Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

falcon1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2006
Georgia
I got a 15 inch MBP and some people in my class say that its to small and for what little money it takes I should have gotten the 17 inch because you get a little more screen size and speed in something but what I want to know is should people get a 17 inch or just get a 15 inch if you don't do much with it?

macdaddy121

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2003
Georgia
stick with the 15 inch. the problem with other people is that they are idiots.....just kidding.

If you like your computer, and you do, then keep it, you don't need to spend the 300 more to have something you don't need. Your computer rocks.....be proud of it and don't let others sway your decision. Rock on MBP 15" Rock on

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I don't think the 15" is for people who "don't do much".

To me, it's the sweet spot of the lineup - powerful yet portable.
The 17", to me, is just too big to carry around.

falcon1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2006
Georgia
What i'm saying is that alot of people say if your going to get a 15 inch MBP with the 2.16 GHz processer that you should go ahead and spend the extra money and get the 17 inch because you get 120GB on your hard drive and 8x double layer super drive.

macdaddy121

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2003
Georgia
falcon1 said:
What i'm saying is that alot of people say if your going to get a 15 inch MBP with the 2.16 GHz processer that you should go ahead and spend the extra money and get the 17 inch because you get 120GB on your hard drive and 8x double layer super drive.

But you don't need it....at all....so that would be throwing away your money....and that is not wise....tell them that. And who cares what they say.

interlaced

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2005
if they want you to get a 17" so bad tell them to pitch in the difference. 15" is a great size for something you "don't do much" with.

falcon1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2006
Georgia
Yeah thats what I was telling them. I told them for what we do at school a 15 inch MBP is more than enough and the screen size is perfect. Even the teacher said that the 17 inch would be to big to carry home and to school if you don't leave it at school.

LeeTom

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
It's way too good of a computer if you don't do much with it. You should sell it and get the 13" MacBook.

discoforce

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
Vermont, USA
falcon1 said:

I think you'll find that the difference in size, both pro (bigger screen) and con (weight & size) makes a bigger difference than the size/speed of hard drive and optical drive.

Have you had a chance to pick up a 17 inch? If you haven't, I'd recommend you do so you can compare that way. I agonized over this decision until I finally went to a reseller and found the 17" to be way too big. Others have written on this forum saying the exact opposite.

Then stop listening to these other folks, what a buzz-kill.

MattyMac

macrumors 68000
Oct 6, 2005
NJ/NYC
Dude...

I have a 12 in. powerbook and I think thaaaaaaaaat's fine...the 15 in. will be great.
The 17 in. is gigantically huge...way too big:D IMO

Guitar geek

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2006
New Jersey
Yep, I'd say stick with the 15". I think the 15" MBP looks amazing! The screen is nice and crisp. It's big enough to view your things yet small enough to actually carry around. I say anything larger than 15" is pretty much a smaller desktop. Plus, it is able to handle many of the things the 17" can.

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
The 17" isn't really a portable to me.. it's a desktop replacement. I also carted around a 15" PB for my first year of college, and even that thing was annoying. The 13.3", however, is perfect. Coupled with an external monitor for when I'm at home... :D excellent.

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
It's all about personal preference. Ignore those people... :p I have a 17-inch PowerBook and it does feel too big sometimes. I want a MacBook very badly.

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
To echo what everyone else said, I bought my 17" purely as a transportable desktop. I didn't expect to be carrying it around much. It's not really an everyday carryable laptop although I will have to say the Apple is probably the most portable 17" laptop out there mainly because it's so svelte and you don't notice the weight as much as some other machines. I decided to attack the portability vs working area dillemma from both ends, so have both the 17" MBP and the 13" MB.

The 15" MBP is the ideal compromise between a good working area and portability if you like to get quite a lot done. Any larger and you'd be less mobile.

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
falcon1 said:
Yeah thats what I was telling them. I told them for what we do at school a 15 inch MBP is more than enough and the screen size is perfect. Even the teacher said that the 17 inch would be to big to carry home and to school if you don't leave it at school.

Sounds like you're happy with the 15" - you say the screen size is "perfect" and overall the MBP is more than enough - so don't listen to other people and just enjoy what you've purchased!

glassbathroom

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2004
London
Computers are going to go the same way as portable stereos (bbom boxes) in the 1980's. They are going to stop getting small and start getting bigger and bigger!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.