Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bki122689

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 18, 2008
Is it safe to send my mbp to applecare, when i have pirated software (caught caught...final cut studio) i also have limewire which i use to download music.
Is that safe to send to applecare? Would they care?

themoonisdown09

macrumors 601
Nov 19, 2007
Georgia, USA
The two times I had my Macs fixed, I removed all my personal and private data from it. I know there is probably nothing to worry about, but I just feel safer knowing that there is nothing on there that I wouldn't want them to see.

rpaloalto

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2005
Palo Alto CA.
Yea thats not a good idea. To have any pirated Apple software.
They wont bust you for it. But they will know your a thief. If the repair technician is a Apple fanboy. Your mac might start. Mysteriously developing strange intermittent problems. That hapen often enough to cause trouble for you. But infrequent enough that Apple care wont see anything wrong with it:eek:

Having a pirated version of windblows is a different story. In fact they will give you preferential treatment.;)

bki122689

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 18, 2008
i have a 250 gb hd whats the easiest way to transfer my pirated apps and pirated songs?

StuBeck

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2008
It shouldn't matter. They (should) have privacy clauses which makes them not look at things which don't matter. If you're having issues with your screen or something, they have no reason to go poking around your system looking for pirated software.

JNB

macrumors 604
Keep in mind the drive itself may be replaced with one having nothing more than a naked install of OSX at Apple's discretion. They're under no obligation to return the original data, only a functioning computer.

You're best off swapping drives, or cloning this one, and doing a clean install of the OS.

madog

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2004
Korova Milkbar
"Ohhhh pirated Final Cut. Seems like this guys hard drive is busted *smash* *boom*. Guess I'll have to replace it."

One week later...

"Your hard drive was messed up and we had to reinstall it and your OS. You did have a backup, right?"

Kidding aside, there is a 50/50 chance Apple will reinstall the OS. They do not guarentee YOUR data in any way whatsoever and as such it is your responsibility.

i have a 250 gb hd whats the easiest way to transfer my pirated apps and pirated songs?

There is actually no way to transfer pirated apps. If you attempt to do so, the UNIX kernal will knock up your sister.

bki122689

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 18, 2008
what if they are just changing my keyboard, should i still be worried that they will wipe clean my hd. and how would i do that so the computer does that automatically

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
what if they are just changing my keyboard, should i still be worried that they will wipe clean my hd. and how would i do that so the computer does that automatically

you should ALWAYS backup your stuff before you send it in for repair.....Apple even warns you about it......it leaves your control and there's no telling what might accidentaly happen to it.

Use Time Machine on an ongoing basis to backup your HD

madog

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2004
Korova Milkbar

To be honest, they most likely will NOT, but there is always that chance they will. I've sent a machine in to them for a battery issue and have had the HD wiped before (used to work at authorized service provider). I kid you not. After that, it was always priority to backup before we sent anything into Apple.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I'd always just clone the hard drive and do a clean install.

I don't trust anyone with my computer and important stuff.

jaikob

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2008
Freeland, MI
They had to replace my top MBP bezel, and they returned it wiped. Don't know why, but I made sure I did a TM backup before it went.

toolbox

macrumors 68020
Oct 6, 2007
Australia (WA)
They had to replace my top MBP bezel, and they returned it wiped. Don't know why, but I made sure I did a TM backup before it went.

So you had a part replaced that was not related to the hard drive and they wiped your hdd? That is BS, i would have complained about that. Even though you did your backup, the average user wouldn't think twice of doing that. They send there machine in comes back wiped.

Do they have the right to wipe machines without advising the customer?

bki122689

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 18, 2008
So you had a part replaced that was not related to the hard drive and they wiped your hdd? That is BS, i would have complained about that. Even though you did your backup, the average user wouldn't think twice of doing that. They send there machine in comes back wiped.

Do they have the right to wipe machines without advising the customer?

without notification no. but when they send you the box they send a letter with it stating that it is possible that it woud be erased and tell you to back it up.

toolbox

macrumors 68020
Oct 6, 2007
Australia (WA)
without notification no. but when they send you the box they send a letter with it stating that it is possible that it woud be erased and tell you to back it up.

So they actually send a box then? and then take it to the repair centre? Wow i had to get my mac up there out of my own pocket they wouldn't cover it. is this a service that occurs in the US ?

bki122689

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 18, 2008
So they actually send a box then? and then take it to the repair centre? Wow i had to get my mac up there out of my own pocket they wouldn't cover it. is this a service that occurs in the US ?

wait were do you live?

here in us if you need repair they send free box with foam and everything inside and the postage is all prepaid.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
If you have the newer MBP (unibody) just pop out the HD and ship it off to AppleCare. If you have the older ones ... ehh clone the drive? Or take it out... it's harder to do than the unibody MBPs but doable.

PcBgone

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2008
Why are you so worried about this anyway? Its not like you spent the money for Final Cut Pro...

Im sure even if you did send it in and they sent it back formatted, you would just redownload the software.

I just dont understand your issue.:confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.