Is it time to ask Apple for a new Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Michael73, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Michael73 macrumors 65816

I'm not going to completely rehash my old thread here http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=402804 but in a nut shell here's what happened...

I took my MP in 1/12/08 and they returned it 1/25/08 having completely replaced the motherboard and RAM cage (during reassembly they found the screws were stripped and had to replace the entire cage). Within 1 day the machine was shutting down and had a burning/hot metal smell. Took the MP back to the store 1/27/08. They put it on the bench immediately and found they had forgotten to plug the power supply fan in so the machine was overheating and powering down. I got the MP back on 1/28/08. I'm working on the machine tonight and I'll be damned but the same video artifacts start showing up again. Unfortunately, it's after hours for AppleCare but I'll call first thing in the morning.

Obviously, I can demand to have the motherboard replaced again but at this point I don't want to be out of a computer again. Do I have a legitimate claim to ask for a new machine? If I don't, how many times does the motherboard have to fail before I can? This is getting ridiculous.

2. stoppard macrumors member

You should look into the lemon laws in your state but yes it would seem reasonable to ask for a new machine w/ a third issue.

3. ErikAndre macrumors 6502a

ErikAndre

Here's what you do.... Put AppleCare aside and go back into the store. They should remember you. Talk with the manager and explain with him the situation and your honest frustration and say you just want a new Mac Pro. Be nice about it. Chances are, you'll get one. I think it's legitimate. If he doesn't budge, try another store (if one's nearby). If not, then you lost nothing by trying.

4. Banacek macrumors 6502

You should take it back and politely, yet firmly, insist that you get a new MP. I wouldn't settle for less.

5. Michael73 thread starter macrumors 65816

I hope I'm not becoming a pest at the store but a bunch of the people there know me now because of the issues. I think they feel for me, having to lug this 55lbs machine in. The apple store is only 15 minutes from my house but it's the only one in the state and it's located in an upscale busy mall. I know by now to go into the store first and get a dolly rather than parking half a block away and carrying it in.

Even if the store manager is willing to give me a new machine, my current one was BTO with the bluetooth card and several other items. Wouldn't they just give me a stock machine rather than letting me do a BTO that is comparably equipped to my current one?

6. AmericanScience macrumors newbie

um.

If they do, then you're either terrible at stating the facts of the case, or a major pushover. Not to be difficult, but seriously, dude. Do you even have to ask that question?

7. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

Demand a new MacPro, thats alot of maintenance for something that should have easily been fixed the first time and they made a lot of mistakes, stripped screws, PSU fan not plugged in...cmon that could fry the over 700$ logic board and components right there.

What I'd recommend is clearly state your issue, and your previous experience coming into the store give them that notice that this issue has yet to be resolved and point out hte dangers the tech team did when not properly finishing a repair.

have them swap out the Bluetooth and airport into the new macpro and anything else that might differ from the Standard model compared to your BTO

and hopefully you get a good machine and never have to deal with that type of thing again!

goodluck! post back!

:apple:

8. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

I suggest you calm down. The problem is being worked.

(jk)

9. Michael73 thread starter macrumors 65816

Wasn't that the Steve response for an angry missive sent on behalf of all old MP owners because the new 8800GT wasn't backwards compatible?!?

I gotta say, if they're going to make me whole and replace my machine, I'd gladly throw another couple hundred in their direction for this new card in a new machine!

10. kdb31 macrumors member

I had issues with a macbook pro; i had the logic board replaced 3 times and then after i recieved the computer back from repair #3 the case was completely scratched up. It looked like they slid the computer around on a concrete floor, flipped it over, and slid it around some more; I was speachless for lack of a better word. I explained to them that as a student whos work completely relies on that computer functioning every day, I just couldn't afford to be without it 3 days at a time. Unfortunately that wasn't enough to get a replacement; I was however able to get them to agree that if my computer should have one more problem that they would just give me a new one. Just wanted to share that experience... maybe you could get them to agree to a similar compromise if theyre not willing to give you a new one.

11. Bastich macrumors regular

Is there no other authorized Apple repair place in town? A quick call to them might reveal what it takes to get a full replacement. Just be aware that your replacement unit will not necessarily be new.

And if you're worried about being a pest, you're not going to get anything. You can either be good cop or bad– not both.

:cool:

12. Michael73 thread starter macrumors 65816

Well, here's the thing...the most recent logic board replacement took 13 days plus an extra day after I had to bring it in because they didn't hook up the fan. The fact is I've been dealing with these video issues for around 2 months and they have yet to be resolved.

Here's another part of the story I didn't mention...

When I originally called AppleCare, they suggested the problem was caused by the video card overheating. The gave me the option of sending me a new one or taking it to the store where "it would only take an hour or two to replace." When I got to the store they were nice but said they'd want to test the whole machine and would have it for a minimum of 5 days before they could return it with a new video card. Frustrated, I called AppleCare back and had them mail me a new video card which arrived within 24 hrs.

