Is it safe to buy a rMBP now?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BJonson, Jan 26, 2014.

1. BJonson macrumors 6502a

BJonson

What's going on with the rMBP screen burn/ghosting problem? Is it still a problem? Are all new rMBPs coming with samsung displays or are they still shipping with bad LG panels?

2. Wishbrah macrumors regular

5th serial number is X; 15 inch with 750m. LG display...it is amazing.

3. MaulRx Suspended

Yes, it's safe. The zombies have all left the Apple store and went of to the Abercrombie and Fitch for new polos.

All kidding aside, I just bought one four days ago and it's great, no issues.

4. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

Is it safe to buy a rMBP now?

Hmmmmm.. Safe.. not sure if EVER 'safe'.. Better not!! :D

5. mneblett macrumors 6502

Well, my release-day rMBP hasn't had those problems, so it's not clear to me that it was ever "unsafe" to buy an rMBP.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I see no ghosting on my LG panel and the color is excellent (especially after calibration). I've seen a Samsung panel that just seems can't be calibrated correctly. My previous rMBP had a Samsung panel was excellent. So I don't see what the fuss is.

The only thing I'm annoyed with is the lack of antiglare display options, one I've temporarily solved with an antiglare screen protector (PowerSupport makes good ones—I bought mine in Japan [It's call PawaSapo in Japan if you're curious]).

For other things, some people like to concern themselves with the different SSD controllers Apple uses (Sandisk/Marvell vs Samsung). Yes, on paper Samsung is faster, but can they really tell in practice? Heck I can't even tell my SSD is encrypted with FileVault even though there is suppose to be a performance penalty.

I just hope it ends at that; before you know it we'll be comparing Elpida, SK Hynix, and Samsung memory chips! (Samsung has always been the best ;))

Or who makes the battery! Or the power adapter!

Yes, the rMBP is safe to buy; it won't kill you.

7. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

mine as well. besides the squeakiness of the keyboard. which seems to be going away now.

8. vmflapem macrumors 6502

World War III begins if you buy it

9. RetinaMbP macrumors newbie

Picked up my rmbp last week, have been using it non-stop. No issues.

10. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

The only way to be absolutely certain you won't be upset by your screen is to never buy one!;)

11. SVT Amateur macrumors 6502

I've noticed no ghosting on my rMBP but I haven't really been looking for it either. I'm content with my screen.

12. christarp macrumors 6502

christarp

I bought one a few weeks back and it was perfect first time. Completely happy with it.

13. PeterKG macrumors 6502

Week 50 (V) December. Perfect evenly bright white Samsung display with no IR. Entire computer is working flawlessly.

14. DiCaprioAngel macrumors 6502

I purchased mine on Christmas Day online, shipped on the 28th, and received it on the 6th of January. I've been using it every day since then and there are no problems whatsoever. The screen is amazing, no image retention or such that's been claimed by most users, battery life is amazing (so much better compared to any other laptop I've used in the past), everything about it is great. It runs fast, very quick start up and shut down, fairly quiet unless I'm watching a movie and even then, it's still quiet compared to any windows based laptop I've used in the past. I don't see what would be the problem with purchasing one, really. Just go for it!

15. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

We've got a pair of 2012s. One from August. Another from October. The August build had an LG display the latter... A Samsung. In November, screen retention on the Lg model indeed became an issue, manifesting itself very quick and with longer and longer retention times, each time I'd switch between apps, browsers and the desktop or M/C. Took it to Apple. He ran his test. It passed. He didn't care. Replaced it within 24 hours. (Dropped @ 11am, picked up the next day early afternoon.). Samsung display. No issues since. We've just purchase a 2013. LG. Gorgeous, fast...almost three full months without a hint of IR. These are my favorite computers I've ever purchased. Three decades. They're hands down, the absolute pinnacle of mobile computing. The power. The battery. The display. Speed and I/O and weight, form factor...the list goes on forever. They're absolutely awesome. I'm sorry you felt at any point they were an 'unsafe' investment. $105 savings on Apple care @ .B&H or Amazon. Both legit. Bumper to bumper for three years. You'll want a new one by then and easily recoup 50-60%...+ pending when you sell. Next year, my two '12s will go to be replaced by next fall's release. They're amazing for the package and definitely a 'safe' buy. You don't have to buy the A/C warranty immediately. You've got a year. Wait til the week before and buy, again from an online 're-seller' that's authorized (B&H, Amazon, some eBay folks. Etc.).
    Didn't mean to ramble but seems tend to be emphasized, embellished and 'distorted' on maniacal forums. Don't read. Use. You've got a liberal return policy but you won't need it. Hands down, best computer made, in history.
    (While I patiently await my March arrival of my new MP;))

Quick mention/edit. Couldn't be a better time. Now they're up in the refurb section on Apple.com, you're gold. Save a few hundred bucks. Returns at Best Buy, etc

J

16. softwind macrumors newbie

BTW, how to know my rMBP's (15',late 2013) LCD build on LG's or Samsung's panel??.

17. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

(See the problem is now people are going to look for problems where none existed before)

Open Terminal:
    Code:
    ioreg -lw0 | grep IODisplayEDID | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

18. softwind macrumors newbie

I typed it, but only got one line: " Color LCD"
    Not display if LG or LSN panel is.
    (My rMBP is 15', late 2013, 2.0Ghz version)

19. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Yes! My screen for instance is only 13.2" when I measure it, where is the missing 0.1"....:roll eyes: :)

20. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

Does this tell who has made your screen like LG or SAMSUNG or SHARP and is it safe to run this command will it not do anything to the OS or the MAC in general I am a bit weary of doing it !! But still wanna know the make of my MAC screen ;)

21. blooperz macrumors 6502

Lg fixed the burn/ghosting issue a long time ago. In fact most people would probably now prefer an LG panel to a Samsung panel because of samsung's notorious yellow tint. But then again you're playing the lottery with screen quality regardless of which brand you get.

22. Intelligent macrumors 6502a

Intelligent

I have an lg screen and i have had no problems people are describing, it's absolutely safe to buy one, most likely you will not have any problems.

23. cs02rm0 macrumors member

Screen seems fine to me, no 4k@60Hz external display support though so you'd better like it...

24. teflonsheep macrumors newbie

I bought my base 15" rmbp a week ago. A022 samsung panel it came with made me believe in god. Runs games better than my desktop with a 7770.