Is it worth it to upgrade?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CoriG, Oct 5, 2011.

1. CoriG macrumors 6502

Just curious of how many iphone 4 owners are going to upgrade to iphone 4s or are you going to wait to see what comes out next year?

Do you think it is worth it to upgrade and lose the option to upgrade to an iphone 5 or 6 with a new exterior and potentially 4G?

2. tooshaggy macrumors regular

tooshaggy

IMHO it is only worth it if you think siri is worth it. I'm waiting til next year, unless I see that my wife's phone with siri is worth it! She is upgrading and I'm not planning to. I have a 4 and she has a 3!

3. jplusc macrumors 6502a

I have been debating it. I am upgrade eligible in November and I think I am going to go for it. I have been waiting for speech to text for a while (not Siri). Additionally I enjoy using my iPad 2 with the A5. While I was hoping for more it will get me by until next year. I have a kid on the way so I am sure I will take advantage of the upgraded camera as well.

4. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Is it worth it to upgrade from iPhone 4 to iPhone 4s? No.

Apple is freaking genius. They know most of us are not eligible for an upgrade anyway from last year. So, they just designed the iPhone 4S that will just make iPhone 4 look outdated, but it isn't so far advanced from iPhone 4.

Apple knows that less people will be spending, so they focus on availability and pricing. Now, apple has more carriers and more affordable devices.

They are just geniuses.

5. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I'm upgrading, because i have a 3GS. I don't care if a new one comes out in summer. At some point, you just don't care and you want to enjoy whatever is out there.

That's me right now.

6. AIP5 macrumors 6502a

Personally, I wouldn't upgrade if I had a 4. I've had the Siri app for around 2 years on my 3GS, and it gets boring really fast. And also, talking to your iPhone just sounds really cool for the first few months, but after a while, in normal working conditions and such, you just don't start talking to your iPhone.

Apart from the integration that Siri Assistant offers with 4S, it is EXACTLY the same as the Siri App. All Apple did was integrate it with the iOS. (Which kind of makes me mad, because they certainly took a long time to integrate the app into the iOS).

As for the speed... I think my 3GS is adequate in terms of processing power and speed. So I would definitely be very comfortable with the 4's speed and RAM. I guess the only real reason for upgrading to the 4S is the camera. But isn't the 4's 5MP camera simply amazing?

So all in all, I wouldn't upgrade to the 4S if I had a 4 because I see no real reason to. Unless you really crave for a speed bump and 1080p video recording, and talking to your iPhone.

7. CoriG thread starter macrumors 6502

Can you even get Siri on an iphone 4 anymore?

8. AIP5 macrumors 6502a

I believe it was taken off of the App store when Apple bought it. But I'm not sure on that. I haven't seen any "Updates" for it in over a year in the App Store though.

Currently, Apple is going to disable Siri on all iPhones once the 4S comes out so that they can at least differentiate the 4S from the 4. Personally, I'm not happy with this at all. Why disable an app for people who already have it? Seems unfair really.

9. trssho macrumors 6502

I really enjoy taking photos with my iPhone, and the upgrades in that department make it worth it for me. Also, the speed of my iPad 2 compared to the iPhone 4 is significant, so I look forward to the faster processor.

10. miamihacker macrumors regular

I wasn't really going to upgrade but my friend has an upgrade and hes selling it to me so yeah :D

11. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

As a 4 owner, hell no. When connected to Wifi the 4 was plenty fast for me.

Come back next year when the redesign hits and you'll see the 4 owners who upgraded to the 4S bitching about how evil ATT or Verizon is for not allowing them to upgrade. Blowing their chest out threatening to pay the ETF!

12. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

If you have the 4 no point

It only makes sense fi those who's 3GS is on it's last legs

13. Pravius macrumors regular

We all know, as technical people who follow and enjoy Apple products have probably had the "bug" to upgrade. For me personally it is not worth the upgrade to the 4S from the 4.

Siri does look pretty cool and the only time i can really see using it, is when i am driving or in a position where I am unable to type. I could see this upgrade worth it for people who are always driving or people who just have money to blow, and if that's the case then have fun.

Personally I will stick with the 4 as long as I can, then switch to whatever is out when mine is ready to be upgraded.

Just my .2

14. volntitan macrumors 6502

I got my Iphone 4 August of last year and AT&T says I am eligible for the upgrade. The biggest reason I am considering it is because the trade in value for my 4 would make the 4s "free". I would be concerned that by the time the next generation came out, the value wouldn't be as good. If AT&T lets you do the "discounted upgrade" a year into your contract, I can just trade my 4s for a 5, if that makes sense.

Thoughts?

15. mkaen macrumors regular

It's very telling that even after I got a 4S, the only reason I wanted to keep it was because it's white, and you couldn't get a white 4 at launch last year.

I've since returned the 4S and gone happily back to the 4.

16. dthmtlgod macrumors 6502

I was not eliglbe for the full upgrade, buy my iPhone 4 had an issue with the home button not working all the time. Worked better with an OtterBox case on it, but the case is too bulky. I decided to wait and not order one, but went to the Apple Store on Friday, no lines, asked to look at them and bought one. Went home and put my IP4 on CL and it was sold (with the bad home) button for $300.00 in less than 30 minutes. The speed, camera, SIRI make it a worthwhile upgrade for me.

17. notjustgc macrumors 6502

notjustgc

BGR just posted a pretty nice review of the 4S. Not too fine-grained; I think they go into just enough detail without dragging on into the minutia. Might be helpful in making the decision to upgrade or not.

18. iPhoneNewbie23 macrumors newbie

After having used Siri on 4S a little, I wouldn't recommend upgrading to 4S for using Siri, faster processor and better camera. Siri gets old really quickly and it is limited in what it can really do for you. I can't see doling out the big bucks to upgrade from iOS 5-running 4 to 4S. Just my opinion. But not having had an iPhone before, 4S is great. Absolutely no regrets.