Is it really worth it to wait for new MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by comptonassneil, Aug 10, 2008.

  1. comptonassneil macrumors newbie

    Aug 10, 2008
    I just bought a MBP and want to know the things they are rumoring about is really worth waiting for, or if the present generation will be just fine for the years to come.. any suggestions?
  2. atluten macrumors 6502

    Mar 24, 2008
    Present generation will be fine for the next few years. No need to worry. Enjoy using your new computer!
  3. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

    Insulin Junkie

    May 5, 2008
    Mainland Europe
    The next noticeable upgrade will be Nehalem, you have years to go yet. =)
  4. jroller macrumors regular

    Jul 24, 2008
    Charleston, SC
    As an owner of the 1st gen MBPro, I promise you are fine for years to come. I see no reason this machine would not serve me well for the next 3 years minimum. That said, I'm buying a new MBPro as soon as the new one is released.:D
  5. Scepticalscribe Contributor


    Jul 29, 2008
    The Far Horizon
    MBPs are designed to last years, and to be fully functional and of relevance for that time - therefore, I expect that you will get many years of enjoyment and use out of your machine. I treated myself to my MBP in April, and expect to have it for at least a few years. I'd imagine the planned changes will be incremental, as will the ones after that, rather than revolutionary. It will take a while before your beautiful MBP becomes a machine that it a little behind the times. Meanwhile, enjoy a fast, powerful, awesome and beautiful machine. Cheers.
    :apple: MBP 15.4", 2.4 ghz, 2 GB RAM, 160 HDD
    :apple: iPod classic, 30 GB
  6. THX1139 macrumors 68000


    Mar 4, 2006
    The computer itself doesn't get obsolete, it's the software that causes it to slow down or lose it's value. So, if you don't require the bleeding edge when it comes to programs, then you should be able to get many years out of your machine. However, if you do a lot of processor intensive tasks and like to keep your software up to date, then the life of the machine will be less. For example, I have an old g4 500 mhz Titanium laptop that I bought in 2001. I used to be able to run Finalcut pro on it, but the newest versions of FCStudio doesn't run at all. The laptop is still chugging along but I only use it for email or occasional web surfing - but even those tasks can seem slow compared to my MacPro. If I keep the software on my MacPro current, then eventually it will seem to slow down too!

    The good news is that the next major OS update (Snow Leopard) might actually improve the performance of currently shipping machines. The current shipping MBP are amazing machines that should give years of performance. But just be aware that a case design is imminent along with other updates. If your the type who likes to have current technology, then you might be upset in the next few months if you don't wait.
  7. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030


    Sep 18, 2003
    London, UK
    I love my machine (current generation, bought in February 2008) and I'm really happy with it. Before that I had a 12" PB bought in September 2003 which is going strong. I could still use it, but the 80GB HD was full with music and photos and I cracked into buying a new machine. No regrets though - now I have 2!

    If return it and play the waiting game you could be waiting a while. People were saying that updates were going to happen in June but that didn't happen did it? Realistically, the next revision will be September, with minor case revisions and a new keyboard, but then you may as well wait until Nehamlen some time next year... :p
  8. bertpalmer macrumors 6502

    Apr 12, 2007
    New machines are always coming out - they won't be able to do anything radically different to the machine you currently have, which is extremely powerful and very capable.
  9. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040


    Sep 29, 2005
    Why did you buy something that you knew would be updated very soon, then ask whether you should wait for the new one or not?

    Yes, of course you should wait, it's going to be here in like two months.
  10. gnasher729 macrumors P6


    Nov 25, 2005
    It is always the case that you could wait a bit longer and get a bit better computer, but then you would have to put up with your older or with no computer that much longer!

    I would predict that in three years time, your MacBook Pro will still be an absolutely usable computer. Three years is about the time where it is not unreasonable to buy a new Mac, but you can easily live with the old one if you prefer spending your money on other things. Six years is about the time frame where people with brand new Macs can do things that you can't do with your old one.
  11. bartzilla macrumors 6502a

    Aug 11, 2008
    I myself am waiting because I have no pressing need to buy right this second, but what you have right now is a very nice bit of kit that will most definitely be very good at what it does for a good few years, no worries. There's a lot of speculation but no actual guarantee that new MBPs are about to be released and you can go mad waiting if you need something right now but let all the rumours about what tomorrow brings get inside your head!

    There's always something better around the corner, whether we're talking cars, computers or houses there is always a risk something better will appear on the market in the next few months, rather than focus on what might happen tomorrow, I'd get on with enjoying your nice new purchase.
  12. kingtj macrumors 68020

    Oct 23, 2003
    Brunswick, MD
    Only 1 potential "catch" I can see ....

    There's been a lot of bad press lately about the nVidia chipsets used in the current MBP models failing prematurely. I was *just* about to sell off my original model Macbook Pro (2.0Ghz Core Duo) and upgrade to one of the current 17" models with the hi-res display, when all this stuff about the video chipsets came to light.

