Is it redundant to get an iPad now?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MacAttackKev, Sep 22, 2014.

1. MacAttackKev macrumors member

Hey everyone!
    I have been patiently waiting for the next iPad mini refresh to get my first iPad (Have been using a friends on and off and have been considering on buying one), but with Apple's new iPhone 6 plus, I'm questioning if I should get one anymore?

Ideally I also wanted to upgrade my old iphone 4s (still on ios 5 :)) to an iphone 6 (regular) and then get an ipad mini (mostly to watch movies, view power point lectures/ PDFs, and surf the net).

Maybe it's just peer-pressure, since everyone seems to be opting for the plus rather than the regular one haha, but I'm now considering the plus even more now rather than getting and ipad and an iphone. Although I have mixed feelings with the size, it will always be a phone first for me before anything else and I'm more for portability.

Anyone willing to give some advice?
    And feel free to tell me why you opted for a plus rather than a regular one, I'm curious :D

2. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Thats a personal decision.

For myself I tried out an iPad Mini w/ Retina and returned it. If I was on the go I had my iPhone with me, if I'm at home I have my MBA. No real place I ever said to myself "man, I wish I had an ipad here."

3. MacAttackKev thread starter macrumors member

True, although I was hoping for other people's opinions to base my answer on that as well, I appreciate the post though!

4. Dheck2355 macrumors member

It all boils down to how much you want to spend. I have both the 6 plus and an iPad. The battery life in an iPad is far greater, as I can watch several movies from a streaming service and still have good battery life left. The iPhone 6 plus, while I love the phone the battery would be dead if I tried to do the same streaming on it. Besides the money factor, for you it'll have to be a personal preference. Just sharing my preference. Good luck in your choices. :)

5. 2IS macrumors 68030

I have an iPhone Plus (using it to post this reply) and I'll be buying the next iPad when it's available.

6. PhillyGuy72 macrumors 6502a

PhillyGuy72

Personally I ordered the Plus. In short have a 2nd Gen iPad - pretty darn slow and can't be updated to IOS8. I was considering a Mini untilI heard the buzz months ago about the 5 1/2 screen iPhone..all rumors back then, but turned out to be true. Waiting for the phone, should be here Wed, but I have played with it (6 Plus) at the Apple Store. Forget the Mini, this will do just fine! Its what I call a iPad Mini Nano - with a phone..lol Now this is the part where it will be personal preference, how it feels in your hand---you make a lot of calls. It is very large in person - the press photos on the net are misleading..it's BIG, even I was taken back by how big it is. I've seen a lot of people on this forum that are actually turned off by how massive it looked when they put it up to their ear and talk.

Some other benefits if it matters, what the Plus does that the regular 6 doesn't, the home screen with icons flip into landscape mode - like an iPad. Watching movies on the improved HD 1920x1080 screen was beautiful! Sure it will look slightly bigger on a Mini. But in terms of video quality..I thought the 6 Plus was much better. Taking video, photos..unreal quality!

Some advantages with the new Plus, What I have on my old iPhone 5 is a lightning cord with an HDMI connection. Plug that into any flatscreen HDTV and the picture was darn good. It should be 100x better with the 6. (Cords are available at Apple..but you can find them cheaper on Amazon)

Also in terms of Wifi, LTE connectivity - as of right now the 6 Plus is far better and faster than any iPad out there right now.

Tough decision, BUT if you're dead set on a iPad Mini, I'd say wait a few more weeks..the new iPad models should be coming out - iPad Air 2, Mini 3 rumored October 21.

And the current ones you see in stores, the prices will drop dramatically.

7. Surf Monkey macrumors 68020

Surf Monkey

For me? No way. The battery life on the iPad Air is unreal and nothing beats the screen. The Plus doesn't replace it except for situations where I'm traveling.

8. michikade macrumors regular

michikade

I probably won't upgrade to a newer iPad due to my 6+ (although continuity is nifty), but I use my iPad for casual surfing and things while my phone charges currently. It also has all of my books on it because it was originally purchased as a replacement for a dead e-reader. Also more complex games I always prefer the "big screen", same for Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Instant Video.

9. SundayDuffer macrumors 6502

SundayDuffer

First gen ipad mini is still being used daily. Wont get a new one tho.

10. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

I actually got a 6 and a 6+ for redundancy and the fact that I now have a backup device in case of a dying batter because no way in hell am I going to put a mophie on either of these phones due to size.

