Is it worth getting an iPad 2 or should I wait?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Sven11, Dec 28, 2011.

  1. Sven11 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 25, 2010
    #1
    Currently I have a first generation iPad WiFi+3G with 64GB. I also have an iPhone 4S with 64GB. (both with iOS 5.0.1)

    Unfortunately my iPad is relatively slow. For example it takes 4-5 seconds to open iBooks and the internet seems to be much slower than on my iPhone. It also crashes quite often, because it runs out of memory.

    Do you think I should wait for the third generation iPad or should I buy an iPad 2?

    I think I can wait until February 24th... or what do you think?
     
  2. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

    Mac'nCheese

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2010
    #2
    Sounds like you can easily wait, even if Feb 24th isn't the true date and its a month or two after that. Its funny how spoiled we get...think about the tech a decade ago and now we hate that its takes 5 seconds to open a program on a handheld device that might not even have worked at all on your home computer. The crashing sucks, of course, but still, you can make it...
     
  3. Liquinn Suspended

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2011
    #3
    I'm going to wait and see what it brings.

    Retina display would be nice but it all depends if it has that I guess.
     
  4. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2009
    #4
    I've got a first generation iPad and I'm also waiting for the iPad 3. No way I'm going to pay another $729 just because Apple screws up with their software and only the next-gen iPad offers a bloody fast user experience.
     
  5. tktaylor1, Dec 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2011

    tktaylor1 macrumors 6502a

    tktaylor1

    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2010
    Location:
    Nashville, TN
  6. hcho3 macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    May 13, 2010
    #7
    If you don't need retina display, buy now.

    If you want retina display, wait.
     
  7. Infrared1 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 28, 2011
    #8
    No one's positive it is going to be equipped with a retina display. Nothing has been confirmed yet, so OP's question will remain unanswered, however I can adequately say if you want one now, get it. If you have the ability to wait whenever the release is, go ahead and wait.:)
     
  8. torbjoern macrumors 65816

    torbjoern

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2009
    Location:
    The Black Lodge
    #9
    If you NEED a new iPad NOW, then buy it now. Also, if you can afford to buy an iPad 2 and then sell it to buy the iPad 3, then you can buy it right away.

    There are no guarantees for when the next one will come out, nor can we know for sure what features it will have. I suppose it's the anticipated retina display which keeps you holding back?
     
  9. vitzr macrumors 68030

    vitzr

    Joined:
    Jul 28, 2011
    Location:
    California
    #10
    Wait. You can always buy an iPad 2 if the next one doesn't look good for your needs.
     
  10. zygomatic macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2012
    #11
    Well, You could wait till early February, then buy the ipad 2, then if the ipad 3 comes out, either the price of the ipad 2 will go down a lot or the ipad 3 will be worth it. So you could return the ipad 2 (within 30 days) and get the cheaper ipad 2 or the ipad 3.
     
  11. LeeM macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 1, 2012
    #12
    Try a backup and restore on the iPad? If you already have one I'd fully wait, even if it's just to get an iPad 2 for less
     
  12. MacBH928 macrumors 68020

    MacBH928

    Joined:
    May 17, 2008
    #13
    I think the next ipad 3 wont be out until June, but thats only what I think.

    You can always buy ipad2 and sell it , add the price difference to buy an ipad 3. Truth to be told, there is not much of a jump between ipad 2 and original ipad, so you might as well wait.
     
  13. chkenwing macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2010
    #14
    I've just bought one today. I'm taking complete advantage of the exchange rate of Hong Kong dollars to British pounds as it cost me £357 for the 32GB wifi model.

    My other reasoning is when it does come out

    1. There will be a shortage of supply, especially in Hong Kong. No doubt if it gets released in Hong Kong first, all the China people will buy like 100s of them to take back to China to sell (This happened with the 4S. Even the 16GB model was going for £150-£200 over the RRP!)
    2. I prefer to wait for a product before buying it to work out all the kinks.
    3. I'll eventually sell my iPad 2 once all the above have all smoothened out (I'll also sell it when I go back to the UK as by then I'll probably still be able to get £280-£300 for it)
     
  14. calb macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2009
    Location:
    UK
    #15
    Don't be too concerned about opening iBooks; my iPad 2 initially shows a blank shelf upon launching the app, and it only started occurring after the latest feature update.

    The longer you can wait, the better. Either you'll buy the new iPad because you want its new features, or you buy the iPad 2 at a significantly lower price. So whether you buy the iPad 2 or 3, you'll benefit from waiting a little while longer.
     
  15. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2009
    #16
    Just wait, no point in dropping $500+ on something that will be outdated in a couple of months.
     
  16. LeeM macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 1, 2012
    #17
    But the new one will be outdated a 6 months later when rumours of iPad 4 start circulating. You can't really win :eek:
     
  17. MacBH928 macrumors 68020

    MacBH928

    Joined:
    May 17, 2008
    #18
    The idea is to wait once a new device is about to be released(3months or less) or to wait if you know that a totally new model is about to come out(3gs->iphone4)
     
  18. vixducis macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2010
    Location:
    Belgium
    #19
    You should wait. There's a lot of chance apple won't discontinue the ipad2, but rather give it a price drop. If the new features of the iPad3 aren't appealing enough for you, you could just go with the cheaper iPad2.
     
  19. LeeM macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 1, 2012
    #20
    No ones knows if a new one is going to be released. Just rumours so far
     
  20. shoppy macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2007
    Location:
    Hants
    #21
    I just brought 64gb 3g today, because I like it and I'll get an iPad 3 or whatever when it comes out. I'll still enjoy my iPad 1 but my iPad 2 is great.
     
  21. imeth macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2011

Share This Page