Is it stupid for me to buy a Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hazedragon45, Nov 11, 2009.

1. hazedragon45 macrumors regular

I'm basically a full time student, and all I need a laptop for is: Videos, Notes, Internet. I've used the Mac OS before and i really enjoy it over windows, but what else am I getting out of it besides the Luxury of having this gorgeous notebook? ** lets say money's not an issue.**

2. kroeks macrumors regular

you can also install windows on it tho.

what you get = quality.

3. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    You'll get something that isn't gonna die on you and get viruses. :) You'll love it. You know you want one. Buy it.

4. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Im student also, my friends are always having problems with their windows laptops, my mac just keeps on going. It was a wise investment.

5. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I work in IT and I bought my parents and sister both macs because I was sick of removing viruses, re-imaging the machines, etc.

If you enjoy the Mac OS why make yourself miserable and get a PC? I myself could never go back (even though a PC is my work machine and I make a living fixing windows machines and servers :D)

6. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

You're the perfect Apple customer: You want to buy a Porsche 911 Turbo just to do your weekly grocery shopping.

7. ipodftw macrumors member

Macs are great for students, i would recommend them [​IMG]

8. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

There are certainly advantages to having a Windows machine, but I buy Macs primarily for their longevity these days. I'm pretty comfortable knowing that my current machine will last me 5+ years with minimal need for replacement.

9. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

No virus
    No virus scan sucking 10% of your cpu and battery life
    No long start up / long shut down

Easy backup with timemachine

10. chill. macrumors 6502

i think you probably have the same computer requirements as 80% of apple users

the really killer feature is the trackpad imo. it's amazing in internet browsing and i really ache when i use other trackpads. is the trackpad/OSX worth like $500 though? well i shelled out for it.. which makes me feel kind of guilty

if money is no object, then go for it

11. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

If money is no object, why is the MacBook Pro the wrong idea? For students Mac's are ideal: solid OS, solid construction, great battery life and reliability.

12. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

screw the 911 turbo give me the GT3 :D
    When you say videos do you mean youtube or editing? imovie or final cut?
    Have you considered a macbook?

13. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Wirelessly posted (Nokia 5800 Tube XpressMusic : Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.4; U; Series60/5.0 Nokia5800d-1/21.0.101; Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 ) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413)

The ifference being that Porsches are fast. :p

It's not a stupid idea to buy a Mac. Personally, I don't think viruses are the biggest benefit of OS X, since OS X isn't completely malware resistant, and it has been shown to be quite easy to hack. Also, Win7 is supposed to be quite different, and most people's experiences are with XP, perhaps Vista.

The benefit of OS X is the extra productivity I get with the OS interface, and features such as Expose and Dashboard. Time Machine is useful, and Apple always seems to be on the ball when it comes to adding cool and useful features so the difference between OSes always seems to be there.

14. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Would you be getting a mac because it's a fashion statement, or because you need it?

15. MacKiddyWiddy macrumors 6502

the answer is really just quality... clean workspace, no viruses, easy to use... in my eyes, a good feng shuai [​IMG]

16. Angra-mainju macrumors regular

I am a student and I have been enoying my mac for 4 months and I still love it :)

17. SXR macrumors 6502a

SXR

Mac OS X Snow Leopard is really a great OS , thats why you should buy the computer. Much much nicer than windows in my oppinion.

18. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

I'm not entirely clear on your question. Are you debating whether to buy mac vs. pc or decided on buying a mac and asking if the MBP is overkill for your needs?

If you're debating mac vs. pc then everyone above has pretty much nailed it, especially if cost is not a deciding factor.

If you're debating MBP vs. Macbook for your needs well it pretty much depends on your choice of screen size and portability. I say that because if money is no option and you don't have power user needs then the size and weight pretty much become the deciding factor.

To answer the question directly from a Mac forum perspective, it's never stupid to purchase a Mac product. :D

19. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

OP you match the profile of roughly 90 percent of student Macbook "Pro" owners who
    A) Check myspace/facebook
    B) Watch Videos
    C) write papers
    in that order.

Don't know firewire(my wire catches on fire?) from USB except one is a square that doesn't fit the ipod sync cable. Couldn't care less about what panel type it uses, Will never connect it to an external monitor, and will run programs that utilize a fraction of the available processing and graphical horsepower. I.E. the perfect netbook or macbook owner.

20. macshill macrumors 6502

macshill

Then what's stopping you from buying a 17" high-end MacBook Pro? lol I quasi-kid. :D Actually, depending on your needs, a 17" MIGHT be a beast to carry around if you're getting it for portability. A 15" high-end MacBook Pro would be pretty sweet and the best of all worlds.

That PP about driving the Porche to the supermarket just about sums you up as the perfect Mac customer. Not by any means saying it's a bad thing. Far from it. I guess if you got it, flaunt it. ;) But you're probably doing it for a 50/50 split of the ease of the Mac OS and the prestige factor that sucks in a lot of Mac customers. :p Let's call a spade a spade here.

21. thefaceless macrumors member

Let me tell you a story, OP. Fourth year uni student here.

In my first year I figured I wouldn't be using my laptop for a huge amount, so decided to just go with a comparatively cheap Acer laptop. It lasted about a year and a half before it started having huge issues, so I needed to replace it. So, second year, and I have a new laptop already. Just over a year later, that one starts having issues too, so I have to buy a third, and now that's having issues too.

So, that's 3 laptops in basically as many years, costing about £1700 in total. With that kind of money I could've bought a MBP and 3 year applecare, and still had about £800 left over. If you can afford it, I really don't recommend cheaping out. You could always consider the regular MacBook though - it's cheaper and still more than capable enough for your needs.

22. jbrady3324 macrumors regular

If everyone buys a mac, then programmers will have more reason to create virus, thus there will be viruses on macs. Even more so if macs become more common in the business world. So don't buy a mac because "it cannot get viruses" as that is very untrue. There are plenty of REAL reasons to buy a mac as noted in this thread and there are plenty of reasons NOT to buy one.

Mac's hold their value, so once you pay the premium, upgrading to the next version is easy.

23. 7031 macrumors 6502

As much as I liked the quality aspect when it worked, my Macbook died after about 20 months, so I'm not completely sure I got the best value for money.

To be fair though, the shop assured me that I had just been very unlucky, but I am now having to switch back for the simple reason of: I can't afford a new one.

24. nOw2 macrumors regular

You're in the UK? Exercise your consumer rights. 20 months for a laptop isn't good enough.

25. seb-opp macrumors 6502

If you get a mac, you won't need to upgrade again in your whole university life. It will definitely meet your requirements for at least a 3 year course, and up to 5 if you can accept not having the latest and greatest.

Im a 2nd year University student and had my macbook since after GCSEs. All I've had to do since then to keep it relatively modern is upgrade ram from 512mb to 2gb when it reached one year old, then got a bigger hard drive the next year.

If you got a windows laptop you'd no doubt want to replace it during your course, not necessarily because of the specs, but because windows laptops generally aren't as robust as macbooks, generally not strong enough to be taken to and from campus every day for 3-5 years. That obviously doesn't include premium laptop brands, but if you're going upmarket, why not get a mac anyway?

Finally, HE student discount is 14% I think, so it's basically removing the 'apple tax' that regular consumers have to pay. And you get discounted apple care!