Is it worth getting an iPad 1?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Bez59, Sep 9, 2012.

1. Bez59 macrumors regular

I have been wanting an iPad since they first came out but never got one as its more want than need.

I have a MacBook pro for use at home and an iPhone for when i am out so i'm not really sure if i would use an iPad that much.

I have been thinking of getting a 1st gen to see if i use it much as i don't want to spend loads on a 3rd gen for it to sit there doing nothing.

If i use it a lot i will probably get a 3rd gen or maybe 4th gen or a mini depending when i decide to upgrade if i do.

My question is do you think its worth getting one to browse the web, check emails and play games?

I wouldn't be using it for work or school or anything and i don't think it would leave the house except when i go on holiday.

I understand everybody's needs are different but is there anyone who only uses an iPad for web, email and games and is glad they got one?

2. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Couldn't you just keep using your MacBook Pro? That's what I would do if the iPad was never going to leave the house.

3. Rodster macrumors 68040

If you want to try an iPad, get one from Target. You have like 45 days to return it if you don't like it. I wouldn't get a 1st gen iPad as iOS 5 puts a strain on the limited amount of memory in the iPad 1.

4. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

I'm increasingly using mine for school-related purposes, but as of now I'm primarily using my 3rd generation iPad for the reasons you've listed. In my case the iPad was a gift, though. If you can comfortably afford it, then sure, why not? If it's a bit of a stretch, then I don't think it's worth it.

One other thought... isn't the iPad 1's hardware much less powerful than the iPad 2 and 3? That would be fine for web browsing and email, but if you're thinking about using it for games, stretching a bit farther may be worthwhile.

The iPad is a nice and useful device. However, I'm the type of person who is OK with carrying my computer around nearly everywhere. If I had to give up my iPad tomorrow, I doubt that I would miss it too much. It strikes me as being more of a novelty device, although I'm sure there are some people who benefit greatly from it over a standard laptop.

5. Medic311 macrumors 68000

Medic311

i used to have the opinion that an iPad was useless.
    when the iPad 3 retina came out, the iPad 2 refurbs dropped to $319. i figured i would give it a try and if i don't like it i can return it on the 14th day.

after owning one for 5 months, i will say it's a great device. despite already owning a laptop, i leave my laptop on my desk. my iPad is now my mobile computing device.

6. Bez59 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah that's what makes me think I don't need one and it wouldn't get much use.

But it would be nice to have an iPad to use when my wife is using the MacBook instead of using my iPhone.

I imagine web browsing is much better on an iPad than an iPhone.

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

No. I have the iPad 1 and it's fine for what I need (kitchen use) but I would get a refurbished 2 instead.

8. Bez59 thread starter macrumors regular

That's a good point I remember having that problem when I had a 2nd gen iPod touch.

My reason for the 1st gen was so I don't spend too much on it as I feel if I was going to spend more I may as well get a 3rd gen. Or wait for the mini if it happens.

It's my birthday soon maybe if I'm good my wife will buy me one. :D

----------

Do you play any games on it?

9. windowpain macrumors 6502a

I have an ipad 1 and love it..but you would be crazy not to get at least the ipad 2. There is a night and day difference between them, even for things like browsing and checking email, the extra speed is very noticeable.
    The ipad 1 can be a bit frustrating at times.

I would either wait 3 days to see what is released or pick up a (refurb?) ipad 2.

10. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

Wait for iPad mini next month.

11. Bez59 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the advice.

I don't think I will bother with the 1st gen.

Apart from the screen is there much difference between the 2nd and 3rd gen?

12. tann macrumors 68000

3rd gen is slightly thicker and heavier. The battery is ever so slightly worse as well, but screen off it seems to last forever (playing music etc!). :)

13. gadget123 macrumors 68000

I think the Ipad 2 should have been the first Ipad really..

