Is it the right time to buy myself a new MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by knicksplayer, Jul 14, 2010.

1. knicksplayer macrumors member

Hi everyone!

I need a little help. I am thinking of getting the latest 13" macbook pro but want your opinion on this: is it the right time to buy one? In other words, will they be a major facelift of the MBPs anytime soon as they've looked to same for over a year?

Thanks for your help!

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

3. Mac7 macrumors 6502a

Mac7

4. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Major facelift, not until 2011. Could they see a bump in the Fall? Probably. If you are a student/educator and can take advantage of the BTS promo, now's a great time to buy.

5. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

I have the older generation MBP. It's a great computer, and you won't regret the purchase.
    For the avg. consumer, a Core 2 Duo is fine. You don't need an i series processor most likely unless you are planning on doing some series adobe CS work, or finding the cure for cancer. :) (If you were doing that i'd reccomend an Mac Pro or X-Serve)
    Otherwise, great battery life, and amazing portability.
    Although, if you plan on doing any graphics intensive work, please save yourself the hassle and buy a 15".

6. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Look for Sandy Bridge upgrade in the Jan-April time frame. That will be the big performance upgrade, if that's what you're hunting for.

7. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

A newer look nah, a better processor and other specs yes, I'd just get the current one if i need it

8. iBaloney macrumors 6502

iBaloney

nows the perfect time to buy one! i just bought my 15'' MBP yesterday!

9. ag227 macrumors regular

i personally thing that they will get a facelift soon aswell as core i processors across the hole range.

My theory behind this is that most notebook manufactures are changing to 16:9 instead of 16:10 screens, and apple followed this with the iMac.

I see them changing to this and then as there is extra width in the notebook, being able to fit in the dedicated gpu into the 13" with core i3 or i5.

If you need it now then buy it, especially if you can get the free ipod with rebate and then sell it if not wanted.

10. knicksplayer thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all your responses! So if I understand, nothing has been announced on an upcoming new macbook pro release? I know apple sometime uses the student offers to clear the shelves and suddenly bring in a new version, this is why I'm asking :p

11. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

While that is common practice to clear iPod inventory, it's not so common for macbook inventory, although there are sometimes October-ish speed bumps. They never announce availability more than a couple weeks ahead of time, and this is usually via an event. Most times, it's a silent, surprise update.