Is it stupid to upgrade from Iphone 6 now?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fotomatt1, Feb 24, 2017.

1. fotomatt1 macrumors regular

I'm still on my 2 year old iPhone 6. Unfortunately it's showing it's age...battery isn't great and it's definitely slowed down with each iOS update. I was going to jump ship and get a Pixel XL, but the order time is so long I gave up. I'm possibly going to get an iPhone 7 this weekend, but not sure if I should do it or tough it out with my iPhone 6 for a while longer. My wife pointed out that October is still almost 8 months away, so I'd still be waiting a while. Thoughts?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You wont be able to get the next iPhone for another 7-8 months so I'd say go for an iPhone 7 now.

3. janeauburn, Feb 24, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2017

janeauburn macrumors 6502a

janeauburn

If you have to buy an iPhone 7 (which you don't), now is the time to do it.

But it will be a waste of your money. Go to Apple and have them replace your battery. Done.

And in the future: Do NOT "upgrade" iOS. That's how Apple tries to turn your perfectly good iPhone into trash.

P.S. Got too much money? Donate it.

4. wproct macrumors 6502

wproct

I just recently upgraded from my 5s, and I had made every update to it when they became available and honestly, it was still plenty fast and battery life was decent. I would say that if you are weary of you iphone 6, go ahead and get the 7, it's going to be a viable phone for years to come. JMHO.

5. BasicGreatGuy, Feb 24, 2017

BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Unless your phone is showing signs of hardware problems, I would recommend using the phone a while longer. When the new phones are released in October, you can upgrade then.

If you don't want to spend money on a new phone right now, get a battery replacement from Apple ($80.00).

I had battery problems with my iPhone 6. Did several new install setups and limited what I installed. It would die after 4 or 5 hours of playing music already loaded on the phone. Had the Apple Genius take a look, and after running tests on the battery, he said it was probably a software issue, as my cycles at that time was only 362. He offered to replace the battery, but he thought I would be wasting my money if I did. I left the store with the phone as is. After 2 months, my contract with Sprint ended. I return my phone to Sprint, jumped ship to Verizon, and got an iPhone 7+ It has been smooth sailing on the Verizon waters thus far. If my contract had not been at an end, I would have gone for a battery replacement, as many i6 users have had battery issues, even though Apple hasn't made a direct statement about the iPhone 6 battery.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 24, 2017 ---
    In my opinion, you are giving out terrible advice (re: not upgrading the OS; Apple purposefully crippling the phone with the OS).

1. Keeping up to date with OS updates helps to keep your phone secure, helps to correct bugs and other problems, as well as helping the phone to stay compatible with other devices and programs.

2. There is absolutely no credible proof to substantiate your claims.

3. There are a lot of things that can cause a 2 year old iPhone to slow down. Just because a phone slows down doesn't mean the OS is at fault nor does it mean that some sinister Apple motives are at play.

6. cbreze macrumors 6502

cbreze

If I was in this situation I doubt I'd want to wait for the 8 as it is several months down the road. I might try swappa and see if maybe an 6s could be had for a decent price or if not I'd most likely go for the 7. I would not go for the pixel at all as it has many issues and seems to be a crap shoot as to the quality of the device you may end up with, if you google that info you can judge for yourself. Pixel 2 may be out before the iPhone 8 and maybe it will be a more completely baked device and work more consistently well. Or change the battery on your 6 and clean house a bit for perhaps a better experience. Probably the best, cheapest option. :)

7. Critycal macrumors member

Have you tried to reset your current iPhone? I still have the iPhone 6 too, and it's working just fine. I only regret choosing the 16GB model, but the rest of the phone is just fine. If you really have to buy a new phone, do it now. If you just want a new phone because it's nice to buy new stuff, don't do it. Get the new iPhone in September/October.

8. Booch21 macrumors regular

Booch21

I just replaced my iPhone 6 with a 7 Plus. I didn't need to make the move, and I figured, if I want a new phone and can afford it, get it. If you want a new phone and the iPhone 7/7 Plus works for you, go for it. There is always something better around the corner.

9. Howyalikdemapls, Feb 24, 2017

Howyalikdemapls macrumors 6502

I'd replace the battery and hold out for the iPhone 8.

I obviously don't know your financial situation, so if money is no concern, then get the 7 now and upgrade again when the 8 comes out. Personally, I'd start stashing money away now for the 8 though so I could buy the 8 flat out when it's announced and not have any noticeable dent in my pocket. There are some rumors that the OLED bezel-free iPhone 8 will be over $1,000, and for all we know that could be the base storage option.