    Now I'm more tempted to hold out a little longer and see what the next revision does with the video. I'd seriously consider a 3-year Applecare extended warranty for that model you've got now, though - in case it acts up just outside the factory 1 year time-frame.

  13. 7031 macrumors 6502


    Apr 6, 2007
    I've had my macbook for just 6 months and the GPU has completely failed.

    I would return it, but the replacement would have the same chipset.

    Ebay time, and time to get a PC.
  14. collegedu3 macrumors member

    Jun 2, 2008
    One other thing worth thinking about is the normal MacBook casing upgrade. I was flipping through MB vs. MBP configurations on Apple's store website, and other than screen size the MB can perform at the same speeds as the most basic 15" MBP. I've only been interested in the MBP for its larger screen size and ostensibly more durable case (my MB's plastic case is cracking, despite no misuse on my part, seriously). But if the MB comes out in a metal case and a slightly larger screen, I'll be tempted to save the dough. Unless of course, the MBPs offer great advantages over MB configurations.
  15. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040


    Sep 29, 2005
    You do know that the failure rate isn't even close to 100%, right?

    Have fun.
  16. kingtj macrumors 68020

    Oct 23, 2003
    Brunswick, MD
    That's what I'm talking about, BUT ....

    eBaying the thing and switching to a PC notebook doesn't make a lot of sense either. First off, this nVidia chipset issue is affecting pretty much ALL the manufacturers. It's not just an "Apple" thing by any means. Dell just published something about a number of their notebooks having this issue.

    Just like the "bad capacitor" problem that plagued everything from Asus motherboards to Apple revision A iMac G5's, it will eventually have to get dealt with by using updated replacement parts.

    I like OS X and a number of Apple's innovations on their notebooks (mag-safe power adapter, for example) too much to just move to some generic Windows laptop. If anything, I'd look at getting Applecare. Then, no matter how often the GPU fails, you can keep sending it back for a new logic board, until they reach a point where the substitute parts resolve the issue permanently. (That's got to be coming sooner, rather than later -- but nVidia is surely going to stall as long as possible, to reduce the expense they're going to get hit with, overall, correcting this for all the manufacturers!)

  17. kmarketing macrumors 6502

    Mar 26, 2004
    I would say wait if you can (but it looks like you couldn't).

    I have my early mbp, and still love the experience that I get from it. I also like how mine looks exactly the same as the latest ones now. But there is supposed to be a major casing redesign, and if nothing else, that may be worth the wait.

    So if you can get by with your current setup, I say hold off from spending on the current offerings until the new ones come out. That may be sometime in september or the fall after the education discounts have ended.
  18. semicharmed macrumors regular

    Jul 24, 2005
    New Orleans
    I have a powerbook that's coming on 3.5 year old; and while I definitely notice its age compared to people's MBs & MPBs, it's still more than capable of everything I need it to do - usually a combination of Word, Photoshop/Illustrator/InDesgin CS2, iTunes, iChat, Safari, occasionally some Civ4 - and it's more fast enough for that.
    I also work for my college paper, and we're still running entirely on G5s (both single & dual core) and those still fly. And some of them are coming on 5-6 years.
  19. The Hammer macrumors 6502

    Jun 19, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    I have to say I would have waited for the new models.
  20. NorthLane macrumors newbie

    Aug 11, 2008
    I don't know, I might have waited since the refresh will be pretty soon...

    My MBP 17" has been running just fine and it's one of the first Santa Rosa ones to come out. Got it a little over a year ago and it's never had any problems, they're a beast. They may upgrade it a little, change the buttons on the keyboard or give slightly more speed and better graphics, but I'm thinking no major changes will come till the Intel i7 starts getting implemented. Because that's the next logical step for Mac, besides better GPU's that is, which my Nvidia isn't bad at all.

    I'd be happy with what you have now, because it will be quite a while before any substantial updates come out that aren't software related.
  21. sushi Moderator emeritus


    Jul 19, 2002
    I still use my PowerBook 15. It is 5 years old. Works fine.

    While you may not have the latest and greatest, your current MBP should last you a while.
  22. n8236 macrumors 65816

    Mar 1, 2006
    I have an original Macbook Pro back from 2006 and it has served me very well with the exception of a couple part replacements since it was first generation. It's a very solid piece of engineering.

    I'm waiting for the new release next yr.
  23. fjs08 macrumors 65816

    Jun 25, 2003
    My MBP is near 2 yrs old now. I find it very slow. Takes about 30 seconds to load up Excel in the morning. Seems to chug along.

    Many nites it won't shut down, or takes about 2 minutes to shut down.
    yesterday I couldn't open iPhoto. Had to shut down completely and restart.

    At startup, it auto opens Safari, Mail and Calendar.

    Thinking of getting a new one. Should I notice any speed, or other difference?

  24. kmarketing macrumors 6502

    Mar 26, 2004
    Have you considered:

    1. More memory
    2. Bigger/faster hard drive
    3. Checking you current hard drive for efficiency (are there hidden processes somewhere)?

    That can usually help before you put down a nice chunk of change.

Share This Page