Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rmoliv

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 20, 2017
Other than tell the time on my wrist I don't see much logic to having one of these watches plus there's one downside to it which is having to charge it every night unlike a regular watch. Can one access and listen to music from the watch rather than from the iPhone? On the one hand I could buy one just to say I have an Apple Watch but on the other I could spend the money elsewhere. What do you use yours for? I'm undecided.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Other than tell the time on my wrist I don't see much logic to having one of these watches plus there's one downside to it which is having to charge it every night unlike a regular watch. Can one access and listen to music from the watch rather than from the iPhone? On the one hand I could buy one just to say I have an Apple Watch but on the other I could spend the money elsewhere. What do you use yours for? I'm undecided.

The Only way you're going to be convinced if you actually experience the Apple Watch, as your mindset seems to be you're not really interested. The Apple Watch is a multi tool. There is no one specific answer what somebody uses theirs for. It Excels mainly in communication with text messages/phone calls and fitness. But in order really to appreciate the Apple Watch, you have to experience it.

Also, you don't have to charge it every single night depending on how much usage you use it every day. I can go over two days without charging my Apple Watch.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
The Only way you're going to be convinced if you actually experience the Apple Watch, as your mindset seems to be you're not really interested. The Apple Watch is a multi tool. There is no one specific answer what somebody uses theirs for. It Excels mainly in communication with text messages/phone calls and fitness. But in order really to appreciate the Apple Watch, you have to experience it.

Also, you don't have to charge it every single night depending on how much usage you use it every day. I can go over two days without charging my Apple Watch.

^^^ this

The watch is on it's third iteration and the functions of the watch are pretty defined.

How many of these functions do you need or want to add into your routine.

I know people that have bought the watch solely for the LTE and running while others have bought it just for the messaging and email app. However it seems they end up integrating the watch deeper into their daily routine.

In regards to charging.

How frequently do you charge your phone?

Currently I can easily go two days if there isn't a workout involved.

Times I charge the watch
At night
driving to work
sitting at my desk
while in the shower
during times I don't want to be bothered.

Where is what I don't get. People have been wearing watches for years and suddenly we need to have a watch or device 24x7 and to capture every breathe and step.

I know I feel naked when I forget my watch

Reactions: PlayUltimate

LaurieAnn

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2011
I use mine mainly for the notifications feature so that I am not tethered to my phone 24/7. My job requires that I am available around the clock and I don't have a traditional LAN line at home. When I had an brand new iPhone 6s, I accidentally dropped the phone in the toilet because I forgot it was in my back pocket. My kids also text with me often. One is in college, the other is a senior in highschool. I don't want to miss anything from them. The Apple Watch gives me reassurance that I will not miss anything important from family or work.

I wear my watch while I'm sleeping at night to monitor my heart rate and my sleep. I use the alarm clock function on the watch which is more pleasant than a traditional alarm clock. I charge my watch in the morning when I'm getting ready for work. It charges in under an hour because it's still got over 60% charge remaining.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

rmoliv

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 20, 2017
I think I would mostly use it to listen to music from Apple Music or whatever app it supports while working out. Monitoring my heart rate? I think that would drive me crazy would my heart rate go too high or low. I’m a bit hypochondriac... as to the bracelets do they wear out quickly or are they rather resistant to sweat and scratches?

CrystalQuest76

Suspended
Dec 14, 2015
West Cost A Lot
i work with several people that have iWatches. They all tell me they are fun toys. They don't make modern life any better. After hearing their comments, I am very happy saving my money and continuing to wear my analog watch that does not need charging on a daily basis.

Mikeeee

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2017
I've been wearing my Apple Watch for 6 weeks and have been very happy with all that it offers.

1) Use phone much less as I'm doing a lot of similar things with the watch (saves battery)
2) Quick glance at all notifications and emails
3) Occasionally calling and receiving calls from the watch
4) Fashion Accessory- I love the ease of changing the band and creating many different styles depending on my mood or what I'm doing
5) Heart monitoring - Making sure the ticker is working well :)
6) Sleep monitoring
7) Track all activity and exercise
8) Heart monitor for exercise versus uncomfortable heart monitor strap
9)GPS
10)Music
11) Podcasts
12) audio books
13) Tells time

Now if I compare it to a traditional watch.

