Is it the G.Skill RAM i just bought that is causing apps to crash?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pianodude123, Dec 31, 2010.

1. pianodude123 macrumors 6502a

pianodude123

Recently I purchased 8GB of G Skill ram from newegg for $90. After installing it in my computer, i thought everything was working fine until I noticed apps crashing more frequently. Is it possible that the ram is causing this to happen? Also, my computer kernel panicked once since installation.

2. pianodude123 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pianodude123

The apps that freqently crash:

Photoshop CS3
    Garageband
    Adobe for safari plugin
    iMovie

3. gregrose macrumors 6502

probably, if it was fine before that. I got the crucial 8gigs of ram for $100 off of newegg last week, laptop has been perfect so far, id recommend returning the gskil & get the crucial

4. pianodude123 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pianodude123

I would... but apparently newegg charges a RESTOCKING FEE even for "defective" merchandise. Who do they think they are? They used to be such a great online merchant, now they suck.

5. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

lol I too am getting kernel panics however it's only in Safari and I also have the 8gb g.skill kit. I've stress tested my ram so i'm not sure it could be attributed directly to that but...there's alot of stuff that can cause kernel panics.

I know this isn't what you want to hear but if it is the ram i'm sure another kit would work. In that case, you could just RMA it to g.skill. Hope you kept your old pair.

6. pianodude123 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pianodude123

Yes I guess I could RMA it but if you're having the same exact problems would not that mean that a new set would have the same things happen? My computer NEVER kernel panicked with apple ram installed.

7. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

well, I used to get them quite frequently. I then reseated the ram and now its been working relatively well for about 3 days.

8. karohan macrumors 6502

Post the link to the G. Skill RAM you bought? I bought G. Skill too and it works great. If you have the latest revision, the issue is if you purchase the 1333 MHz RAM, it is incompatible with the Macbook Pro and will probably cause apps to crash. You need the 1066 MHz kind.

9. pianodude123 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pianodude123

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231294

Also.. i just put the dimms back in and did the test. This is weird:

Code:

Loops completed: 1

Total loops completed by memtest.  Note that the Rember is not always able to identify how many loops ran.  If there are discrepancies between this and the loops selected, the log should be examined to determine exactly how many loops were performed.
    -------

Total execution time:                   ok

All tests passed!  Execution time: 7048  seconds

This is the total amount of time that it took to execute the selected tests. Execution time may vary from system to system, and is provided as a guide for determining how long users can expect tests to run based on the amount of memory installed on the system.

Testing start time: 2010-12-31 14:09:07 -0500

Testing end time: 2010-12-31 16:06:39 -0500

Rember version: 0.3.7b Memtest version: 4.22 

10. pianodude123 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pianodude123

11. Mercboyz macrumors newbie

Hmm I have the same memory kit. Lately I've been having a problem with Faces in iPhoto '11. Every time I click on the Faces button, iPhoto crashes. Clicking on Places, Albums, Events or Photo's works fine. But Faces crashes the whole program. Any thoughts it might be related to memory?

12. karohan macrumors 6502

Hmmm, I have the same set and I have not noticed any trouble. That seems really odd though. Maybe you can call him G. Skill and ask for an exchange if everything continues?

13. pianodude123 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pianodude123

I am pretty sure that the faces problem might not be related to the ram. I just kernel panicked and even though my ram test says otherwise, I still think its the ram

14. revelated macrumors 6502a

revelated

While back I had bought the 8GB G.Skill kit for the MacBook Pro 15". It was a disaster. Kernel panics all over the place. So I went back to the stock RAM. Might go to the Crucial some day, but it's not really mission critical. More just to have the higher end. Adding a SSD seems to have negated any real need for the RAM.

But just FYI, those G.Skills are just not good quality. It's severe hit-and-miss with that RAM.

15. size100 macrumors regular

I have had a few cases were i RMAd with newegg and was charged no re-stocking fee on items that should have been charged re-stocking fees but were defective. They are very reasonable and flexible with their policies. People seem to abuse newegg sometimes though and maybe those people caused them to be strict.

16. pianodude123 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pianodude123

I got them to RMA my ram for free. I don't know what type to buy now though (under $100)

17. crypticlineage macrumors regular

Don't skimp on RAM. Get the highest quality one. Think about it like this: If your data gets corrupt tomorrow, how much money/time/energy/resources would you lose? Is it worth saving a bit of a cash for that much trouble?

18. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

19. proc23 macrumors newbie

20. CW Jones macrumors 6502

Been running G.Skill Ram for about 6 months now with no issues what so ever. Might just be some bad luck. Call G.Skill

21. pianodude123 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pianodude123

22. proc23 macrumors newbie

the ram i linked is 49.99, buy 2, with $.99 shipping is still cheaper than the kingston you are looking at, the amazon shipping is $6. $110 total vs $101 total..... just sayin

23. pianodude123 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pianodude123

I've heard some people have been able to find the crucial on the cheap at newegg as it goes on sale frequently. I sent the G.SKills back and i checked the reviews and it looks like others have had the same problem. The manufacturer just goes and tells them to buy the "apple specific" ram...

24. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

There is no restocking fee if you set up an RMA over the phone.

25. Hello,Im-A-Mac macrumors newbie

I just bought myself an 8GB G.Skill stick of RAM too. The same thing is happening to me! I am getting a Kernal Panic when I try to use certain applications/software. I am running a 2011 iMac 21.5" with OSX10.6.8.
    I haven't tried out all my software yet, But so far it has crashed once with Photoshopped after working for about 5 minutes (causing me to lose my work) and it crashes EVERY TIME upon opening uTorrent. I am a video editor and I mainly work for long hours in editing software, I haven't tested those out yet but I have a feeling they will crash too. I'm really pissed off about this! I bought the RAM for $75, thought it was a bargain! Guess you can't go for the cheap stuff! :mad:

I'm thinking instead I might buy Corsair RAM. Can anyone recommend Corsair?