Is it possible to get a iphone 5s and still keep my unlimited data?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Mrfatboy, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Mrfatboy macrumors 6502

Hi all,

Last year I was able to do the 'Verizon loophole' and get an iphone 5 while keeping my 'unlimited data' plan. This left me in the below current situation.

iphone 5 Unlimited Data Upgrade eligibility NOW!!!
    iphone 4s 2G data Upgrade eligibility 9/17/2014

The phone plan is a shared 700 minute. No free texts.

Now the other twist to this questions is that my parents have the same Verizon phone plan with 2 feature phones that are both eligible for upgrades. They possibly would let me have one of their upgrades. They don't text and barely use the phones. I think they pay $70/month. They are hard pressed to get a smart phone and pay more for the Verizon Share Everything plan. They just don't see the need.

I personally don't want the Shared Everything plan because it would be a major downgrade for me. Not only is it more $$$$ I have to share 1GB of data between my wife and I. It's not very enticing.

So knowing my situation is there any way to wangle an iphone 5s and keep my unlimited data?

Thanks for any suggestions.

2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Buy the phone outright, off contract. Easiest way to do it.

3. Mrfatboy thread starter macrumors 6502

I forgot got to add that I do not want to buy the iphone at full price.

4. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

is it possible to transfer your upgrade from the 5 line to the 4s line? and when you get the new phone just move the sim from your current phone to the new one?

5. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

This would also likely be possible, was just giving the easiest scenario.

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Then, there is no easy scenario.

7. Mrfatboy thread starter macrumors 6502

But does that force me to the Share Everything Plan? I want to stay away from that.

8. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i don't think it will force you onto the data share plans. and honestly, i think the easiest thing would be to call up verizon. they were always very helpful and accommodating whenever i wanted or needed something. be up front and tell them you want a new iphone but don't want to lose unlimited data; see what they can do for you.

9. Mrfatboy thread starter macrumors 6502

That can be a crap shoot depending on the Verizon Rep you get. I did read here that some people actually added a line, upgraded, switched and cancelled it all with a 3 day period. It seems convoluted but it worked for them. I'm not sure if it would work in my situation.

I'm sure a lot of people are in the same situation and will be asking this question in the next couple weeks.

10. DylPickle85 macrumors member

Has anyone confirmed with Verizon if they will allow you to keep the unlimited data buying unsubsidized full price iPhone 5s ?

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes.
    If you buy it full price you can keep the unlimited data.

12. DylPickle85 macrumors member

Thanks, I just wanted to confirm… I did this last year and was able to keep the unlimited data, just wanted to be sure that it is the same at this point in time still

13. Mrfatboy thread starter macrumors 6502

There are three other possible ways to keep your unlimited data on Verizon.

1) upgrade another phone on your plan that does not have unlimited then switch the phones.

2) Similar to #1. Use an upgrade that DOES NOT have Unlimited from a friend's or family's separate account then switch the phones. Of course, the friend's for family's account must be already not be grandfathered in to Unlimited or don't care.

3) I have read on this forum but have not confirmed is to add another $9.99 line. Get the Iphone 5s. Swap phones then cancel new line within 3 days.

The trick is never to upgrade the actual phone with the unlimited data plan.

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Correct.

15. angelp66 macrumors newbie

that sucks

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I know.
    On AT&T you can keep unlimited and still get the $199 price.

17. fjd726 macrumors regular

On #3, how is it possible to cancel that line and still keep the contracted phone? doesnt make sense.

----------

#3 below.....

18. Mrfatboy thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm not sure either. I read it here on macrumors. It was the 'Verzion Loophole" thread toward the end.

19. C DM macrumors Westmere

You'll have to return the phone or perhaps pay the ETF (if not even the full price difference if you cancel so quickly and not return it).

20. ghoti macrumors member

I was hoping to pull off this idea to upgrade my 4 with unlimited data -- this way seems super-risky.

I'd be fine paying $10/mo more to just keep the dumb line active -- does anyone know if that still works?

21. Oldmanmac macrumors 6502

I did, with AT&T0.

I lost my iPhone 4, then bought an iPhone 5 on an add to the account ($10). Wanting to keep the same phone # as my main number I switched the 5 to the main account and put an old 3GS on the extra account.