Is it time to upgrade to a rMBP?

rumrogers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2012
3
0
Hey all,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I have a question about upgrading to an rMBP and whether it's the right time to or not.

A little background, I'm a student of Industrial Design. This means I use Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, AfterEffects, SolidWorks, Rhino, Maxwell, and Keyshot(as the most processor-intensive software). I also enjoy playing games on Steam.

My current setup is:

- Mid-2009 15" MBP
- 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2
- 4 GB of RAM
- 512GB of storage space
- GeForce 9400M 256MB

I've had this computer for almost 3 years and it has treated me wonderfully. However, a couple months ago I dropped it and broke the screen, albeit not entirely.

Naturally, this makes it hard to do work with the kinds of software I listed above. My computer still functions, but it's usability is hampered and it's not getting any better.

I know I want to upgrade to a rMBP at some point, but I'm wondering whether now is the time. The reasons I'd like to upgrade now are:

a.) I don't particularly feel like slogging through my Senior year with a hobbled laptop.
b.) I may be able to make this tax-deductible while I'm currently employed at my summer internship
c.) If I order before September 21st, I get a $100 App Store card

I really like the idea of going through Senior year with a great machine, but I don't want to be short-changed by a coming update cycle.

Will someone please provide some insight into whether this is the right time to be upgrading? And whether the current rMBPs and their known issues(screen ghosting, the 650M lagging a bit) are dealbreakers?

Money isn't really a concern with this one.

Thanks in advance.
 

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
3,548
18
As far as it being updated, don't worry. There have been rumors of a 13" Retina model coming out this fall, but the 15" model probably won't be updated until next summer.
 

Chedd

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2012
52
0
A little background, I'm a student of Industrial Design. This means I use Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, AfterEffects, SolidWorks, Rhino, Maxwell, and Keyshot(as the most processor-intensive software). I also enjoy playing games on Steam.

My current setup is:

- Mid-2009 15" MBP
- 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2
- 4 GB of RAM
- 512GB of storage space
- GeForce 9400M 256MB
Whoa that's crazy, I have just about the same setup (sans the 512GB Storage), and am a student of Photography and Graphic Design. I work extensively with those adobe products. I'm looking at getting either a rMBP or MBA Ultimate (2012). Do Rhino, Maxwell, and Keyshot require a good GPU?
 
Last edited:

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
2,614
465
If you don't really need the specs of the rMBP then there is not much of a point in purchasing that specific computer. I would suggest simply replacing the screen but if money is not an issue as you have listed then you might as well just upgrade to a new unit.
 

rumrogers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2012
3
0
Whoa that's crazy, I have just about the same setup (sans the 512GB Storage), and am a student of Photography and Graphic Design. I work extensively with those adobe products. I'm looking at getting either a rMBP or MBA Ultimate (2012). Do Rhino, Maxwell, and Keyshot require a good GPU?
I don't think the MBA can quite cut it for what I want. Honestly, if I'm upgrading, I'm going to do it to a properly capable computer. I think my basic options at this point are:

1.) Fix the screen, wait until a rMBP update

2.) ****in' buy an rMBP and live with the consequences
 

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
22,164
1,209
NYC
Seems like you want someone to decide for you what you want.

You want the Retina MacBook Pro and my decision is you should go buy it now.
 

polotska

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2007
254
0
I’d go for it now, unless you think you might prefer the form factor of a 13" Retina MBP.
 

M5RahuL

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2009
2,692
982
Colorado
The retina mbp is plagued with issues... Wait for the next gen
Do you own one ? If yes, what issues is it *plagued* with ?

The ONLY issue I ever had was IR [ LG screen ] and the replacement [ Samsung screen ] has ZERO issues!

It boots up in less than 10 seconds, is fast, quieter and runs MUCH cooler compared to the cMBP, is very portable, the keyboard is better than the cMBP, and the screen is gorgeous. Lag is only noticeable on FaceBook and on the iGPU [ HD4000 ].

Sure, certain apps aren't retina compatible, but that's not the computer's problem!

Gotta love how people are exaggerating issues with the rMBP!
 

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
4,543
415
Atlanta
****in' buy an rMBP and live with the consequences
I did and am d$%n glad i did! I even got the wife one. And if momma ain't happy.....;)



the retina mbp is plagued with issues...
while that may be true for some folks's units...it is defintely not true of our two units.
 

