Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mtthwcmn1

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 9, 2011
I have never let my MBP off my desk and it has a few tiny tiny scratches on the top. I have OCD so it really bugs me. Is it unrealistic to expect it to stay perfect?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I have never let my MBP off my desk and it has a few tiny tiny scratches on the top. I have OCD so it really bugs me. Is it unrealistic to expect it to stay perfect?
Absolutely unrealistic, as no computer is completely flawless. Just use it and enjoy it. Chances are it will get a few more scratches over the years. After you've owned a few dozen computers, it won't bug you so much.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Yes, I think so. Everything is designed and made by fallible people, including the machines that produce the laptops. Absolute perfection cannot be acheived.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Completely. Every machine is flawed. Mine is perfect to me, but let SandboxGeneral or simsaladimbamba examine it and they'll find flaws. Even straight out of the factory, they are flawed.

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
Yes, if you don't take care of it. My MBP was absolutely perfect when I got it, and is still nearly perfect now (about 2 years later). It has a couple of scratches here and there. I take my MBP everywhere with me and only has about 4 scratches--one small one on the top and three long light ones on the bottom. Treat your computer nicely and it won't get damaged. The proof is in the pudding.

MaxBurn

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2010
Nothing stays perfect.

Look up Impermanence and maybe specifically Buddhism and Impermanence.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Completely. Every machine is flawed. Mine is perfect to me, but let SandboxGeneral or simsaladimbamba examine it and they'll find flaws. Even straight out of the factory, they are flawed.
... or just wait to you get older and your vision ain't what it used to be, and you won't see any blemishes at all! :D

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
My MBP was absolutely perfect when I got it
No, it wasn't. None are.
and is still nearly perfect now (about 2 years later). It has a couple of scratches here and there. I take my MBP everywhere with me and only has about 4 scratches--one small one on the top and three long light ones on the bottom.
If it has scratches, it's not perfect... or even nearly perfect.
Treat your computer nicely and it won't get damaged.
Normal wear and tear, such as scratches, aren't the same as damage.
The proof is in the pudding.
Yeah, that pudding isn't perfect, either!! :D

Nielsenius

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2011
Virginia
I used to be obsessed with keeping every Apple product I owned in perfect condition. I bought cases for everything and the tiniest scratch was like a stab in the heart. One day I came to realize that nothing stays in perfect condition and that I might as well let go of my ridged mindset. Now, none of my Apple stuff has a case and I can admire the beauty of the product. I still take good care of all of it, I just let go of the idea that I needed these things to be in perfect condition. Believe me, it's better this way.

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
I used to be obsessed with keeping every Apple product I owned in perfect condition. I bought cases for everything and the tiniest scratch was like a stab in the heart. One day I came to realize that nothing stays in perfect condition and that I might as well let go of my ridged mindset. Now, none of my Apple stuff has a case and I can admire the beauty of the product. I still take good care of all of it, I just let go of the idea that I needed these things to be in perfect condition. Believe me, it's better this way.

I used to be the same way. I had skins on all of my Apple products, but I just strayed from that. I don't drop stuff, which is why I don't use cases. However, I still keep a skin on my 3GS because scratched polycarbonate just feels horrible to the touch. Believe me, I know. My old MacBook's original shiny surface is destroyed.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Take a knife and cut a nice long scratch on the bottom cover.

Now whenever you see the top scratches, just flip your computer over and you won't feel that bad anymore about those top scratches. You'll just want to kill me instead for offering this kind of advice.

Pentad

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2003
Indiana
I guess I would ask what your idea of perfection is? My MBP has zero scratches, dings, dents, bad pixels, or anything else. I take it with me but I'm very careful with it. The keys show wear (they are shiny) so I would consider it a flaw but something that is replaceable. I can buy new keys.

I had a 2009 MBP that also has zero scratches, dings, dents, bad pixels, etc... The keys were shiny. The guy who bought it from me marveled that it looked brand new.

I'm not bragging or trying to give anyone a hard time. However, I take very good care of my stuff so that in the future I can get a good resale value out of it. I don't drink near it, I don't let people borrow it, and I use a very good notebook bag.

I expect not to have any dings or dents or scratches. Now if I got one I would not run out and buy a new case. Yet, I believe that if i am care I can avoid damage like this.

Looking around at my colleagues I also see many machines that are like mine so I do not consider myself OCD. I also see others that look like they are tv trays for them. :)

To each his/her own. I take great joy in my MBP so I just try to be extra careful with it.

Cheers!
-P

Rampant.A.I.

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2009
Take a knife and cut a nice long scratch on the bottom cover.

Now whenever you see the top scratches, just flip your computer over and you won't feel that bad anymore about those top scratches. You'll just want to kill me instead for offering this kind of advice.

Are you kidding me? This would RUIN one of my good knives, and I hate when they get scratched! :p

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If you look hard enough, you'll see some imperfection on any man made product. That said, Macs are usually quite well made and its difficult to see any thing that you could quantify as a defect

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.