1)Tells Time
2) Fashions Accessory

A no brainer for me.

praterkeith

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2005
Montgomery, AL
When I got my Series 1, I bought it used so that I felt like I could get back what I put into it if it turned out that Apple Watch wasn’t for me. Turned out I wore it every day for a year and a half before buying the Series 3 shortly after launch. I didn’t have to find uses for it, they simplified the way I do things. The notifications are awesome, and Siri makes responding to texts really easy, especially while driving. I use it for sleep analysis, to toggle between songs when listening to music, I set the alarm on my house, I get a notification from my Ring doorbell when someone approaches my house, I can quickly check my email, and the fitness features are an entirely different discussion. Everything works great and I never go anywhere without it. My Series 3 will easily go two days without a charge, and that’s when I sleep with it on. I have a charging stand next to my bed and when I shower I’ll charge it then, it’ll charge maybe 30-40% in the time it takes me to shower, get dressed, and get my things ready for work. It’s never been a hassle to charge, and that was one of my main concerns when I purchased my first Apple Watch.

Try it for yourself.

Reactions: Mikeeee

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
i work with several people that have iWatches. They all tell me they are fun toys.

Fortunately the several people you know
are not the majority. The Apple Watch is much more than a toy, it's a multi tool.

They don't make modern life any better.

That's false. They do convenience our lives more efficiently. The fitness aspect of the Apple Watch alone can make an impact on one's life if they routinely follow exercise and diet. The Apple Watch is a tool that helps keep track of health measurements.

I am very happy saving my money and continuing to wear my analog watch that does not need charging on a daily basis.

Have you ever used an Apple Watch? The Apple Watch does not necessarily need charging on a daily basis either. I can easily achieve over 2 1/2 days without charging my Apple Watch pending usage.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
It really depends on the individual. Only you can decide if you will find it useful.

I’ve had my Apple Watch since launch and I wear it everyday.

The main things I use it for are

Notifications

Apple Pay

Responding to messages

Recieving calls

Locating my phone

Tracking my activity

Flashlight

Controlling my music/audio playback when connected to my AirPods

Alarms, timers and reminders

Directions when walking

Checking the time

Last edited:
Reactions: Orangeman13

noteple

macrumors 68000
Aug 30, 2011
Other than tell the time on my wrist I don't see much logic to having one of these watches plus there's one downside to it which is having to charge it every night unlike a regular watch. .

Actually since I got interested in the sleep tracking App I DON'T charge it at night

First thing as part of my morning routine I drop it on the charging stand. After Shave, Shower, Coffee, and about 20 minuets more to checkin on the news and traffic, the watch is topped off and read to go when I head out the door.

BeefCake 15

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2015
This is a standard post from a newbie account that barely has a history, doesn't google the basics of what they're asking and make falsified assumptions to stir up people's reactions....OP will not come back to answer also.

rgarjr

macrumors 604
Apr 2, 2009
Southern California
The AW obviously is not going to be a must have device as an iPhone. Using mine for Notifications, Take/Receive calls, Music Control (volume up/down, change tracks), Alarms/Timers, Keep track of your activity/fitness.

A lot of people sport watches, so why not use one that can do more than just tell time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Orangeman13

rmoliv

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 20, 2017
This is a standard post from a newbie account that barely has a history, doesn't google the basics of what they're asking and make falsified assumptions to stir up people's reactions....OP will not come back to answer also.

I actually came back to answer a few posts back and I actually asked a question. But I'm more interested in reading people's comments so I can make a decision after weighting all the pros and cons. I'd like to know what's your experience with the bands resistance and durability. Do they get worn out easily? From my experience with regular watches plastic and leather bands get worn out very easily and the stainless steels ones are magnet scratches. That would be definitely a put-off.