725032

Guest
Aug 5, 2012
724
0
I returned mine back to Apple after a week... A huge let down

Im waiting for the next gen release
 

henry72

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2009
1,097
75
New Zealand
Do you own one ? If yes, what issues is it *plagued* with ?

The ONLY issue I ever had was IR [ LG screen ] and the replacement [ Samsung screen ] has ZERO issues!

It boots up in less than 10 seconds, is fast, quieter and runs MUCH cooler compared to the cMBP, is very portable, the keyboard is better than the cMBP, and the screen is gorgeous. Lag is only noticeable on FaceBook and on the iGPU [ HD4000 ].

Sure, certain apps aren't retina compatible, but that's not the computer's problem!

Gotta love how people are exaggerating issues with the rMBP!
Exactly! However, I agree that there are quite a few problems with the screen such as burn in, colour issues and white marks. I had a few replacement but I think it's worth the effort and time because I can't find a better laptop than the MacBook Pro Retina ;)

But some people are just jealous :D
 

M5RahuL

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2009
2,692
982
Colorado
I returned mine back to Apple after a week... A huge let down

Im waiting for the next gen release
Once again, what issues is the Retina MBP * Plagued * with ?

Even if I give you the benefit that your particular piece was defective, did you try swapping for a new unit ?
 

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
6,721
1,820
Whoa that's crazy, I have just about the same setup (sans the 512GB Storage), and am a student of Photography and Graphic Design. I work extensively with those adobe products. I'm looking at getting either a rMBP or MBA Ultimate (2012). Do Rhino, Maxwell, and Keyshot require a good GPU?
If you're a student, you probably shouldn't worry about it. If you were working with super heavy models in rhino, it would likely require a desktop or workstation. I'm not sure why the use of keyshot and rhino for graphic design. It seems weird to me using a CAD nurbs modeler for your area of study.
 

JamesGorman

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2008
1,123
1
Winnipeg
If I were you, I would honestly wait. Im probably going to be getting one when it is next updated. I feel that a stronger GPU will make the updated version that much better. Ive seen some lag on them when Ive tried them in store. Granted, it is not nearly as bad as some people make it out to be. Also, the fact that not all apps are retina capable sort of turns me off of it for now. I figure by the next release, things will be much more compatible with the retina display.
 

stevelam

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2010
1,215
3
Hey all,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I have a question about upgrading to an rMBP and whether it's the right time to or not.

A little background, I'm a student of Industrial Design. This means I use Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, AfterEffects, SolidWorks, Rhino, Maxwell, and Keyshot(as the most processor-intensive software). I also enjoy playing games on Steam.

My current setup is:

- Mid-2009 15" MBP
- 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2
- 4 GB of RAM
- 512GB of storage space
- GeForce 9400M 256MB

I've had this computer for almost 3 years and it has treated me wonderfully. However, a couple months ago I dropped it and broke the screen, albeit not entirely.

Naturally, this makes it hard to do work with the kinds of software I listed above. My computer still functions, but it's usability is hampered and it's not getting any better.

I know I want to upgrade to a rMBP at some point, but I'm wondering whether now is the time. The reasons I'd like to upgrade now are:

a.) I don't particularly feel like slogging through my Senior year with a hobbled laptop.
b.) I may be able to make this tax-deductible while I'm currently employed at my summer internship
c.) If I order before September 21st, I get a $100 App Store card

I really like the idea of going through Senior year with a great machine, but I don't want to be short-changed by a coming update cycle.

Will someone please provide some insight into whether this is the right time to be upgrading? And whether the current rMBPs and their known issues(screen ghosting, the 650M lagging a bit) are dealbreakers?

Money isn't really a concern with this one.

Thanks in advance.
Horrible timing to upgrade. None of the software you mentioned is retina optimized so they'll all look awful and blurry.
 

iRobby

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2011
994
5
Fort Myers, FL USA
See this is exactly what I'm talking about. "Plagued" is a strong term; what exactly is going on?
I'm using a base Retina Macbook Pro right now! got it a 1.5 weeks ago. I haven't been PLAGUED by any issues! This is the best computer I ever owned. It's lightning fast, awesome resolution, great speakers. No display issues and that's with an LG display!

This is my first Mac and I am 100% SATISFIED!!

