is it really worth it?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Kat King123, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Kat King123 macrumors regular

Kat King123

hey, im just a couple weeks away from upgrading my old ibook g3 with a mb
    ive seen some pretty good deals on ebay/craigslist but i have noticed that all the good deals seem to be the ones with a core duo processor not the more recent core 2 duo im mainly going to use this computer for music editing(im in a melodic band) and for when i go to collage (im in 9th grade now) and also to run windows 7 with parallels i am goning to max out the ram and possibly get a faster hd so considering all this is worth it to get cheap deal on duo core or save up for a core 2 duo mb? thanks:D

2. Kat King123 thread starter macrumors regular

Kat King123

see this is why my ibook sucks double post soz =/

3. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

Get the C2D... if even for Snow Leopard alone. The C2D's a quite a bit faster than the CD's not to mention the CD's are only 32 bit while the C2D's are 64bit.

4. Kat King123 thread starter macrumors regular

Kat King123

yea i know about them being only being 32 bit but i dont really need snow leopard that much i mean isnt it just supposed to be more support 64bit and not really anynew features i mean leopard is amazing i dont see how they can top that:D

5. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

If your in 9th grade, and plan to use this computer in college you will be wanting whats out then. Computers will be 4x faster by then.

6. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

Not everyone can afford a computer every, especially apple computers which carry a pretty large price premium. Most computers are useful for much longer than people hang onto them for.

7. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I would say a Core 2 Duo, MacBook. Since you are in 9th, and want this laptop to last all the through college, you must future proof yourself as much as you can. This means, get the fastest MB model out there you can. If you can grab an unibody, the better. However, if budget is tight, a plastic white one with the nVidia graphics would suffice.

The white MB can grab up to 4 GB Ram and can have plenty of HDD space. Plus it has Firewire.

8. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Unless your current computer is literally falling to pieces, I would hold off. You should be able to get a job in the summer and make enough to buy a brand new MacBook. More to the point, you're in ninth grade. You're considering buying a machine that is already at least two years old. You will not want to take a six year old machine to Uni with you.

Keep your iBook. Work during the summer, and buy a new MacBook when you graduate.

9. miggitymac macrumors 6502a

miggitymac

It's going to be 3 years before you begin college and at least 7 before you graduate...that's a long time for technology to change.

I'd hold off until at least 1st year of post-secondary to buy a new computer. Things will have changed drastically by then (hopefully).