Is it possible to install non-server on mini-server?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by SSonnentag, Jul 4, 2012.

1. SSonnentag macrumors member

I accidentally bought a mini server, but really don't need the server features and would prefer the simplicity of the non-server OS. But I haven't had any luck in installing Snow Leopard on the Mini. Is there a way to do this?

2. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

do you have the 2011 server or the 2010 server?

3. MacFanBoi macrumors regular

Isn't the server version identical to the non server osx apart from the administrative tools which you don't have to use if you don't want.

4. Darby67 macrumors 6502

Op states he can't install Snow Leopard, so the assumption should be 2011.

Correct. If OP doesn't launch the Server feature, then it is the standard install. Once Server is launched all server stuff is then rolled out.

5. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

Not looking to assume it is a 2011 , but if it is installing snow leopard is only possible via a hack.

this thread on apples site lets you know how to put in snow on the 2011 mac minis along with other;

' lion only' macs.

it is long but it can be done with the correct steps

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3209335?start=0&tstart=0

Since apple has allowed this thread to continue on their own site for almost a year I don't feel wrong about linking to it.

I did do it ( more then 3 months ago) and got mixed results.

I have a different way of using snow and lion mixed along with windows.

6. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Server features may not run but the initial setup and user experience is very different. You don't pick a username of I remember right. Forced to just pick a password for Admin. Plus it asks a lot of questions about your networking hosts. I had bought Lion for an old Mini and saved the DMG from that. Reimaged the machine with the Client and all is well :)

Unfortunately using Internet Recovery puts the server back on, so you'll have to get the client install elsewhere.