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
I actually came back to answer a few posts back and I actually asked a question. But I'm more interested in reading people's comments so I can make a decision after weighting all the pros and cons. I'd like to know what's your experience with the bands resistance and durability. Do they get worn out easily? From my experience with regular watches plastic and leather bands get worn out very easily and the stainless steels ones are magnet scratches. That would be definitely a put-off.
I wore my SS with black sport band for 2.5 yrs. The micro scratches which accumulate on the SS polish out and the sport band got a little dull looking but, was otherwise like new.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
My Apple watches have become so much a part of my daily life that I can't imagine never having one on my wrist. It's so true that I bought several so that while one charges, I can put on another. It stays on my wrist 24/7 except for when I shower. December is also the first month that I have been out walking daily for the past three weeks because of my watch. I even went out to catch a quick mile this morning when it was 9 degrees outside after it snowed. o_O

I still have my three series 2 watches as well. I'll likely keep them, especially since one of them is a rose gold.

Reactions: Apple_Robert

mk313

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2012
Without reading the entire thread, my thoughts are that if you can't imagine a use for the Apple Watch then you probably will be unhappy should you purchase one.

The Apple Watch has been worth it to me, for the fitness recording abilities. I run, and prior to my watch, I used an iPhone, which worked ok, but the watch (series 2 for me) with Airpods is so much better as I don't need to carry anything. It's just about perfect. I use lots of the other features of the watch now that I have it, but if it wasn't able to record my workouts, then I would not have bought one for the other features.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I'd like to know what's your experience with the bands resistance and durability. Do they get worn out easily? From my experience with regular watches plastic and leather bands get worn out very easily and the stainless steels ones are magnet scratches. That would be definitely a put-off.

Since were on the topic of bands, Apples sport bands are actually made of flueroastamer, which is a highly synthetic rubber that is extremely durable and flexible. They are literally indestructible and are not necessarily composed of plastic or silicone. I can guarantee you you won't wear out the sport bands that are designed for the Apple Watch.

gorkt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2007
It isn’t something you “need”. It just makes the things you do a little easier. Apple Pay is pretty neat. Notifications are awesome. Adding things to my grocery list when they pop in my mind using Siri instead of forgetting to do it later. Series 3 with LTE makes running a dream. I have all my running music synced on my watch. I am addicted to “completing the circles” which makes me more active.

I really love mine.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
It isn’t something you “need”. It just makes the things you do a little easier. Apple Pay is pretty neat. Notifications are awesome. Adding things to my grocery list when they pop in my mind using Siri instead of forgetting to do it later. Series 3 with LTE makes running a dream. I have all my running music synced on my watch. I am addicted to “completing the circles” which makes me more active.

I really love mine.

I don't think the Apple Watch is going to be anything somebody needs, because it's a superfluous item. However, if the Health advancements reach where they need to be one day with glucose monitoring or an EKG in the future, than that could change the Apple Watch where somebody actually may need it.

batrush

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2017
If we’re basing worth on how useful it is/what it can do, no not at all. Like, not even close. If you have to ask this question it’s most likely not for you.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
I had the same mindset with you before. I mean I used to wear a watch, but stopped after I had my first mobile phone because the phone also tells the time. So I come to smartwatches from the perspective of someone not wearing a watch.

Now I cannot live without my Apple watch.

One word, notification. How do you know when you receive a notification/calls? A ding and/or a vibration from your phone, assuming you heard/felt it. If not, you have to take out your phone and look at the notification screen. Quite troublesome if you put your phone in a bag/pocket, and have to take it out everytime. This is where the watch solves my pain. With the Apple watch on, I never miss any notifications/calls, and I can quickly see what they are and then decide if I need to take out my phone or not. It saves time. Hard to describe until you experience it.

Reactions: millerj123

Guacamole

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011
how does download emails where there is no internet around?
does it use the internet from your phone ? I'm referring to the non LTE version

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
how does download emails where there is no internet around?
does it use the internet from your phone ? I'm referring to the non LTE version
For the phone to receive emails, your phone must have connection to the cellular service or local wifi service. If such is not the case when you have your phone and watch near each other, the watch will not be able to receive emails. The non LTE version relies on the phone connection (and or wifi) to help complete watch synced functions.

Reactions: Guacamole
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.