is it worth getting apple care for the iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cinek, Jun 25, 2011.

1. cinek macrumors 6502

I think my apple care ran out yesterday or today... is it worth renewing it? Did anyone here do it?

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I personally wouldn't buy it for an iPhone (though if I had bought it, I would have a 3GS that works properly ... But that is a different story).

Nevermind that, I should preface by telling you that if the warranty has already run out on your phone, you cannot extend it.

3. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

When I bought my iPhone 4 at an AT&T store it came with a free case (any case) and 2 screen protectors so it was a no brainer as the case I was going to buy was almost the cost of the AppleCare.

4. iBaloney macrumors 6502

iBaloney

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

If you are going to be sticking with your iPhone for at least 2 years I think it's a good idea to invest in. Afterall, the iPhone is - just like any other device, is susceptible to unexpected malfunctions.

5. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

There is an actual law that states that when you are purchasing a device (like the iPhone), you are expecting the investment to last a reasonable amount of time. (A few years) And technically Apple would have to fix your phone for you if anything went wrong during the second year of having it. AppleCare is sorta just a scam.

Google it if you don't believe me. :)

6. adwebinc macrumors member

It's easy to say no to AC on iPhone because the price of the phone is so heavily subsidized in the US. However, you are talking about a $600+ electronic device. Although in some cases Apple has worked with me to replace a phone at a "discounted rate" even when I was not eligible for upgrade pricing, I think it's worth the small investment.

7. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

There are 3 reasons to purchase Apple Care for the iPhone.

1. If you are a rough user and drop your phone a lot or get into all sorts of physically rough situations.

2. If you are an iPhone idiot (no offense here, but it beats paying for the iPhone for idiots book), you can call Apple Care's number non-stop to ask them questions about the phone.

3. If you think that you want to extend the warranty for an additional 2 years just so you are covered, that's also a reason but you can get other insurance to cover the iPhone.

8. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

If you're past your normal warranty time, you will not be able to get AppleCare. When I went in and got mine last weekend, they verified I was still under warranty and told me that if I was even 1 day outside of it there was nothing they could do.
    So if it ends today, you might want to get it now.

9. 03jcrhr macrumors member

I dont think it is worth it. You are paying £60 and you only get an additional year. Most phone contracts are 2 years and I think the chances of it breaking are extremely low and that if it does go wrong it will be in the last few months which you can just wait for and use an old phone as a replacement until the contract expires.

10. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

To clarify a few things:

This is incorrect. If your iPhone has dings, cracks or major scratches Apple will not replace your phone. They may, but they are not required to, and more often than not will not. At that point it is a customer service decision, not a warranty one. Accidental damage which is not covered by a warranty. Remember that Apple Care is not insurance, it is an extended warranty. It covers defects from normal use, but accidental damage trumps all and you're out of luck with or without it.

I suppose that's true, but since the support you on these boards is better and faster than phone support, seems a waste. :)

In general, I purchase Apple Care for all of my computers and none of my mobile devices (iPhone and iPad). The one year warranty is plenty, especially considering the new version will likely come out within that time, and if the warranty has expired and you need a new iPhone, you will have also passed the time needed for AT&T or Verizon to subsidize the cost of a new one.

In short: no.

(And as others have said, Apple will not add Apple Care to your device if the original warranty has expired.)

11. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I was one day late, I called the AppleCare agreement number and didn't have any problems adding the coverage.
    You just have to know who to talk to.

I buy AppleCare to make it easier to sell my iPhone. It assures the buyer that they aren't buying a ticking time bomb.