Is it time for someone to write a new OS for the Touch and iPhone

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by jne381, Oct 8, 2007.

1. jne381 macrumors regular

With Apple crippling software and and locking down these devices, should someone start to write software for these devices from the ground up. New OS, with all the features that are possible for the Touch and the iPhone. I guess it would mean writing an alternative to iTunes, but perhaps it would be worth it. If it was good, I would be willing to pay for it.

2. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

but the os is the best thing about it, take that away and whats the point? just buy and achos or something

3. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Well, if you could get past the patented GUI.....

You would still incur hundreds (minimum) of man-years of development costs (assuming you were to build a new GUI on top of modifiable open-source OS).

After all that, you would end up with a device that was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike an iPhone.

4. Project macrumors 68020

Clearly you have little idea of the amount of time and effort it takes to create an OS. Even more so for an OS and UI that is as great as what Apple has achieved.

5. SirithX macrumors 6502

SirithX

Well, a team could conceivably develop a version of Linux that could work on it, or a whole other new OS altogether. Of course, the time and resources necessary to do so are simply too great in comparison to the benefits. Not to mention they would need Apple approval, perhaps even help from Apple the same way the Yellow Dog Linux team codeveloped it with Sony for the PS3.

6. savar macrumors 68000

savar

Posts like this raise my blood pressure unnecessarily.

7. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

clearly you didn't realize apple didn't "create" OSX by itself. actually, 80% of the OSX's code base is not from apple.

for a small device, an OS is not as difficult to write as windows/linux. further considering iPT/iPhone is such a closed system, it would be even easier than palm os. Its just nowadays everybody is lazy, they just borrow from linux/unix.

8. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

Yes, but getting the multi-touch UI and rotation sensor down and developing a super-polished UI taking advantage of it, that's the rub. ;)

They could ape a lot of the current GUI elements (single tap for video controls, double tap to expand video, etc.) but that 'fit and finish' element would take a lot of time IMO. OTOH I have no conception of what it's like to work with the hardware at a low level (or any level for that matter!)

I'm sure someone will try sooner or later, but I won't hold my breath for the final product. :)

9. jne381 thread starter macrumors regular

10. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

11. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

Buhhaahhaaaaaaa...

Yah. _that'll happen_...

12. jne381 thread starter macrumors regular

I assumed that he was saying it wouldn't be done because it would be too much trouble. Perhaps I inferred wrongly, but I don't think so.

13. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Apparantly you dont understand how much work has been put into that, and very little has come from it yet. Like every version of linux that gets onto ipods (i had it on my 5.5g) this one will be nice, but lacking because the movement simply doesnt have the legs or funding to make anything near what apple has.

14. old-wiz macrumors G3

I spent 40 years in software development in the OS kernel area. Believe me, writing a new OS is not a trivial project. You need intimate knowledge of the hardware,for example, and do you think Apple is going to give you that? If you want to develop a new OS, fine, but how are you going to pay for it? You need to pay the people to do the work, equipment,testing, marketing, etc. What would be the return? You can't expect to sell it for a lot of money; most people are content with the Apple OS and are not likely to shell out money for a better OS. Granted enthusiasts would pay, but they tend not to spend a lot of money. And what do you do if Apple decides to make a hardware change that kills your OS? You couldn't expect Apple to keep their hardware the same just so your OS will work.

15. tremlock macrumors 6502a

tremlock

someone already did. It's called a blackberry. :)