I upgraded from the 6 Plus to the 7 last September. It's faster and the increase in RAM is nice, but, eh. If I still had the 6 Plus now I would wait it out. That being said, I always like to get my phones when they are first announced so I feel I'm getting the best bang for my buck. My preferences and opinions are probably different from yours though, so this post probably doesn't mean much to you.

10. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I wasn't amused by the 7, and based on the then rumors of the 2017 model, decided to stick w/ my 6. But, like you, I experienced disruptive problems with iOS, specifically poor battery life and random shutdowns. My phone is a tool so in late Nov I had to buy a 7. Glad I did. The 6 became too problematic for me.

I will still upgrade to this years model when it comes out -- never before done a back-to-back upgrade. I think the 7 will get me decent money on the resale market, esp. if the next version includes a price hike. Either way not going to worry about. A working phone is more important and as I saw it I had no choice. A phone that only lasts 4 hours or turns off mid-call is worthless and that is what my 6 became.

11. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

Actually, your best bet would be to get a case that also has a small battery. Then your runtime should be over 6 hrs.

Should cost under $30 and you can then use the phone until Sept and decide what to buy after the press event.

That's what I would do.

12. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Even when the iPhone 8 releases, there's no telling how long it will take you to receive one, depending on the demand. But the iPhone 7 is Easley a great device and will be huge upgrade from your six in terms of more efficiency/features.

13. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Here's what I always say. If you can wait, at this point, just wait. If you NEED a new phone, get a new phone. Batteries and or battery cases are cheap.

14. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

If you're looking at upgrading, why not take a look at the SE? Granted I don't know if the OP is a fan of the 4" form factor, but you wouldn't be shelling out as much money as you would for the 7. The other option that other mentioned would be to get the battery replaced.

15. Khalanad75 macrumors 6502

Khalanad75

I'm kind of in the same boat as you, just I have the 6+. I've been having some freezes and lockups lately and have been thinking of upgrading. But there was always the looming 8 or 7s coming out soon, so I haven't.

Now with the rumors coming out, nothing appeals to me that I must wait for. Cordless charging still has to be placed on some kind of mat. My hands work just fine so I have no issue plugging my phone in. OLED, don't care. I think the LCD the iPhones have are gorgeous as is and I don't mind bezels, it gives me some where to touch/grab the phone.

So I am heading to Verizon to upgrade to a 7+ tonight.

16. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I really like the iPhone 7+. Excellent battery life, sound, and display. I think you will be very happy.

17. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

I can appreciate your analogy. What color are you upgrading to? And the 7+ is a powerhouse iPhone. You're going to like it.

18. seadragon Contributor

Is it stupid? No. Why? Because I just upgraded to a 7+ from a 6+ and I'm not stupid.

19. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

I'm having the very same dilemma. My 6+ has been acting crazy with this annoying screen flickering which makes the phone unresponsive regarding of what I do, unless I do a hard reboot. I have been dealing with it for a few weeks but for some reason today it's specially bad. I can barely multi task before it starts to freeze up on me.

Like many others I too decided to wait and I really don't want to upgrade at this point, but now I'm in a position where I know this phone is not going to make it another 7-8 months let alone to March at this point.

Was thinking perhaps getting the screen fixed (maybe the digitizer?) I can go to Apple to see if they can fix it but I have a feeling they're going to try to get me to get a new phone instead. I can always try swappa, last case scenario i'll pop the sim onto my old i5 but not looking forward to going back to that tiny 4 inch screen.

20. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

I just upgraded to a 7 plus and am looking forward to how it goes. I'm passing my 6 on so it will still be put to good use.

21. Sunny1990 Suspended

Sunny1990

Totally agreed,you can't wait for another 7-8 months if you are at dead end

22. iOSUser7 macrumors 6502a

iOSUser7

I'm joining nburwell on this, you might want to look at an iPhone SE for a cheap alternative/replacement to your 6 until the 8 get released. It will even be an upgrade compared to your current 6, well at least on the performance and camera side.

At the end, it really depends on if the new rumored features of the iPhone 8 are enough for you to justify the purchase. If not then go ahead and pick the iPhone 7. I would have adviced you to wait if we were on June or July but we are only in February so there is still a long time to wait.

23. dumastudetto macrumors 68020

Go for it. iPhone 7 are the best phones Apple has ever made. You won't regret it.

24. akash.nu macrumors 68030

akash.nu

Couldn't have put it better.

25. fischersd macrumors 601

fischersd

@fotomatt1, I'm a big fan of doing a recovery and restore of my iPhone if it starts acting cludgy. Just make sure you have a couple full backups first (including encrypted if you have health data on your phone, so you get it backed up as well).

Worth popping into an Apple store to have them run diags on it for the battery.

If it's still causing you grief every day after doing what you can, then I'd say you have no choice but to pull the trigger on an upgrade.