Is it to late to buy an ipad pro

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Barcafan89, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Barcafan89 macrumors member

Barcafan89

How long have they been out are they getting old now wouldn't wanna buy one if it's gonna get outdated soon

2. mikzn macrumors 6502

mikzn

If you mean - should you buy now or wait till September for the release of new products - I am sitting on the same fence.

iPAD pro is a new category and I am looking at the 12.9" version which could use a few updates to match the 9.7

It all depends when the new updates are coming September or next year?

3. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

Depends on which Pro you're talking about. The 12.9" might be getting updated soon, but the 9.7" just came out a few months ago so it probably won't be getting refreshed anytime soon.

4. Kal-037 macrumors 6502a

Kal-037

Depends on the day, but usually I live all over.
    I say if you like the 9.7" iPad size then for sure grab an iPP as they are on sale and are only barely 4 months old. If you are wanting the 12.9"... then I suggest waiting until Fall. Not that buying the 12.9" would be bad (it will still be a beast of an iPad and has amazing technology,) it's just that there is a good chance it will be upgraded in 2-3 months. :)

Kallum.

5. DarkCole macrumors regular

DarkCole

Are you expecting a unveiling at Apple's September conference? I'm very hesitant to buy the IPP 12.9 right now because of length it has been out already. I'm wanting to use it for a drawing tablet and if the next IPP 12.9 has a true tone display and possibly an updated Apple Pencil that would be amazing and well worth the wait.

6. Kal-037 macrumors 6502a

Kal-037

Depends on the day, but usually I live all over.
    I'm expecting it yes, but I also was saying the current 12.9" is nothing to laugh at, it's display not having the true tone or wider color gamut isn't something that made me want to sell mine and buy a 9.7" Pro. Sure those features will be amazingly awesome if they put them in it, but as it stands.... the 12.9" iPP is still the king of the iPads IMO.

Kallum.

7. pat500000 macrumors 604

pat500000

Do you even need ipp? When you ask that, I get an impression that you don't need it but want it. I just got mine last week.

8. scotttnz macrumors 6502

I'm trying to decide too. I have been wanting the 12.9" for a while, and am going overseas next week so was planning to grab one duty free, which is a good saving. But now the rumors have started, so I'm not sure what to do. Personally I'd be surprised if is updated this year, I think early next year is more likely, but I'd be pretty annoyed if the update came out a month or 2 after I pulled the trigger.

9. hiddenmarkov macrumors 6502a

Well the 12 inchers were complaining about the 9 inches having better stuff a bit back at 9 in release....

Besides that....the usual. what will you be running to "kill" the current IPP a question to ask. If you look around, many IPP owners are going they aren't killing system resources on them in any way.

BY kill I mean cpu is pegged, ram pegged, and has you going we are going to need a bigger boat.

10. pat500000 macrumors 604

pat500000

It's not even a rumor. It's a false alarm. Shouldn't you be worrying when the leak occurs? Normally we would see a product design or blueprint.

11. TheRealAlex macrumors 65816

Yes it is too late you just missed $125 off $599 Where were you ? That's a lower price than a year ago the Air 2 was at 16GB with none of the Pro goodies

That being said the 9.7 Pro will have as long or a long life like the Air 2 which is almost 2 years before any update is released. Because what else does it need by this time next year ?

A 9.7 Pro is already faster than a New MacBook (the butterfly keyboard one) Which runs full Mac OSX on a Intel Core M 1.1Ghz CPU

12. scotttnz macrumors 6502

That's what I'm thinking. The rumor doesn't seem very credible. And if I'm honest the things that are likely to be updated, aren't all that important to me. I mean, does anyone use a 12.9" tablet as a camera? I almost never use the camera on my Air 2. My Boss approved my quarterly bonus today, so I think my mind is made up :)

13. pat500000 macrumors 604

pat500000

Dude, I'm same boat with you. Camera is 8mp but I don't use iPad for for camera...that's iPhone or whatever. I just got ipp 12.9 last Friday and it's 4gb ram...4!! Lol that's great. It's a big screen and you know what...if they do updates (I doubt it)..it's not much...what? Tone touch or whatever? Lol. I used to be all about trying to stay update but I failed. I'm happy of having what I have and make the best use of it. As long as I can draw or take note or watch movies...it's all good.

If update occurs, we would see some kind of leak...maybe a prototype. Since it is being built in China, there will be someone there who will leak it.

In fall, it's usually iPhone season....and maybe spend another hour in keynote to remind us about Mac OS and iOS 10. It's possible macs will be announced in November.

14. andyw715 macrumors 6502a

Either way I would wait.
    1) see what the update looks like and if it is worth the premium over the old model
    2) old model price drops are more substantial after the new one is announced.

15. dominiongamma macrumors 6502a

dominiongamma

I bought an 9.7 at Best Buy last night online 100 bucks off and I used a college discount another hundred off. I'm paying around 600 tax included for a 128 gb not too bad :). I say go for it!

16. Rok73 macrumors 65816

Rok73

@Barcafan89

Why are you posting about stuff like, "should I buy this or sell that", "should I exchange my iPhone for a Samsung", "is the Apple Watch a waste of money", "I destroyed my Apple Watch", blablabla etc. every other week?

Are you just the most indecisive person ever? There is also a huge button "Buyers Guide" at the top of this site.

17. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

yup. hold on to your hard earned cash. the Pro is ancient these days. complete waste of money.

18. dominiongamma macrumors 6502a

dominiongamma

The buyers guide is not always reliable, there isn't anything wrong asking people's opinions.

19. Jasmynp macrumors 6502

Jasmynp

Get it now. You can get them cheap on swappa. If a new one comes out, you won't lose money. The 12.9 has taken a hit on resale value so there are some good deals out there.

20. xb2003 macrumors 6502

xb2003

This is tough. On one hand, the iPP 12.9 is fairly "old," and is kind of out classed by it's little brother, if you care about the screen and camera. On the other, I don't think there is much chance of a new iPad Pro until spring.

21. Coolpher macrumors regular

Coolpher

And if you don't care about the camera or screen the 12.9 inch is much better get a bigger physical keyboard option more screen resolution you can usually find a really good deal on them right now And with the power it has you're more future proof than ever before

22. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

the pro will be a great device wether a new one is out or not. I wouldn't expect another 9.7 version this year

23. pat500000 macrumors 604

pat500000

24. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

I agree with the others - if you're interested in the 12.9 IPP, I would wait as it's closer to a new release. However, the 9.7 may not come out at the same time. I have the 9.7 and it's awesome. Sometimes with a new release the product might have issues or be a little buggy. I've had no issues with mine. Right now, I'm sitting with my best iPhone ever the 6S Plus and my iPad 9.7 IPP - couldn't be happier.

25. Nevaborn macrumors 65816

Nevaborn

I think it is too early to get one if anything. Wait till September and see if the updated model is true. If it is then the current one which is still a great device will be more discounted should a new model come out.