Is it safe to send my macbook pro to applecare

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bki122689, Dec 1, 2008.

1. bki122689 macrumors 6502

bki122689

Is it safe to send my mbp to applecare, when i have pirated software (caught caught...final cut studio) i also have limewire which i use to download music.
    Is that safe to send to applecare? Would they care?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Just delete it to be safe. It's idiotic to send a computer with pirated software to the company that made that software.

3. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

The two times I had my Macs fixed, I removed all my personal and private data from it. I know there is probably nothing to worry about, but I just feel safer knowing that there is nothing on there that I wouldn't want them to see.

4. rpaloalto macrumors 6502a

rpaloalto

Yea thats not a good idea. To have any pirated Apple software.
    They wont bust you for it. But they will know your a thief. If the repair technician is a Apple fanboy. Your mac might start. Mysteriously developing strange intermittent problems. That hapen often enough to cause trouble for you. But infrequent enough that Apple care wont see anything wrong with it:eek:

Having a pirated version of windblows is a different story. In fact they will give you preferential treatment.;)

5. bki122689 thread starter macrumors 6502

bki122689

i have a 250 gb hd whats the easiest way to transfer my pirated apps and pirated songs?

6. StuBeck macrumors 6502

It shouldn't matter. They (should) have privacy clauses which makes them not look at things which don't matter. If you're having issues with your screen or something, they have no reason to go poking around your system looking for pirated software.

7. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Keep in mind the drive itself may be replaced with one having nothing more than a naked install of OSX at Apple's discretion. They're under no obligation to return the original data, only a functioning computer.

You're best off swapping drives, or cloning this one, and doing a clean install of the OS.

8. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

When i sent in my macbook, i removed all data from it infact i recall erasing it before it went

9. madog macrumors 65816

madog

"Ohhhh pirated Final Cut. Seems like this guys hard drive is busted *smash* *boom*. Guess I'll have to replace it."

One week later...

"Your hard drive was messed up and we had to reinstall it and your OS. You did have a backup, right?"

Kidding aside, there is a 50/50 chance Apple will reinstall the OS. They do not guarentee YOUR data in any way whatsoever and as such it is your responsibility.

There is actually no way to transfer pirated apps. If you attempt to do so, the UNIX kernal will knock up your sister.

10. bki122689 thread starter macrumors 6502

bki122689

what if they are just changing my keyboard, should i still be worried that they will wipe clean my hd. and how would i do that so the computer does that automatically

11. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

you should ALWAYS backup your stuff before you send it in for repair.....Apple even warns you about it......it leaves your control and there's no telling what might accidentaly happen to it.

Use Time Machine on an ongoing basis to backup your HD

12. madog macrumors 65816

madog

To be honest, they most likely will NOT, but there is always that chance they will. I've sent a machine in to them for a battery issue and have had the HD wiped before (used to work at authorized service provider). I kid you not. After that, it was always priority to backup before we sent anything into Apple.

13. kolax macrumors G3

I'd always just clone the hard drive and do a clean install.

I don't trust anyone with my computer and important stuff.

14. jaikob macrumors 6502

jaikob

They had to replace my top MBP bezel, and they returned it wiped. Don't know why, but I made sure I did a TM backup before it went.

15. bki122689 thread starter macrumors 6502

bki122689

how do you clone? time machine?

16. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

So you had a part replaced that was not related to the hard drive and they wiped your hdd? That is BS, i would have complained about that. Even though you did your backup, the average user wouldn't think twice of doing that. They send there machine in comes back wiped.

Do they have the right to wipe machines without advising the customer?

17. bki122689 thread starter macrumors 6502

bki122689

without notification no. but when they send you the box they send a letter with it stating that it is possible that it woud be erased and tell you to back it up.

18. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

So they actually send a box then? and then take it to the repair centre? Wow i had to get my mac up there out of my own pocket they wouldn't cover it. is this a service that occurs in the US ?

19. bki122689 thread starter macrumors 6502

bki122689

wait were do you live?

here in us if you need repair they send free box with foam and everything inside and the postage is all prepaid.

20. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

OH meh, they don't do that in australia that i know if any other aussies on here that can confirm that?

21. G-Com macrumors regular

Another reason to have an external hard drive and a cloned installation.

:apple:

22. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

If you have the newer MBP (unibody) just pop out the HD and ship it off to AppleCare. If you have the older ones ... ehh clone the drive? Or take it out... it's harder to do than the unibody MBPs but doable.

23. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

24. bki122689 thread starter macrumors 6502

bki122689

so i clone it using time machine orrrrr whatt?

25. PcBgone macrumors 6502

PcBgone

Why are you so worried about this anyway? Its not like you spent the money for Final Cut Pro...

Im sure even if you did send it in and they sent it back formatted, you would just redownload the software.

I just dont understand your issue.:confused: