Is it unrealistic to expect a perfect machine with NO blemishes whatsoever?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mtthwcmn1, Jan 27, 2012.

1. mtthwcmn1 macrumors member

mtthwcmn1

I have never let my MBP off my desk and it has a few tiny tiny scratches on the top. I have OCD so it really bugs me. Is it unrealistic to expect it to stay perfect?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Absolutely unrealistic, as no computer is completely flawless. Just use it and enjoy it. Chances are it will get a few more scratches over the years. After you've owned a few dozen computers, it won't bug you so much.

3. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Yes, I think so. Everything is designed and made by fallible people, including the machines that produce the laptops. Absolute perfection cannot be acheived.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Completely. Every machine is flawed. Mine is perfect to me, but let SandboxGeneral or simsaladimbamba examine it and they'll find flaws. Even straight out of the factory, they are flawed.

5. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Yes, if you don't take care of it. My MBP was absolutely perfect when I got it, and is still nearly perfect now (about 2 years later). It has a couple of scratches here and there. I take my MBP everywhere with me and only has about 4 scratches--one small one on the top and three long light ones on the bottom. Treat your computer nicely and it won't get damaged. The proof is in the pudding.

6. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

Nothing stays perfect.

Look up Impermanence and maybe specifically Buddhism and Impermanence.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

... or just wait to you get older and your vision ain't what it used to be, and you won't see any blemishes at all! :D

8. emac82 macrumors 6502

Nothing in life is perfect, and we should not sweat the small stuff.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, it wasn't. None are.
    If it has scratches, it's not perfect... or even nearly perfect.
    Normal wear and tear, such as scratches, aren't the same as damage.
    Yeah, that pudding isn't perfect, either!! :D

10. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

You really know how to pick a person apart, don't you? :rolleyes: :D

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What can I say? I'm not perfect, either! :D

12. Nielsenius macrumors 6502a

I used to be obsessed with keeping every Apple product I owned in perfect condition. I bought cases for everything and the tiniest scratch was like a stab in the heart. One day I came to realize that nothing stays in perfect condition and that I might as well let go of my ridged mindset. Now, none of my Apple stuff has a case and I can admire the beauty of the product. I still take good care of all of it, I just let go of the idea that I needed these things to be in perfect condition. Believe me, it's better this way.

13. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

I used to be the same way. I had skins on all of my Apple products, but I just strayed from that. I don't drop stuff, which is why I don't use cases. However, I still keep a skin on my 3GS because scratched polycarbonate just feels horrible to the touch. Believe me, I know. My old MacBook's original shiny surface is destroyed.

14. iforbes macrumors 6502

15. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Take a knife and cut a nice long scratch on the bottom cover.

Now whenever you see the top scratches, just flip your computer over and you won't feel that bad anymore about those top scratches. You'll just want to kill me instead for offering this kind of advice.

16. Woojun912 macrumors member

You sound like a virgo cos I'm a virgo ;p

17. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

I guess I would ask what your idea of perfection is? My MBP has zero scratches, dings, dents, bad pixels, or anything else. I take it with me but I'm very careful with it. The keys show wear (they are shiny) so I would consider it a flaw but something that is replaceable. I can buy new keys.

I had a 2009 MBP that also has zero scratches, dings, dents, bad pixels, etc... The keys were shiny. The guy who bought it from me marveled that it looked brand new.

I'm not bragging or trying to give anyone a hard time. However, I take very good care of my stuff so that in the future I can get a good resale value out of it. I don't drink near it, I don't let people borrow it, and I use a very good notebook bag.

I expect not to have any dings or dents or scratches. Now if I got one I would not run out and buy a new case. Yet, I believe that if i am care I can avoid damage like this.

Looking around at my colleagues I also see many machines that are like mine so I do not consider myself OCD. I also see others that look like they are tv trays for them. :)

To each his/her own. I take great joy in my MBP so I just try to be extra careful with it.

Cheers!
    -P

18. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Nope. Aquarius! :p

19. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

Are you kidding me? This would RUIN one of my good knives, and I hate when they get scratched! :p

20. Wafflausages macrumors 6502

4 scratches WILL NOT DO! throw it out and buy a new one

21. Woojun912 macrumors member

Oh nice :D

22. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

It is a tool. Tools are meant to be used, not babied.

23. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Blemishes are usually an 80/20 problem anyway.

24. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you look hard enough, you'll see some imperfection on any man made product. That said, Macs are usually quite well made and its difficult to see any thing that you could quantify as a defect