Is It Safe To Say NEW iPhone Media Event in 2 weeks???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iRobby, Jul 13, 2011.

1. iRobby, Jul 13, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2011

iRobby macrumors 6502a

iRobby

I say this because the 2nd Quarter Earnings Report Conference is next Tuesday. And invites for the iPad2 Media Event were sent out the day after the 1st quarter earnings conference. Which in those invites the iPad 2 Media event was scheduled the following week.

So is it logical to think the invites for the iPhone will be out next Wednesday 1 day after the 2nd Quarter Earnings for the event to be the following week?

Also, with the anticipated release in the 3rd quarter it is said that the unveiling will be from now till end of Sept.

2. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

i doubt it. the iphone will probably be released at the september event.

3. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

This.

4. iRobby thread starter macrumors 6502a

iRobby

I wasn't talking about the release (launch) I was talking about the unveiling event.

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

It's way way too soon for an unveiling event. If they announced it tomorrow and scheduled it to ship in September, sales would drop way down. Apple isn't stupid.

6. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

me too :) i think they will unveil it at that event along with an iOS 5 launch that day. the new iPad 2 HD or whatever it will be called will be at either that event or the later event in late october.

7. jackhdev macrumors 6502

No, it will probably be announced at the September event possibly along all new iPods.

8. Zalatorisaurus macrumors member

Zalatorisaurus

The way Apple's always done it is like this. Steve Jobs: "Hey everybody! Look what we just made! It's called the iPhone (insert name/number here)!" Everyone claps, oohs/ahs commence, "And.... You can get one next week!"

9. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

10. macse30 macrumors regular

macse30

I doubt you will encounter physical harm by saying this.

11. pyro008 macrumors 6502

Explain in detail why this would be stupid. Maybe then you will see the flaw in your logic.

12. Big D 51 macrumors 6502a

Big D 51

13. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Well if they announced new iPhone a month before it releases, people would likely not buy the current model. I think that's what he was getting at, but to be fair I don't think it affect sales much.

14. Tech Elementz macrumors 6502

Rushing stuff never ends up good in the END... :)

By the way, @ OP, I think the September Event will most likely be the unveiling date.

15. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

They will never announce that early. Not only will it hurt sales of the current model but it will give the competition that much extra time to develop a competing product. It's never done that way.

16. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

I know that, I was just explaining what the other poster was meaning. The one thing I don't get is why people think it will hurt sales. The people will just be buying the new model rather than the old one.

17. staeit macrumors member

if they announce the new one and it's not available for a month then they'd be getting the old one. What's not to get?

18. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Either way it's a sale.

19. aztooh macrumors 6502a

Sounds like he's saying they'll wait for the new one, and then he said 'a sale is a sale'.

Yeah, it will impact immediate iP4 sales, but they won't be losing a customer.

And honestly, a lot of people don't care about having 'the latest' piece of hardware...the general consumer doesn't keep up on release dates of new phones. Hell, didn't you see the survey where x% of people believe their iP4 is '4g capable'??

Forum browsers and die hards make up the minority of consumers.

20. Goldfrapp macrumors 68040

Goldfrapp

Well, since iPhone 5 goes on sale on August 16th, a media event in 2 weeks is 100% guaranteed. It all makes perfect sense.

I've already sold my iPhone 4. Using a dumbphone until August 16th. Ooooooo, can't wait!!!! :cool::cool:

21. old-wiz macrumors G3

If you announce an iPhone 5 on July 15 and say it will not ship until September 15, sales will go down due to people simply saying "Why buy an old iPhone now when there will be a totally new iPhone in September?"

22. Glideslope macrumors 601

Glideslope

I was of that mind set also. However, Apple's push to increase Store Staffing with iPhone specific training Aug-Oct makes me pause. :apple:

23. pyro008 macrumors 6502

And what are those people who don't buy iPhone 4s because the 5 is on the way going to buy?

24. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

No it's not.

Take a look on these very forums. I've seen many people in the threads about Android phones talk about how they got it because they wanted something newer but weren't willing to wait for the next iPhone.

When I go to buy something and am told "you can't right now" that does NOT guarantee that I'll wait for it. It changes my 2 original perceived choices (iPhone 5 or Android) into 3 choices (iPhone 4 now, wait for iPhone 5, or Android.)

Anytime you disrupt people's choice-making process you give them a chance to change their mind. And yes, you can say that that's gonna happen anyway because the iPhone 5 isn't out yet, but when you announce stuff early you force those thoughts to the front of people's minds and make them think about it. You don't want to force them into thinkig about it until you're nearly ready to sell your own product.

Apple wants them to "think about it" for 2 weeks. Not for 2 months. That makes "wait for the iPhone 5" a less desirable choice in many people's minds.

Some will buy iPhone 5s. Some will buy Androids. By announcing their plans now Apple will cause more people to pick 'Android' than would have if Apple said nothing.

Why do you think Apple would actively work to push more people towards Android? That's insane.

25. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

lol that's a typical apple move. announce today, ship in 3 months. this happens all the time with their new products.