If we put aside for a moment the idea that Apple cares about it's customers and is only interested in the bottom line and it's shareholders, then I still think I have a financial case for a replacement.

Look, they've replaced the video card, I'll be on my 3rd motherboard, and a RAM cage. If each motherboard plus labor runs about $850 and the RAM cage is $75 and the video card is $150 then we're talking $2,775. A brand new machine is on $24 dollars more. Heck with my corporate discount it's nearly $200 more!

13. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I don't understand the big fuss. Clearly that system is a lemon, take it back and politely and firmly ask (read:demand) they replace it like for like in its entirety.

14. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

my mbp recently went in to the apple store to swap the superdrive (the old one wasn't reading media at all!), but before i went in i called applecare, and the woman on the phone told me that if it needs to be fixed 3 times they give you a replacement.

Moreover, that also seems to be the number or repairs at which people here over the last few years have been given replacement units

15. ErikAndre macrumors 6502a

ErikAndre

Listen, just talk with the manager at the Apple Store... he should sort it out.

Of course, you could always email Steve Jobs (like this one guy did) and he'll most likely shoot an email over to that manager. That one guy isn't the only one, there's also this guy and this guy, just to name a couple. But then again... you should also try just talking with the manager first... this guy did and it worked.

There's always a way, my friend. Good luck. [​IMG]

16. benpatient macrumors 68000

i know i'm slightly off-topic, but why do mac people like to call their motherboard a "logic" board?

I've never understood that. doesn't seem very logical.

17. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

^ I think Apple have just always referred to them that way.

18. Jupeman macrumors member

Fwiw, the calm approach has worked for me. When I bought my 30" ACD way back when, it had a bunch of dead pixels. I took it the local store (had ordered it online - note also a beast to lug around) and showed the Genius who also showed the store manager. They simply replaced the monitor on the spot.

19. Michael73 thread starter macrumors 65816

Just an update...

I called the store just after 10am to make sure the manager was in. Rather than talk to him on the phone, I drove over there and was very matter of fact but nice about it. I told him his team and store was great but the hardware issues really needed to be solved with a new machine. He told me he had no direct authority to give me a new machine but would:
    1. Update the case notes
    2. Recommend a new machine when Apple called
    3. Would assist in any data and hardware transfer

He told me to call Apple Customer Relations. As soon as I left the store, I sat on some couches just around the corner and called. I spoke with Meagan who completely sympathized with me, told me she'd research the issue and call the store. I told her my desired outcome was a new machine. I'm now waiting for her to call me back.

I've gotta say the standard floor model at the store would suit me just fine - 2.8 oct core, 4GB RAM. Heck, I don't even need the internal 320GB drive or the keyboard and mouse. I'll just transfer my 4 x 500GB SATA. I'll throw in my second SuperDrive. The only thing I'd want the store to do is transfer the airport extreme/bluetooth card and I'm good. Oh yeah, I want AT LEAST the balance of my AppleCare warranty on the new hardware which would take me out to 9/09.

20. ErikAndre macrumors 6502a

ErikAndre

Good for you. Seriously. I guess the manager is looking after his bottom line. Canadians :rolleyes:. Seriously tho, I'm glad they're working on it. Keep us posted.

PS: I've dated two Canadians... I'd date one again, but I have a great Floridian one now. :D

21. Michael73 thread starter macrumors 65816

WOOHOO!!!!!

I LOVE APPLE!

NEW MACHINE ON THE WAY!

I'm supposed to receive a confirmation from the Advance Replacement Team within 24 hours but the specs on the new box are great. They'll be sending the custom configured machine to the AppleStore so I can do the exchange there. As far as the AppleCare, they'll pro-rate the remainder an pay me out the rest and then I can buy a new policy on the machine that will go a full 3 years.

22. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

well done, fantastic news. I have to say that my experiences with applecare, although not going quite as far as relieving a new machine, hav always been excellent. Most recently i got a replacement superdrive for my mbp, and at the store in bluewater they replaced it in an hour while i waited!

23. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

People really do seem to have success with that approach. I'm sure it's not Jobs himself, but it probably is high level PR people at Apple HQ.

Clam, polite, but firm is always the best way to go. :)

Awesome! Glad to hear this is being dealt with satisfactorily. A new machine is absolutely the fair thing at this point. Btw, there's no longer a need to worry about a bluetooth customization as they (finally!) made it standard. Enjoy the new mac pro!

24. LOZER macrumors member

Good for you man! Now i wish i could have the same problems to get a new one as well :D

25. ErikAndre macrumors 6502a

ErikAndre

Congrats man! Glad to see this thread paid off (even if it just confirmed what you were originally going to do).