Is it the correct time to get an iPad 3?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by touchu4g, Aug 29, 2012.

1. touchu4g macrumors member

Hi. I am willing to get an iPad 3 under 1-2 months. I will get an iPad 3 Wifi Only 32GB. Do you think it is too late to get one or it is a good time to get one? I wouldn't want an iPad Mini as I want a larger screen. Plus is it worth getting an iPad?:)

2. Purant macrumors 6502

Yes and no.

3. TheGenerous macrumors 6502a

TheGenerous

I have the original iPad and the screen size is a bit small when reading scientific articles and websites. Usually I take two seconds to pinch-and-zoom and get it to the font size I like reading.

If you can afford the iPad 3 go ahead. Mine is old and the battery works perfectly and no real slow downs or anything. It's a 16GB wifi and is more than enough for a research science student.

4. touchu4g thread starter macrumors member

I can afford the iPad but I want to know if it is worth getting it. I will be using it for education, gaming and casual use. I don't go on scientific articles or any website that has really small font so that won't be a problem. Also just a question to ask is what do you think is the minimum age for a person to get an iPad?

5. Purant macrumors 6502

You have to realize "worth getting" is as subjective as it gets, so we can't help you. At least not without you being more specific on what you mean, what your worries are, what your intended use is going to be etc etc.

6. TheGenerous macrumors 6502a

TheGenerous

It's subjective, buy one and return it after a week or so if you didn't like it.

Mine is jailbroken. I use free apps most of the time; evernote, dropbox, feedly, readability, twitterific.

My grandma loves to see photos on my iPad, to me, that time with her worths it.

7. Skika macrumors 68030

Depends on what you want to do. But if you have the money, sure ;). And i almost can guarantee you will find uses for the iPad for stuff and in places you didn't even think of before.

8. takeshi74 macrumors 601

This question is asked over and over in prior threads. You need to consider your needs/wants. This question doesn't have one answer that applies to all people. If you want a "buying guide" they're out there for you to refer to as well:
    http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

That said, if you need something now then the buying guide really doesn't matter.

Again, subjective. Worth is always a highly subjective matter no matter what the topic. You need to specify the criteria you have (needs, budget, what you're expecting, etc) if you want feedback from others on the matter. If the worth of the iPad was a universal matter then either everyone would have one or no one would have one.

Browse the countless prior threads on the topic if you're not sure and want some ideas of how others are thinking about the matter:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=ipa...p.r_qf.&fp=fe97cc68227e2ceb&biw=1024&bih=1195

There's always this approach. Nothing beats first hand experience in answering questions like this.

9. touchu4g thread starter macrumors member

Well I need it for school and personal use (gaming, social networking and etc). I don't have a budget but I know what device I am going to get (iPad 3 WiFi 32GB). I am expecting that it much useful for school and much better than the iPod touch 4 which I currently have. I have the app pages on my iPod touch which I write my school reports on. It is hard writing on the small screen that it might be better on the iPad. Same with the keynote app. I would like more space on it (iPod touch 4G 8GB to iPad 3 32GB). I would like it to be my "laptop" as it is really light and easy to carry around. I would like to play games on the A5X processor meaning it will be faster and to have more software updates during the upcoming years. These are all my reasons. Now do you thinks its worth it for me ?

10. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

op get an ipad3 don't even hesitate. I have owned all 3 and still own the ipad2 and there are so many benefits to all your needs. just bought a new macbook pro and i still use my iPad more,plus the retina in a tablet is amazing!

11. ARSC macrumors 6502

12. ColinYan macrumors newbie

can`t agree more. i got one months ago, it work perfectly. nearly can do anything and easy to carry.

13. gpatrick15 macrumors regular

Waiting on mines to arrive from UPS right now. I had no qualms about getting it now because I expect this to last me for more than just a year. I doubt the 4th generation iPad improves much beyond what's currently here. The screen is top of the line, the hardware is fine, especially when coupled with the software. Yeah it's been out 6 months or so. But if you always try to wait out for the latest and greatest (which, technically, this is), you might find yourself always waiting for the next great tech. It's a never ending cycle.

14. Liquinn Suspended

What do you mean? :p

15. phr0ze macrumors 6502a

I'd at least wait until Sept 12. While there are no ipad 3 changes expected, apple may put the new dock connector on it to match the new iPhone. In a matter of 12 days your ipad 3 could be obsolete if you don't wait.

16. Liquinn Suspended

I'm waiting for that reason. :D By then it'll only be 5 months until the iPad 4.

17. gpatrick15 macrumors regular

How will it become obsolete? Because the dock connector may change? Does it change the usability of the device with current owners? No. Will the 30 pin accessories suddenly vanish? No. Will the resale value take a hit? Doubtful. And, like I've said before, I don't think it makes much sense for the to change the dock connector mid cycle.

18. touchu4g thread starter macrumors member

I might get in 2 months. So if the iPad mini comes out, I will see which one will be better to buy.

19. Rodster macrumors 68040

Well said. There is NO in hell the current iPad becomes obsolete with the new connector.

20. ARSC macrumors 6502

+1

21. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Well, from what you described in your other posts, it seems like it would be worth getting for you. But only you can make that decision. If you think you will use it, then get it.

However, unless you really care about the new dock connector, I would get it now. The current iPad is nowhere near a refresh. And you said yourself you didn't want an iPad Mini. Even as an unreleased/rumored product, it's pretty easy for someone to know which size they would prefer.

22. BiteMyApple macrumors member

BiteMyApple

Amen.

23. kannesss macrumors 6502a

24. phr0ze macrumors 6502a

None of what you said contradicts what obsolete means, which just means something newer has come out and the fact that the manufacturer would no longer be producing the old one. Hey, an NES still has the same 'Apps', accessories, and connectors available to it. By your definition, its not obsolete either. Same with ipad 1.

Ohh, and you're dreaming if you think the accessories for the old connector will continue to flow. There will be some, but the cool stuff will be for the new connector. Its like going to find a case for a iphone 3gs. There are some, but not like the huge displays of iphone 4 cases. And they still make the iphone 3gs! Bascially, in 6 months, the ipad 3 with old connector will be worth a lot less than a ipad 3 with new connector.

Finally, I simply said it *could*. I know I'm getting the new iphone. I know I will now need two different wires to charge. Its a pain to me. But in all, if the ipad mini event is coming in Oct, they will probably wait for that.

25. darngooddesign macrumors G3

There are two things that might happen on the 12th.

1. A smaller 7" iPad.

2. The current iPad 3 will get the new dock connector.

If you care about the possibility of either of those its worth waiting just a bit longer. If not, now is a great time to buy the iPad 3.