Is it possible to change the Apple ID in the future?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lsquare, Jun 25, 2011.

1. lsquare macrumors 6502

So let's say my Apple ID is user1@me.com. I buy some apps using that Apple ID. I know that if I were to make purchases using multiple Apple IDs, I can't merge them all into one account. However, what if I want to just change the Apple ID? Let's say I want to change the Apple ID for that account to user2@me.com. Will that be possible or that no name change is possible?

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

3. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I have one of the old Apple ID's before you were required to use an email address. The new iPhone setup screen doesn't allow usage of these old ID's. It says I need an email address so I tried changing it in my account settings. Didn't seem to work.

4. DLyman macrumors member

I just changed mine today. Go to Store, then View my account in iTunes. Then click edit next to the Apple ID.

5. DLyman macrumors member

It worked for me today doing it through iTunes. I also had one of the old ones that wasn't an email address.

6. shandyman Suspended

you can change it.

but you cannot merge 2 accounts, say you had an Apple ID prior to mobileme, then set up a mobileme account later, you cannot merge them.

7. lsquare thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, I'm slightly confused from reading the posts here. I just created @me.com e-mail address from iOS 5. Let's say it's user1@me.com. I'll be using that account to buy my apps and magazine subscription. 2-3 years from now, should I decide to use a different e-mail account, say user1@live.com, can I change my user1@me.com to user1@live.com? I'm not looking to merge accounts. At the end of the day, everything will still be in one account. Essentially I'm just looking to change my Apple ID login name.

Thanks!

8. shandyman Suspended

yes you can change it, like i said. you just cannot merge a seperate apple ID to a me.com

9. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

another yes. i just changed the family account as we switched cable providers.

10. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

You're right. I was able to get it changed today.

11. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

Weird. I've just gone to my account looking to change my Apple ID, which is iloveapples@mac.com, and it does NOT let me edit it to one of my Gmail addresses. So what gives? :confused:

12. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

when i did mine i opened itunes. went to store tab at the top. clicked view my account. then the first thing listed is apple id and on the left it says edit. when i click edit i type the new id into the field then enter the password, verify it and click done. is this what you did?

13. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

Yup, that's exactly what I did. Here's a screenshot:

[​IMG]

14. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I think I miss understood what the OP was asking, but either way, when I try to do the same as you I get this.

[​IMG]

15. lsquare thread starter macrumors 6502

You're right and that I don't see an option to change the ID. What's going on?

16. testcard macrumors 68030

testcard

I'm finding this thread a little confusing too. Some months ago I attempted to change my Apple ID (AKA my screen name) to myname@me.com from my previous Apple ID of myname@isp.co.uk. It wouldn't let do this, other than to add an additional email contact address - not the same thing as changing my Apple ID. To cut a long story short, I ended up with a second Apple ID called myname@me.com. If I log in with my new Apple ID, naturally all the apps I bought originally are inaccessible, and I can't merge two accounts although my credit card details are the same for both.

17. Goldfrapp, Jun 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2011

Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

I dunno about others, but as far as I know, you've never been able to change your Apple ID. Once it's set, it's set permanently.

There's ONE exception though: you are able to change your Apple ID to any email address ONLY IF your old Apple ID is in the form of a simple word blahblahblah without the trailing @me.com or @mac.com.

Here's a screenshot of my alternative account whose Apple ID is in the form of a simple word (not email address). Since it's not in the form of an email address, I'm still able to change it to any email address I want. Once I make the change, it's changed permanently.

[​IMG]

18. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

If you have an @me.com account, you can't change it.

If you have a third party e-mail account (GMail, Hotmail, etc), you can.

Simples.

19. lsquare thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the confirmation!

20. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

One thing apple needs to address is the merging of account data. I have a family pack MM account and managing it with purchases and back to my mac is a PITA.

I want to (being the admin and the paying parent) be able to monitor freely without having to log in to separate accounts. Their should be a master account that can tap into other sub accounts without needing separate logins.

Managing the iTunes purchases is also a nightmare, we have duplicated purchases on the app store many times over on our family pack and unless you have daily family meetings with the MM members, telling you got angry birds today, everyone else is buying it too.

I find this to be the biggest flaw of the MM family pack, however I am certain it is by design. More $ for apple for certain, and I would bet it is a lot.

21. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

mine is a email address and gives me the option to change it.

22. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

Sorry, my previous post isn't 100% correct. As 0dev has already mentioned, if your Apple ID is a third-party email address (Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail, AOL), you can still change your Apple ID to any email address you want. As long as you don't change it to a MobileMe email address, the change is NOT permanent.

23. LoganT macrumors 68020

What's the reasoning for Apple allowing you to change your Apple ID if you use an email service that's not their's? But if you use their email service you can't?

24. Goldfrapp, Jun 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2011

Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

For the same reason Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail, AOL don't allow you to change your email address. ;)

25. lsquare thread starter macrumors 6502

This is a bit off-topic, but I figure it could be related enough that it's worth posting in this thread. One of my Apple ID is using a @live.com address. It's currently associated with the Canadian iTunes store. Is there any way for me to change it to the US iTunes store? FYI, I do have a valid US credit card and address to use.