Is it really worth it Jailbreaking your iPhone?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by BvizioN, Feb 7, 2013.

1. BvizioN macrumors 601

BvizioN

I jailbreak my iPhone usually just for few tweaks, biteSMS and couple of themes. In my own experience, every time i do jailbreak i don't get the smooth user experience that i normally would get when the phone is not Jailbreak. WinterBoard keeps crashing, phone is slower, battery indicator is somehow not accurate! Keeps drooping from lets say 80% to 69% without indicating 79%,78%,77% and so ON. But anyway, stuff that i normally would tolerate.

But this morning, when i woke up and had a look on my phone i saw this stuff (the blank white squares) that i never installed on my phone!!! My initial reaction was trying to delete them as you would normally do with the Apples way, even though i know it won't work that way. I went to Cydia on manage section to see if i can identify them and remove... but i could not see anything!

Where did all this stuff came from?

My phone is right now going back to manufactures reset through the iTunes. The only reason i like Apple products is because i don't get this kind of hassle on them. But it appears you do after jailbreaking it.

Not sure, it may be just me or maybe i did something wrong. But the only thing i had downloaded from Cydia is SBSettings, BiteSMS, Notifier+ and couple of themes.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Prabas macrumors 6502a

Prabas

Respring and those icons should dissapear. For me, at this moment, Jailbreak is needed just for Sparrow to have push notifications. Auto brightness on iPhone 5 is fixed finally, you don't have to manually adjust it for dark/bright places. So there's no need for NCSettings.

3. madsci954 macrumors 68030

It's only worth it if it will satisfy your needs. Like Prabas said, he/she needs it for Sparrow. But like my needs, the stock OS satisfies them fine so no need to jailbreak it.

4. Xenomorph macrumors 65816

Xenomorph

Stop installing UGLY CRAP and your device won't run poorly.

Just because you're jailbroken doesn't mean you're required to load it down with junk.

5. BvizioN thread starter macrumors 601

BvizioN

Lol, but i haven't :) I have only installed very few (4 or 5) I wanted SBsettings, biteSMS and notifier. Couple of themes for which i paid $2.99 because i did like them.

6. Demonface macrumors 6502a

I suggest to remove the theme and that should fix the problems in which you face.

7. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

This post should be in the JB forum. That being said remove winter board and i bet most of those issues go away.

8. MacPC macrumors regular

I use to jailbreak my iPhone for one main reason - the ability to connect it to my 27 inch monitor. A feature I wish Apple would build in the iOS. Now there is an App called AirServer using the Air Play technology, it allows me to mirror the iOS devices to any Mac or PC monitor WIRELESSLY! my Dream came true! :p The app is only $15.00 well worth it.

With that, I have no reason to jailbreak. Not to mention Apple seems to step up its effort in this cat and mouse game, who knows, the next update might as well patch the loophole to dim the j/b useless. :eek: Waste of time and risk jail bricking. Not worth it.

I like to keep my be loved iPhone 5 in one piece, inside and out. :D

----------

Be careful with what you buy on the non-official App Store. I spent 5 bucks on an app in my old days of jailbreaking few years ago. The app no longer exist and I wasted the money. :mad:

----------

May I ask why you want to make a beautifully designed UI looks so hedious?
    You don't need to jailbreak the iPhone for that, all you need is a Windows phone. ;)

9. tkwolf macrumors 6502

I think it is!

I don't use themes though.

I only use:

BiteSMS
    Color Keyboard
    NCSettings
    Zephyr
    KillBackground
    iCleaner

that's it

10. iRebound macrumors regular

Yuck. Get rid of your themes and winterboard. Mine is running smooth.

I have the following:

Bitesms
    Sbsettings
    Ncsettings
    Auxo
    My3G
    MyWi
    Hook's law
    Springtomize

11. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I totally agree with both of you. I jailbreak for a few tweaks and could careless about themes. Most of the people I see with issues come from winterboard, most importantly the lag.

bitesms
    ncsettings
    location holic (so I can watch spots if blacked out in my area)
    Adblocker
    nonewsisgoodnews
    facebreak

12. johndallas999 macrumors 6502a

johndallas999

I agree, look at that hideous winterboard theme. YUCK!

13. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

You guys have to stop hating on winterboard. I had it on my 4S and it ran perfectly smooth. I'll be getting the iPhone 5 soon and I'm assuming it'll be the same but I can't say just yet.

14. lokster macrumors 6502

lokster

i jailbreak for winterboard and SBsettings.

try not using notifier+ and reboot the phone, it should go away. could be one of the rare bugs of winterboard to show hidden apple stuff :rolleyes:

:cool: and dont believe the haters, winterboard is free and for everyone who wants to add themes to their phone :cool: freedom of choice is power and i respect your desire to customize your phone with themes :D

15. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Winterboard is buttery smooth on my iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.

Current Theme : iboss iOS, from theme it.

16. pooleman, Feb 8, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2013

pooleman Suspended

pooleman

What phone do you have and what network are you on? Is MyWi worth the $20? HAve you gotten an AT&T warning yet?

Also, how is iCleaner? Is it hard to use? Do I need to work it from my computer or can I operate it right from the phone? Does it improve battery?

17. Adutrumque macrumors 65816

Adutrumque

It's amazing how ugly taste people have in themes.
    Personally, I'am not using Winterboard at all. Prefer the classic look with gadgets.

And by the way, the reason it looks like that and slows down and **** is because you install cracked tweaks on it. No wonder it acts like that.

18. MacPC macrumors regular

YUCk is the word. :) Whoever did it was on LSD or Crack. :)

19. iRebound macrumors regular

I have the 5 on AT&T. I've used it when I had the 4 and 4S. Haven't used it on the 5 yet. Never got any warnings from AT&T. Just be smart with it. Don't tether all the time. Use it only when you really need it.

20. labman macrumors 604

labman

Agree Saurik Jay Freeman is the Dev for Winterboard. MOst often the people that have issues are the ones that install 60 tweaks. Then want to know where the problem is and somebody points to winterboard.

21. iMas70 macrumors 65816

I came in this section because I'm wondering the same thing as the OP. I've never jailbroken a phone but was thinking about doing it to my 5 because I've seen some interesting things that can't be done on a non-jailbroken phone. But, I don't want any problems. I would like it to be as reliable as it is from the factory.

I've been into modifying cars for better performance and racing for years. Yes, it can be fun but there always ends up being some problem and reliability goes down. Don't want the same thing to happen to my phone.

22. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

What are the interesting things that you want to accomplish?

23. noiceT macrumors 6502a

LOL. That was awesome.

24. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Hell yeah its worth it.
    Im so happy now that my i5 is JB and I installed all my favorite tweaks.
    I dont theme or use winterboard.
    Just the packages that I need and use and that's around 10 things.
    Runs solid with no probs and with much added functionality.
    Thank you Evasi0n.

25. Hungry&Foolish Suspended

No, if it's the only device you have. I might if i had a spare one.