Redundancy itself isn't a bad thing. And with an iPad Mini you can have a great device to use while saving battery on your iPhone for more important tasks than FB and internet browsing.

11. dsa420 macrumors 6502

I got the 6+ and just sold my mini for $600 this evening. My opinion is mini = redundancy

Waiting for 12 inch to come next year

12. CaptMarvel macrumors 6502a

CaptMarvel

I was contemplating an iPad mini when I still had my iPhone 5. Now that I have the iPhone 6 Plus, I think I will opt for the iPad Air when the iPad Air 2 drops as it may be lower in price.

13. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

I have a 1st gen iPad mini and iPad 3. With the iPhone 6+ I don't think I really need a mini anymore. I have considered upgrading my iPad.

However, iOS 8 runs good on the iPad 3. There is a pretty good chance I will wait for the next to upgrade.

14. supertomtom, Sep 23, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2014

supertomtom macrumors 6502

supertomtom

I feel the same way about my iPad mini now that I have the plus. But if the rumour about the iPad pro is true, then that might be enough to make me upgrade as it'll complement the plus well.

15. loon3y macrumors 65816

loon3y

well i like to use my iPad outside or in public places that have wi-fi

its pretty ridiculous now to have a laptop sitting in my back yard, its just too big, gets hot, and its uncomfortable.

or sitting on a bench in a public place.

i dont like streaming on my Phone either, its just way to small to per say watch a whole movie or multiple episodes.

Also, true iPad apps are totally different from iPhone apps, ones that truly take advantage of the screen, with multiple views and such.

it offers much more data/information on a screen than what a phone can offer.

its quite the opposite, i hardly touch my macbook and use it only for work. while i use my iPad or my desktop.

16. gazzrenn macrumors 6502

gazzrenn

It's all obviously personal preference, but I'll weigh in anyway...

I'm iPhone 6 / iPad Mini Retina / MBA 13"

This gives me a nice selection / spread of screen sizes.

I imagine if I were iPhone 6 Plus then my choice of having an iPad Mini might be redundant and I'd go for an iPad Air...

17. zetti macrumors 6502a

zetti

Keeping my iPad for home use as my phone is my portable 3g/wifi device and sometimes I like to be able use iPad too but really it depends on what you use the iPad for.

18. MacAttackKev thread starter macrumors member

Very good points brought up, Thank you! :)

Ironically that was the apple set I was going for to begin with haha. I like each of them for different things/uses. Glad to know I'm not the only one!

19. gazzrenn macrumors 6502

gazzrenn

:cool:

20. EdMan macrumors 6502

EdMan

I have iPhone 6 / iPad 3 / MBP 13

I just held a 6 plus for the first time yesterday and while its a large phone it's still a small screen for watching movies to me. I still prefer an iPad for that. Now an iPad mini might be redundant compared to a plus. It comes down to personal preference. Battery life makes a big difference as well.

I really don't like the "all in one" approach. I like to still separate my devices by what they do best. But that's me.

21. bob24, Sep 23, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2014

bob24 macrumors 6502

I think it depends on how your are using the iPad.

For me, my Wi-Fi iPad Air is a device I use at home when I don't want to be sitting at a desk in front of a computer, mostly to browse the web, read emails, and read digital magazines - and I also take it with me when travelling as it is much more convenient to carry around and use than a laptop at the airport/station, on the plane/train, and when relaxing at the hotel (and I have some applications which provide next desktop experience). In my case I don't think the 6+ makes sense as I use the iPad only in semi-mobile situations and the main benefit to me is to have a large screen and good user experience (which a larger iPhone wouldn't deliver as well).

Now I think for someone who has an iPad mini with cellular and is mainly carrying it around all day long as a larger mobile communication device than their phone to be using in truly mobile scenarios, the 6+ could make a lot of sense. As long as the scarified screen real estate doesn't bother you and if the main factor is portability, you can consolidate two devices into one which is more convenient to carry around and is saving you some money.

22. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Since you're upgrading to a 6, opt for an iPad Air.

23. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

I wouldn't buy an iPad until they have at least 2GB of RAM. They're all ripe for an upgrade and everything on the shelves is obsolete.

24. megapopular macrumors 6502a

Some apps are for iPad only. That may warrant having an iPad for some!

25. burgman macrumors 65816

burgman

Thanks for the laugh:)