Is it worth it to buy the new ipod touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by michael31986, Oct 15, 2011.

1. michael31986 macrumors 68040

i have the 3rd generation ipod touch and it still works great,but i really wanted the white one and im assuming the new ipod touch might be faster. and of course the clearer resolution artwork!

2. applefan289 macrumors 68000

The current iPod Touch hardware is exactly the same as the previous-gen hardware. The only thing that changed since the Keynote is a new color added (white).

That said, I think the iPod Touch is worth it if you're not getting an iPhone.

3. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68040

oh ok! but i have the 3rd generation so the 4th generation must have had something different. my ipod touch is at least two years old now!

4. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

4th gen has the cameras and has a better processor (I think). It's thinner, too.

5. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

iPod Touch 4th gen has retina display (960x640 resolution), that alone is worth upgrading. Apart from that it has 1GHz Apple A4 processor, two cameras and body is thinner.

6. Tech Elementz macrumors 6502

Here are the bad details:

1. The A4 Chip is underclocked to 800 MHZ to avoid overheating.
    2. The back camera can record 720P HD Video @ 30 FPS; but takes bad pictures because of the quality of the Camera Sensor (The MP is less than 1)
    3. The display does not have IPS technology unlike the iPhone 4 and above (This makes the display more presentable at different angles.)
    4. It only has 256 MB of RAM.

Therefore, you should wait for the iPod Touch 5th Generation to come out next year. You'll be much happier.

7. Invincibilizer macrumors 6502a

Invincibilizer

Agreed^

Picture is horrible, HD video is actually sharp despite the 1MP camera.

If you can wait, then go ahead and wait. I waited for 6months and 4G didn't change. Did not want to wait any longer so I got mine.
    There is no guarantee a touch next year would have an update next year so you will be taking a risk by waiting.

8. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68040

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I had a 3G but it seemed so slow an the screen is sharp. I have an iPhone 4 but my touch is use for music! So I figured upgrade now especially since white is out. And I honestly don't use it for gaming much just music so I just needed it for retina screen and faster!

9. Brucewl macrumors 6502

Brucewl

If you just need to listen to the music, I think you can get an ipod classic or ipod nano, because the quality of sound from classic or ipod is much better than iPod Touch.

10. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I'd wait for the next gen... When Apple puts new hardware features in (eg: Camera in the iPod Touch) they often purposely make it not-as-good-as-it-could-be-so-you'll-buy-the-next-gen-that-has-an-amazing-camera ;)

11. redshift1 macrumors regular

I've heard the classic has the better SQ from various sources but is it that much better than the touch? Seems like it might be a matter of preference. My own feeling is the earphones provide the greatest range of music improvement for the ipod family of mp3 players. Even Head-fi users debate the topic without coming to agreement over which ipod has the best SQ.

Lately the ipod 5th generation 30 GB model (about five years old) with the Wolfson chip is the flavor of the day for best SQ.

One thing about the Touch is the apps for equalizers supposedly offer the choice of modifying the SQ. EQ offers a cool interface with easy adjustments, seems to be a popular app.

12. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Depends how fussy you are when listening to music. My crappy Samsung seems great to me, but its probably awful to 'more sensitive ears' :rolleyes:

13. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68040

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I listen to iPod touch mainly through the dock and reason why don't like classic anymore is cause of the hd and I love big album art on the touch !

14. karma13612 macrumors member

thanks for this info!

Since the media event a short while ago, realizing that iPod Touch was not getting a refresh (except color), I was then in a pickle deciding if I was going to take the plunge and get my first iPodTouch or the iPhone 4S.

I was all set to get the iPod Touch but since no upgrade, I felt it was not as desirable. I am not interested in the phone in the iPhone, but have been thinking the iPhone has gotten an upgrade that makes it seem more desirable. I plan on using whatever device I get for

1. Music listening
    2. Accessing Pandora when I have free internet like at work
    3. Keeping organized without having to lug my iPad everywhere I go.

So, the iPod classic is not an option.
    And the iPad Gen 1 I have is too big for practical use at work.

I am trying to find out what the opinion is between the iPhone and the iPod Touch as far as SQ.

Anyone have an experience with that comparison? I will certainly take advantage of the EQ app that you mention in your comment.

thanks...

15. sracer macrumors 604

sracer

From a sound quality perspective, they're virtually identical... at least as far as I've been able to tell with my diverse music collection.

16. karma13612 macrumors member

thank you sooo much!

17. redshift1 macrumors regular

Second that, both have Cirrus Logic chips that are reportedly similar.

18. Brucewl macrumors 6502

Brucewl

Well, after those discussions, I think you should get the newest iPod Touch, and I believe that you had made such decision in the beginning.:D

19. karma13612 macrumors member

very astute on your part!
    Yes indeed...

thanks again to all!!

20. thunderboltmac macrumors member

thunderboltmac

I honestly don't think you should get the current iPod Touch as you have the previous generation and I think you should wait for a next generation model, as the current model has been out for quite some time now. ::cool:

21. jedivulcan macrumors 6502

My gut tells me that a new iPod Touch is around the corner. Maybe not before the holiday buying season but within the next three to four months.

The iPhone 4S came about four months past the usual iPhone hardware refresh timeframe (June) and I am assuming that the timeframe for a new iPod Touch has been pushed back a few months because of it.

I don't think a lot of application developers will start developing A5 chip specific gaming experiences until there is an entry level device out there that requires no contract. There are some games coming out that have A5 specific features but they're games from developers that have a lot of notoriety (Grand Theft Auto III, Infinity Blade II, Real Racing, etc).

I think Apple has an opportunity to come out with an A5 powered iPod Touch in first half of 2012 and uncut Sony and their Playstation Vita.

22. dlimes13 macrumors 6502a

dlimes13

Get a used 4th generation still under warranty for like $130-$140 (8GB) or less, then have AppleCare replace it and there you go, new iPod Touch.

23. spartanx54 macrumors newbie

New ipod touch isn't worth it.....Guys just buy a fricking iphone 4S for christ's sakes.

24. karma13612 macrumors member

wow, seems like you are getting way too upset for a forum. I could see if you were having this conversation with family members, but these are forum members that you most likely don't know. we are just discussing the pros and cons.

For me, it isn't as simple as that. I don't need the phone part of the iPhone. And the cost differential is huge. I am disappointed that the iPod Touch has not gotten an upgrade, and I don't feel like getting 'old technology' so instead of easily following thru with my original plan of buying the rumored new iPod Touch, I am now having to choose between an expensive-more-than-I-needed-or-wanted-iPhone, and the "oh-look-it-comes-in-White-and-I-fooled-you-into-thinking-it's-a-new-iPod Touch".

maybe need to cool your jets just a tad...