Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Andius

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 15, 2018
Good day!

Yesterday wanted to clean few keys on my keyboard and used water mixed with alcohol soaked into bit of cotton. One or two drops got between keys and as I'm used to robust Logitech keyboards, did not expect entire keyboard to go haywire. First letter "o" stopped working, then several other keys, then it started randomly spamming different symbols without me even pressing anything.

For example: "]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]kkkkkkkkk"

I have Mac Mini with keyboard being separate. It looks somewhat like this, only with wire:

https://store.storeimages.cdn-apple.com/4974/as-images.apple.com/is/image/AppleI nc/aos/published/images/M/LA/MLA22LL/MLA22LL?wid=572&hei=572&fmt=jpeg&qlt=95&op_ usm=0.5,0.5&.v=1496944005839

Unplugged it, left it upside down for a night, used ventilator to blow hot hair on it (after reading how some people fixed their even bigger liquid accidents with this method). Now tried again. About 24 hours has passed. It seems keys are not acting on their own, but 6 keys are still completely non-responsive, including "i", "o", and "p".

I'd like to ask, is it possible to reprogramm keyboard to use those letters with some other keys I do not use? For example the extra number keys or the f4-f9 keys?

Also, if anyone can give advice - is Logitech K120 keyboard functional with Mac? Current broken keyboard cost a lot and local area has very limited protdcts. If possible I'd rather try with cheaper version if expensive Apple one break so easily.

MC6800

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2016
It's possible to remap some keys (e.g., remap Caps Lock to Control), but i, o, and p? Can we assume you're not a touch typist? Using a K120 would certainly work better than that. Of course better would be one of the many Mac-key-labeled keyboards you could buy, Apple or non-Apple.

A method I've found works well (for any keyboard) is to hold the keyboard upside down while cleaning with a well-wrung-out damp cloth. Keep it upside down until it's dry.

4Queen

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2013
You'll be fine to use a non-Apple keyboard with your Mac Mini -- it might be a little confusing at first because some keys, such as Command, will have different labels. On a non-Apple keyboard pressing the Windows key will get you Command, etc...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.