Is it time to upgrade to a rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rumrogers, Aug 30, 2012.

1. rumrogers macrumors newbie

Hey all,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I have a question about upgrading to an rMBP and whether it's the right time to or not.

A little background, I'm a student of Industrial Design. This means I use Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, AfterEffects, SolidWorks, Rhino, Maxwell, and Keyshot(as the most processor-intensive software). I also enjoy playing games on Steam.

My current setup is:

- Mid-2009 15" MBP
    - 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2
    - 4 GB of RAM
    - 512GB of storage space
    - GeForce 9400M 256MB

I've had this computer for almost 3 years and it has treated me wonderfully. However, a couple months ago I dropped it and broke the screen, albeit not entirely.

Naturally, this makes it hard to do work with the kinds of software I listed above. My computer still functions, but it's usability is hampered and it's not getting any better.

I know I want to upgrade to a rMBP at some point, but I'm wondering whether now is the time. The reasons I'd like to upgrade now are:

a.) I don't particularly feel like slogging through my Senior year with a hobbled laptop.
    b.) I may be able to make this tax-deductible while I'm currently employed at my summer internship
    c.) If I order before September 21st, I get a $100 App Store card

I really like the idea of going through Senior year with a great machine, but I don't want to be short-changed by a coming update cycle.

Will someone please provide some insight into whether this is the right time to be upgrading? And whether the current rMBPs and their known issues(screen ghosting, the 650M lagging a bit) are dealbreakers?

Money isn't really a concern with this one.

Thanks in advance.

2. Stetrain macrumors 68040

As far as it being updated, don't worry. There have been rumors of a 13" Retina model coming out this fall, but the 15" model probably won't be updated until next summer.

3. Chedd, Aug 30, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2012

Chedd macrumors member

Whoa that's crazy, I have just about the same setup (sans the 512GB Storage), and am a student of Photography and Graphic Design. I work extensively with those adobe products. I'm looking at getting either a rMBP or MBA Ultimate (2012). Do Rhino, Maxwell, and Keyshot require a good GPU?

4. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

If you don't really need the specs of the rMBP then there is not much of a point in purchasing that specific computer. I would suggest simply replacing the screen but if money is not an issue as you have listed then you might as well just upgrade to a new unit.

5. rumrogers thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't think the MBA can quite cut it for what I want. Honestly, if I'm upgrading, I'm going to do it to a properly capable computer. I think my basic options at this point are:

1.) Fix the screen, wait until a rMBP update

2.) ****in' buy an rMBP and live with the consequences

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Seems like you want someone to decide for you what you want.

You want the Retina MacBook Pro and my decision is you should go buy it now.

7. polotska macrumors 6502

I’d go for it now, unless you think you might prefer the form factor of a 13" Retina MBP.

8. 725032 Guest

The retina mbp is plagued with issues... Wait for the next gen

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

What issues are you experiencing?

10. rumrogers thread starter macrumors newbie

See this is exactly what I'm talking about. "Plagued" is a strong term; what exactly is going on?

11. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

Do you own one ? If yes, what issues is it *plagued* with ?

The ONLY issue I ever had was IR [ LG screen ] and the replacement [ Samsung screen ] has ZERO issues!

It boots up in less than 10 seconds, is fast, quieter and runs MUCH cooler compared to the cMBP, is very portable, the keyboard is better than the cMBP, and the screen is gorgeous. Lag is only noticeable on FaceBook and on the iGPU [ HD4000 ].

Sure, certain apps aren't retina compatible, but that's not the computer's problem!

Gotta love how people are exaggerating issues with the rMBP!

12. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

I did and am d$%n glad i did! I even got the wife one. And if momma ain't happy.....;)

while that may be true for some folks's units...it is defintely not true of our two units.

13. 725032 Guest

I returned mine back to Apple after a week... A huge let down

Im waiting for the next gen release

14. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

Exactly! However, I agree that there are quite a few problems with the screen such as burn in, colour issues and white marks. I had a few replacement but I think it's worth the effort and time because I can't find a better laptop than the MacBook Pro Retina ;)

But some people are just jealous :D

15. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

Once again, what issues is the Retina MBP * Plagued * with ?

