Is it true that Leopard slow's the MacBook ??

Discussion in 'macOS' started by CooLiSH, Oct 28, 2007.

1. CooLiSH macrumors member

Hello All ..
    I read from other forums from ppl who upgraded their MacBook to Leopard that its slower !!

Is it true ??

:confused:

2. Matek macrumors 6502a

Hmm, I installed Leopard to my Macbook and I'm not noticing any differences. If anything, I'd say its slightly faster in some areas.

3. Captain-Fungi macrumors member

Installed on my MacBook Core Duo and I haven't noticed any slowdown. Other than the initial "Blue Screen" problem I had I am quite pleased with how everything has gone.

There are a few small bugs that I have found but these can easily be fixed in the next round of patches :)

4. seanneko macrumors member

Yes, it does. Search this forum for "sluggish" or "choppy" to read more about it.

5. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

6. Diaresi macrumors regular

(Core Duo MacBook with 2GB RAM)

I did an erase and install first off and Leopard was quick in most senses but animations seemed to be kinda sluggish.

I decided that i'd do the install again but incredibly pedantically...so it was:
    Zero Out HDD
    Erase & Install
    Update
    Restart
    Install iLife '08
    Update
    Restart
    Install iWork '08
    Update
    Restart
    Install MS Office 2004
    Update
    Restart
    Install all my other apps
    Restart

And now I could swear it's running better, although it could be because I went through it like that so i've decided this is the best i'll get for now :p

I also decided not to install the DivX Codec since I heard it could be causing problems (put Perian on instead) and to turn off icon preview in the finder.

I'm not suggesting anyone to do any of the above, but it's made me happier :)

7. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

Office and iWork 08?? :eek:

8. @home macrumors member

I was gonna put Office 2004 into my newly installed Leopard, until I read somewhere that it puts files all over the place & is messy on an Intel Mac, & was best waiting for Office 2008.

Anyone with any opinoins on this?

Have you put Office 2004 in to Leopard?

Have Fun

9. ichii macrumors 6502

ichii

Video Clips play back sluggish for me using cover flow, but plays fine once you open it up. I also didn't like the blue window before getting to the desktop. It seems to take to long, it reminds me of my PC.

10. Wayfarer macrumors 65816

Wayfarer

My friend's macbook is actually much faster, he claims.

11. illitrate23 macrumors 6502

illitrate23

my black MacBook is the initial 2ghz core duo spec and i haven't noticed it performing much slower
    i was trying to preview the new screensaver mosaic picture thing, but i also have my desktop wallpaper changing every 30 seconds and it was getting choppy then - but that was also at the same time as spotlight was indexing the hard disk
    other than that everything seems to be running very smoothly

12. djellison macrumors 68020

1.8 Ghz C2D MB - and Leopard is faster than Tiger was.

Doug

13. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

I installed to a separate HD just so I could test leopard - see below for setup...

[​IMG]

Things feel quicker - Safari really is snappier.

Exposé feels clunky, but then the MacBook never has been great with graphical things, so I am not that bothered. I also think that with spaces I will use Exposé less and less.

Not bothered with time machine yet - I will probably wait until I upgrade/archive install my main drive.

14. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I've got a Rev A. Core Duo MacBook with 2GB of RAM and it's noticeably faster than Tiger all around.

15. iChadTTU macrumors newbie

I have a MacBook and surprisingly mine is a bit faster now. Safari is a lot faster now too. I think you will just have to try it and see. I did and archive and install and it's good for me.

16. iChadTTU macrumors newbie

Office 2004 works on mine just fine. Intel C2D.

17. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Our two MacBooks are doing just fine .. :)
    No sign of any slowdown.

18. Deej macrumors regular

No Macbook concerns here :)

(Or Powerbook concerns, for that matter)

19. kman79 macrumors regular

Nope my 2.4 MacBook Pro is fine, seems snappier actually.

I have not reinstalled Office 2004 yet, I started using NeoOffice more often actually before I reformatted and installed Leopard.

Will look into perian though, thanks for the headsup.

I might do a reinstall also after I figure out which software to keep and which ones to not install.

20. mca7 macrumors member

i installed it on my moms powerbook g4 and while booting up seems to take a bit longer once its up and running it seems a bit faster and more responsive

21. jaybrad macrumors member

Snappy except...

Snappy except for when I minimize a window the Genie effect is sluggish, it might need a driver tweak for the video chip.

Safari and mail faster. Overall very pleased. :)

22. onebloodonelife macrumors regular

My 2.0Ghz, 2GB RAM Macbook is running much, much faster than Tiger ever did. Judging by my page outs, Leopard utilizes the memory better than Tiger as well. I haven't had any trouble with the graphical things, Cover Flow is smoother than it was in Tiger, Expose and Spaces work great, the screensavers that use Core Animation run wonderfully as well.

23. xanatos macrumors regular

It really slow for the first couple of hours, Expose especially.
    I did a erase and install, but I heard it was sluggish because of spotlight indexing or something??
    Now its working pretty fine

24. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

Not to change subjuect, but do you find that laptop stand makes a big difference with heat dispersion?

I think some (not all) of the people saying it's choppy either doesn't have enough RAM or has Spotlight indexing/TimeMachine archiving in the background. That will definitely slow things down.

Don't forget a new OS clean install will always boot faster in the beginning. So it's all so hard to tell.

25. uncleungie macrumors newbie

I'm running a MacBook 2.16 GHz with 2 Gigs of RAM and Leopard runs uniformly faster for me...EXCEPT for the various graphical effects. Minimizing in both genie and scale modes produces significant frame skipping, Expose chokes when fewer windows are opened, and the dashboard also chugs while appearing. These were silky smooth in Tiger.