Is it smart to buy a MacBook under this economy?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Ryuukumori, Jan 24, 2009.

1. Ryuukumori macrumors 6502

I have got car repairs under way ($800-$1000), and really can't be looking far into spending a lot of money. With this bad economy, and a college freshman next autumn, it might be harder to find a job.

So, with some money, and not a lot, is it smart if I buy a MacBook this summer? On time for a refresh.

If so, I will be okay with money, but less than I really want on me. I'm really tight on my money.

What can I do to convince anyone in such a big leap, if it will be worth the purchase in such a hard time?

2. gixxerredliner macrumors regular

gixxerredliner

its simple

can you afford the mac and not go broke? in life nothing is worth buying in any times you cant take it with you when you die. just live life man whos to say you will live to see the summer? enjoy life and if you want a mac get one :) just dont go broke doing it.

3. Ryuukumori thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks man.

I won't go broke on it, that's for sure. I just wanna find that one good deal. I got my hands on an iPod Touch 32GB 2G for $270 brand new on eBay. Love the thing.

The only concern I have is the money and economy. I always feel good having plenty of money extra just in case of an emergency. But I feel like I have spent a bit too much here and there, and really it isn't a lot. I don't own a credit card, nor will I ever. It's debit or cash. Period. I'm 18, is this a normal feeling? lol

I think I will be able to get a MacBook this summer. I just want to take advantage of the best updates at the time, do the iPod promo and sell the iPod, and an edu discount. ;)

4. gixxerredliner macrumors regular

gixxerredliner

Yes Sir!!!!!

It indeed is a normal feeling, I cant tell you how many times Ive owned a iphone, returned it, got another iphone, returned it and so on and so on. Its a part of life, you want to save some cash for a rainy day but you also want to expierence and enjoy the latest and greatest gadgets. This is an amazing time with the iphone, macbooks, windows 7 etc... for ppl that love technology. I would say enjoy it to the fullest :)

5. petermcphee macrumors 6502a

petermcphee

It's a good idea. MacBooks are poised to leap upwards in value. If you purchase one for $999, in three years it could be worth as much as $2k. Depends on how well you take care of it.

/sarcasm.

6. Ryuukumori thread starter macrumors 6502

Lemme ask you though, you have a thread saying you thought the MacBook wasn't all that impressive. Have you gotten a chance to use the new aluminum?

I know what you mean when the price is really high. That is why I am contemplating because of price. Really, notebooks are always more expensive.

I am using a custom built PC desktop, and the specs are amazing. A blue LED beastly case with a lot of fans, 640GB hard drive, ATI Radeon 4850 (for all the modern games), 4GB RAM, etc. It cost $800, with a 22" flatscreen, gaming keyboard and mouse, and logitec surround sound speakers. Though this isn't mine, you see the difference.

Personally, I have run into so many Windows problems recently (past month). I cannot bear to use Windows any longer. Especially with issues with my external hard drive and media, programs on Vista, etc. Maybe it is time for a change. Haha.

7. Sehnsucht macrumors 65816

Kudos to not having a credit card. I'm 20 and I've never had one/never will either. :D Cash all the way. Cash for your computers, cash for your car, and (someday) cash for your house. ;) Actually I am in sort of a similar situation with having to pay several thousand bucks worth of tuition and yet also needing a MacBook Pro. Last year I had to borrow $800 from my parents to get my iMac...I chose to do this over getting a loan from the bank because being late on a payment doesn't ruin your credit if your parents are your creditors. :D

Good luck...oh yeah and a big "WTF" to getting a NEW 32GB 2G touch for $270!! :eek: :cool:

8. Ryuukumori thread starter macrumors 6502

Good job yo! I'll keep your strategy in mind when I leave this fall.

9. gixxerredliner macrumors regular

gixxerredliner

Sorry it took me so long i was watching the 2007 interview with bill gates and mr job

I myself have never ran into a problem with windows that would force me not to want to use it. Ive used windows all my life so naturally some of the hiccups that ppl talk about dont affect me because I use my laptop to surf the net, type the occasional college paper, watch dvds, and use itunes.

