’s still capable of doing basics today and I think with the money I’d get for the G3 I could probably get an eMac

"Basics of today" with 1gb of ram and a 40gb hard drive?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.