Is it possible to use Norton Ghost to re-create my PC on a mac?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Whackintosh, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Whackintosh macrumors 6502

Would love to have the option of having my old PC on my soon-to-be-new iMac, and was wondering if it would be possible to use Norton Ghost to install it for use in Bootcamp. Or, do I need to install Vista seperately on the Imac before I can do anything with Ghost (or similar software)?

To be clear, I'd be using OSX almost all the time, but as a security blanket of sorts, I'd feel better knowing that my old PC setup was there and accessible whenever needed.

2. Whackintosh thread starter macrumors 6502

3. dantherevelator macrumors regular

Why not install Windows on your Mac and then use the files and settings transfer wizard to migrate your data?

4. Whackintosh thread starter macrumors 6502

Because my old PC came with Windows pre-installed and zero re-install discs. :(

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Windows have stupid driver and registry issues. Cannot transfer easily.

6. dantherevelator macrumors regular

I think the Files and Settings transfer Wizard can handle creating an ad-hoc network if you connect your Mac and your PC together with an ethernet cable. Then you don't need your original PC's discs-- you can move your old Windows data into the new Windows install.

7. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

If you use norton ghost - when the machine boots regardless if it's bootcamp or Virtually you will get a bluescreen.

8. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Try Winclone. I know it works well moving from one drive (with BC partition) to another. I used it to move not only from a different drive, but also from a different model Mac (different CPU and chipset).

You would need to prepare the partition using BC, not through Disk Utility.

If it does boot, then use the Leopard install DVD to install the Apple BC drivers.

9. Whackintosh thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks everyone. I think I`m just going to buy a copy of Vista and go the vanilla route to play it safe.

10. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Good Move!