Even if I give you the benefit that your particular piece was defective, did you try swapping for a new unit ?

16. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

If you're a student, you probably shouldn't worry about it. If you were working with super heavy models in rhino, it would likely require a desktop or workstation. I'm not sure why the use of keyshot and rhino for graphic design. It seems weird to me using a CAD nurbs modeler for your area of study.

17. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

If I were you, I would honestly wait. Im probably going to be getting one when it is next updated. I feel that a stronger GPU will make the updated version that much better. Ive seen some lag on them when Ive tried them in store. Granted, it is not nearly as bad as some people make it out to be. Also, the fact that not all apps are retina capable sort of turns me off of it for now. I figure by the next release, things will be much more compatible with the retina display.

18. stevelam macrumors 65816

Horrible timing to upgrade. None of the software you mentioned is retina optimized so they'll all look awful and blurry.

19. iRobby macrumors 6502a

iRobby

I'm using a base Retina Macbook Pro right now! got it a 1.5 weeks ago. I haven't been PLAGUED by any issues! This is the best computer I ever owned. It's lightning fast, awesome resolution, great speakers. No display issues and that's with an LG display!

This is my first Mac and I am 100% SATISFIED!!

I'd update to it if I were you. As far a s your concerns about the "consequence" of an update they just launched it only 3 months ago!

20. unixperience, Aug 30, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2012

unixperience macrumors regular

I know you didn't ask directly, but the screen issue isn't a huge deal. I had a similar issue mine was a 2" vertical stripe in the center of my screen, but a new screen from ebay was around $60 and the install was pretty easy (used iFixit for instructions) if your comp is treating you well now, you may as well keep it, but that is my opinion since money typically is an issue lol

anyway i'd say if you want it and need it then get it. But maybe wait a little like a few weeks. I remember when my sis bought her mac they were giving away ipod touches, and durring the last two weeks of the promotion they came out with new touches with cameras! not saying this is the same, but if there is an update late in the game you can still cash in on it. if you buy it this very second, you very likely won't miss out on anything, but if you do you will feel silly. besides, sometimes a little time helps clear your thoughts

**EDIT** This may not be for your exact model but this is $67 macbook pro 15" screen from new jersey (not some weird overseas nonsense) so there are deals out there

21. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

My wife has the exact same laptop as yours and we're getting her the rMBP this weekend most likely.
    She already wants it bad, I just like making her wait sometimes.

As for problems.... who knows, supposedly every Mac I've bought had problems that render them useless and catch on fire but, funniest thing, we never experience any of them.

3-27" iMacs and no bad screens, c'mon that can't be right.

Didn't mean to bring that thread back up again.

rumrogers, My advise is, you can afford it, you have the money to spend on it, you want it.
    Do it.

Reading half the ish on here, you'd wonder how Apple sells anything.

22. hayden1250 macrumors member

hayden1250

I would personally wait.

Apple is using this one to test the market and establish any design issues. They did the exact same for the MacBook Air. It allows them to identify and iron out any problems and eliminate them on future models. The second generation tends to be the more refined model.

23. miriamn macrumors newbie

I have the same opinion. I would wait definetely. I will tell you why.

When there is a new product launch always is more expensive than when it gets broadly used. Now the rMBP is a new launch and, even if it is a great product it will be overprices when you will look backwards from next year.

In one year Apple will use its retina displays to differentiate from the competence in all the MAC Line, and this rMBP is only the starting point.

Once the 13' rMBP is released, all the rest none-retina will be pulled out.

24. toondw macrumors 6502

The problem with waiting for the next best thing us you will always wait for the next best thing, then the next, then the next......you get my drift!

If you want it, get it and enjoy it. I did! The problem with this forum lately its just full of people moaning.

But then i suppose only disgruntled people use this forum these days the rest of us just enjoy...... ;)

25. gentlefury macrumors 68030

Based in your useage I would say 100% yes, upgrade. I am using my rMBP for VFX and it runs like a champ!!