My expierence with the macbook is the new white mac book and from what ive noticed it runs well for what my intended purpose for using it would be. Its just from what ive seen from the apple iphone and with a macbook its a cycle that would take a heavy toll on my wallet. Allow me to explain, owning a iphone is a ever going expense because apps cost money and so do songs on itunes. Not owning one would eliminate a ton of cash that i would spend on such a product.

As for the macbook its nice but you can also buy apps for it similiar to an iphone and i think naturally I would spend more money on things I would never use because of the novelty of the item. Not that apple products arent amazing because they are but for me I think its not a sound investment only because i can see how i would be spending more money owning apple products than if i didnt own them.

10. gixxerredliner macrumors regular

gixxerredliner

Understand

Eventually I would probaly settle down with a macbook, throw out everything ive ever knew about how PC's work and relearn the computer. But right now espiecally with the soon to be released Windows 7 that has a beta out I just cant justify the means. Now i understand why ppl do because macs are the ferraris of the Computer world in my eyes but for me because i can only speak for myself right now i'd ranther just own a Honda Civic than a ferrari.

Ppl tell me that windows vista sucks, i myself have never expierenced any problems with it but Windows 7 has been recieving amazing reviews and its just a beta so i think im going to give windows one more shot.

11. Ryuukumori thread starter macrumors 6502

I own a 1994 Camry. It's not perfect, but it runs. I see where you are coming from. Maybe it's nice to have something really reliable though.

My external running through XP gets a "delayed write failed" error trying to copy or backup anything. It's XP-related too.

But sometimes I think whether the price justifies a good product. Maybe you wouldn't be entitled to spend a lot on apps for the Mac. Same goes for the iPhone. I see the iPhone a waste of money, I have Sprint and the most ancient camera flip phone ever. I could use it as a bulletproof life-saver, literally it is that thick! It does my basic needs- phone conversation. I text on the iPod, call on the cell, and drive with the reliable Camry. ;)

12. gixxerredliner macrumors regular

gixxerredliner

Yes Sir!!!!!

The macbook is built better but remember its still a computer/technology. I just watched a youtube video and the macbook was using 50% plus of the CPU in safari just to play that video, than i went to a internet site to test a movie and it was using 95% in safari to handle that same video. I dont know what gives but im not to impressed with that. However macbooks are really nice shells with really nice software(as steve jobs put it) im sure you will enjoy one. Just make sure you get the one you want dont settle :)

13. darngooddesign macrumors G3

If you are that concerned don't buy the new one, but a used or refurbed white one is a great comp.

14. sebasti macrumors newbie

Under the modern economics model, the only way to revive it is to keep spending...and spending... and spending even more... more you buy, more jobs can be kept. If you can't afford something, just take dept, since whole monetary system is based on dept... without dept whole system will fall...

...but seriously: if you can afford it buy, if you can't don't buy and let others revive the economy.

15. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

The question I'd be asking myself is, do I need a car? Do you need one for college?

For me, a computer (PC or Mac) is a necessary expense. I could get by without a car (well, I could before I had two kids). I didn't even own a car until I was 32.

16. shiftmx05 macrumors newbie

If you can afford it then buy it...
    If you cant don't buy it!!

Its that simple

17. cerealj macrumors member

I was in a similar situation last year- I'm 22 and a student, and after 3.5 years of tuition I don't have a whole lot of money :) I wanted a laptop, though I already had a fast desktop. So I got a netbook because theyre very portable and super cheap.

I think it's a solid choice for a student's second computer. They do everything you really need- browse internet, messenger, OpenOffice, etc. Not only that, but theyre tiny- I have textbooks that weigh over twice as much as my computer. (This is not an exaggeration- computer is 2lbs, books are over 5lbs)

So yeah, you should check out some of those. The HP Mini 1000 and the MSI Wind are my favourties. The Aspire One is pretty nice too, and Acer will be selling a 10" Aspire One soon. There's lots of sweet linux distros that have been designed for netbooks.

18. tjcampbell macrumors 6502a

tjcampbell

The only way out, is to spend our way out. As long as people aren't shopping the economy will remain up sh*t creek. So yeah, buy a MacBook.

19. CharlesX macrumors member

CharlesX

I'm using one right now. I bought it a couple months ago even though I'm poor. Yes, poor, as in living with an income below the poverty level and not going to school. I had been waiting for Apple to update the Mac Mini, but I did not own a computer and hadn't for nearly a year.