I'd update to it if I were you. As far a s your concerns about the "consequence" of an update they just launched it only 3 months ago!
 

unixperience

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2010
235
5
I know you didn't ask directly, but the screen issue isn't a huge deal. I had a similar issue mine was a 2" vertical stripe in the center of my screen, but a new screen from ebay was around $60 and the install was pretty easy (used iFixit for instructions) if your comp is treating you well now, you may as well keep it, but that is my opinion since money typically is an issue lol

anyway i'd say if you want it and need it then get it. But maybe wait a little like a few weeks. I remember when my sis bought her mac they were giving away ipod touches, and durring the last two weeks of the promotion they came out with new touches with cameras! not saying this is the same, but if there is an update late in the game you can still cash in on it. if you buy it this very second, you very likely won't miss out on anything, but if you do you will feel silly. besides, sometimes a little time helps clear your thoughts


**EDIT** This may not be for your exact model but this is $67 macbook pro 15" screen from new jersey (not some weird overseas nonsense) so there are deals out there
 
Last edited:

mmomega

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2009
3,369
1,537
DFW, TX
My wife has the exact same laptop as yours and we're getting her the rMBP this weekend most likely.
She already wants it bad, I just like making her wait sometimes.

As for problems.... who knows, supposedly every Mac I've bought had problems that render them useless and catch on fire but, funniest thing, we never experience any of them.

3-27" iMacs and no bad screens, c'mon that can't be right.

Didn't mean to bring that thread back up again.

rumrogers, My advise is, you can afford it, you have the money to spend on it, you want it.
Do it.

Reading half the ish on here, you'd wonder how Apple sells anything.
 

hayden1250

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2011
95
10
Auckland, New Zealand
I would personally wait.

Apple is using this one to test the market and establish any design issues. They did the exact same for the MacBook Air. It allows them to identify and iron out any problems and eliminate them on future models. The second generation tends to be the more refined model.
 

miriamn

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2012
2
0
I would personally wait.

Apple is using this one to test the market and establish any design issues. They did the exact same for the MacBook Air. It allows them to identify and iron out any problems and eliminate them on future models. The second generation tends to be the more refined model.

I have the same opinion. I would wait definetely. I will tell you why.

When there is a new product launch always is more expensive than when it gets broadly used. Now the rMBP is a new launch and, even if it is a great product it will be overprices when you will look backwards from next year.

In one year Apple will use its retina displays to differentiate from the competence in all the MAC Line, and this rMBP is only the starting point.

Once the 13' rMBP is released, all the rest none-retina will be pulled out.
 

toondw

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2009
335
1
Northumberland, UK
The problem with waiting for the next best thing us you will always wait for the next best thing, then the next, then the next......you get my drift!

If you want it, get it and enjoy it. I did! The problem with this forum lately its just full of people moaning.

But then i suppose only disgruntled people use this forum these days the rest of us just enjoy...... ;)
 

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
2,848
0
Los Angeles, CA
Hey all,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I have a question about upgrading to an rMBP and whether it's the right time to or not.

A little background, I'm a student of Industrial Design. This means I use Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, AfterEffects, SolidWorks, Rhino, Maxwell, and Keyshot(as the most processor-intensive software). I also enjoy playing games on Steam.

My current setup is:

- Mid-2009 15" MBP
- 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2
- 4 GB of RAM
- 512GB of storage space
- GeForce 9400M 256MB

I've had this computer for almost 3 years and it has treated me wonderfully. However, a couple months ago I dropped it and broke the screen, albeit not entirely.

Naturally, this makes it hard to do work with the kinds of software I listed above. My computer still functions, but it's usability is hampered and it's not getting any better.

I know I want to upgrade to a rMBP at some point, but I'm wondering whether now is the time. The reasons I'd like to upgrade now are:

a.) I don't particularly feel like slogging through my Senior year with a hobbled laptop.
b.) I may be able to make this tax-deductible while I'm currently employed at my summer internship
c.) If I order before September 21st, I get a $100 App Store card

I really like the idea of going through Senior year with a great machine, but I don't want to be short-changed by a coming update cycle.

Will someone please provide some insight into whether this is the right time to be upgrading? And whether the current rMBPs and their known issues(screen ghosting, the 650M lagging a bit) are dealbreakers?

Money isn't really a concern with this one.

Thanks in advance.
Based in your useage I would say 100% yes, upgrade. I am using my rMBP for VFX and it runs like a champ!!