The Ipad 1 was just testing the water and it was a hit..I liked it at the time but the thinner Ipad 2 and camera makes daily use so much better. Plus I'm sure Ipad 1 won't get IOS6.

I would definitely recommend the Ipad 2 and Iphone 4 if people can't afford a 4S/Ipad 3rd gen. Very little difference.

No doubt there will be bigger changes with Ipad 4th gen and obviously Iphone 5.

14. WashupDawg macrumors regular

If you don't know whether you need an iPad, you don't need one.

In fact, I'd say that it's only 1 in 100 that actually needs one.

15. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

No, the ipad 1 is honestly awful. Its underpowered, doesn't have enough ram (not even close) and is now no longer supported. Your better off with a nexus 7 if you don't wanna spend alot. I actually like my nexus 7 better than the new ipad and my ipad 2 I have from work.

16. jamied95 macrumors 6502

At this point, it'd be bonkers to buy iPad 1, I've got one and know various other people who do and it's so slow it's unusable, I'll only use it now as a very last resort, when everything else has run out of battery...

17. stuaz macrumors 6502

Yeah I wouldn't get an iPad 1 - I have one myself and its showing its age with the later Apps. Not to mention that iOS 6 will not be supported on it, which is Apples way of saying its obsolete.

I myself am looking to see what the iPad Mini brings - if its £250 with a retina screen then I will be getting one of them to replace my iPad 1.

18. poloponies macrumors 68030

Nobody "needs" an iPad but I'd say that considerably more than "1 in 100" find indispensable uses once they get one. I have a consultant that I deal with who is a woman in her 70's. She logs a lot of air miles and was telling me how the iPad has been an essential tool for her in business because she can now forego paper copies of nearly everything and doesn't need to lug a laptop around anymore. She's become quite adept at marking up pdfs on the iPad and it's been worth every penny of its purchase price for her. Just one anecdote, but I work with a lot of people who have iPads and have found a very useful place for them in their business lives.

19. AT101ET macrumors 6502

I wouldn't recommend it as Apps will stop being developed for it and it will become too slow for the updates, and besides a nexus 7 is cheaper and a title contender with the new iPad, so why not get that?

20. Bez59 thread starter macrumors regular

I did think about a nexus 7 but i have brought quite a lot of apps in the 4 years i have been using ios devices that i would use on an ipad.

I also feel an ipad would work well in a MacBook-iPad-iPhone setup.

21. AT101ET macrumors 6502

[/QUOTE]I also feel an ipad would work well in a MacBook-iPad-iPhone setup.[/QUOTE]

Well if thats what you are looking for, I'd recommend to wait for the apple event. They may release a good new cheaper version. If not, when they do release one, I think the 2 will depreciate and anyway its not that much more expensive than the 1st gen. If so, I'd recommend that.

22. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

Many apps on android are free while their ios version costs money. The nexus 7 is absolutely worth the money. Heck it would still be worth it even at a hundred dollars more.

23. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

I'd say unless it was very, very cheap, don't consider anything other than A5 based iPad models, so the iPad2, the "new" iPad (i.e., retina) and if the rumors play out, the new iPad Mini/Air/Junior.

We have 1st gen iPad and after using my 3rd gen, there's a big difference is speed/latency (things like browser draw-in) , due to the faster CPU and larger RAM (and ignoring the difference in the display).

I'd definitely wait and see what pans out in the next few months: revised new iPad, Mini, etc.

24. akira2501 macrumors regular

No

The clarity in the screen really makes a difference. Just shell out the extra bucks and get something that you'll keep a long time. Get the 3. The new iPad. Just buy a refurb from apple. The screen is night and day, and yea I've owned them all so this is first hand experience.

25. dwburnell macrumors regular

I had a first gen iPad and gave it to the wife once the new one came out (i had to have that retina display :D) but she uses it for basic web browsing, a couple low end games, and for reading. I agree with a lot of people above though, might as well get a refurbished iPad 2 unless you could find an iPad 1 online for super cheap.