I even bought an iPod touch to use as a netbook. Ironically I didn't know what netbooks were and, when I did, I wrote on forums with my iPod, "just buy an iPod Touch." It worked so well, but of course it's not a solution long term for a primary computer. You guys remember those articles, though, about low-income people using the Touch as their low cost computer? I set that trend!

Anyway, Apple updated the Macbook and then a couple weeks later announced that there were not going to be any new products before the holidays. I figured I could buy a Macbook on credit and use it until Macworld, then sell it, when the Mini came out. It'd be like renting it for 100 dollars perhaps. It's funny, when I told one of the guys at the Apple Store how long I'd been without a computer and that I had been using my Touch as a primary system, dude looked around somewhat nervously and broke into a casual tone saying, "man, you need a computer." No way I'd throw my hard-earned money away on Windows, either. It's even more important when you don't have that much.

A few months later, still no Mini update. Apple can take the 18-month-old Mini and shove it up its ass for $799. Moore's law says that high end Mini should cost $400 now. They ought to be ashamed of themselves. Tim Cook says he's committed to excellence in every lineup. Someone please slap him across the face with a fish.

Regardless, I'm happy. The 2.0GHz Aluminum Macbook is the best laptop ever made. The best. Nothing comes close except the other unibody Macbooks and they lose out because the additional features do not quite match their price. You cannot do better with your dollar, at any income level. It is the best.

There are minor gripes. There is no mini-DP-to-hdmi-adapter yet. There is still a split-second delay when "drag lock" in unchecked in trackpad preferences, but this can be fixed with a software update, and is immaterial if prefer drag lock. The trackpad also arrives to some people feeling somewhat loose and difficult to click, but this can be easily fixed by rotating a small screw behind the battery. Other than these, it is perfect.

Maybe the Mini will be updated soon and maybe I will sell this one for it, but that looks increasingly unlikely every day. I love this machine. It has given me hope and inspiration. Yes, excellence is indeed possible. There is something that feels perfect in the world.

What about that credit card debt? Ooooo! Evil credit card debt! Haha. Well, I have never missed a payment on anything and I've never accepted anything other than 0% interest. Despite transferring a balance here and there, I've never accepted an offer with a balance transfer fee and I've never paid any kind of fee related to debt. If you're smart and you look for the deals, debt is your friend. Especially with the rising rate of inflation. Then you make a decent profit off of zero interest debt. It's like any other investment.

You don't really own your money. The government does and it is illegal for you to use anything else. The central bank determines its value and they always choose to make money less valuable. The question is, "how fast?" The answer right now is, "quite fast."

20. gixxerredliner macrumors regular

gixxerredliner

yes Sir!!!!!

I agree with the above poster assuming he hasnt used his macbook to watch youtube videos which send the mac into over drive hell and watching movies which also send the mac into over drive hell.

50% plus of the cpu used in safari just to watch youtube videos

90% plus of the cpu used in safari just to watch movies

if macs are the best of the best than why cant they handle what i would deem as simple task without sending them into overdrive?

21. 99MustangGTman macrumors 6502

If you don't already have your own laptop, and need it for school I would definitely buy a Macbook, perhaps since its a tight budget go with the updated whitebook. I am a college student and can't live without my macbook for doing research and studying.

22. hacksaw-C87 macrumors regular

Economic concerns should be a major concern for anyone buying anything costly at any time, particularly during the present economic climate. One of the main reasons I did buy a Macbook (2.4 4GB Ram) was because I had bought two PC laptops in as many years that had both given up on me after heavy-very heavy usage. With the Macbook I perchased Three-Year Applecare with my purchase instore- in the UK you get this for £47 which is a bargain- so if it gives up on me then I get it repaired for free. Overall this is going to represent a better deal as this machine is going to last me three years (unless I give in and buy an update!) so I feel it makes better economic sense. If you're suffering similar problems with your consumption of laptops then I'd definitely suggest investing.

23. Blakely028 macrumors regular

Blakely028

I would say only go for it if you know you will have the money to buy a MB and enough to cover it, for emergencies. If you're current laptop is going good the now, it depends whether you actually want one. :)

The reason the economys going down the pan is because of people not spending!

Blakely028

24. mac jones macrumors 68040

Yes yes yes

Spend as much as you want.

Things will get better .

(if only people would spend!) :D