Is it worth returning for a dead pixel?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by k4show, Apr 1, 2012.

1. k4show macrumors member

I have the new iPad, 32gb Wifi. It has a particle under the screen or a dead pixel (it's hard to tell which). Is it worth gambling? The tint of my screen is even, but still very warm. Will I lose my AppleCare+?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks

2. TexasChemE macrumors 6502a

TexasChemE

3. interwebs macrumors member

Where is the defect located? I can't tell from the picture. Realistically, you'll probably have to balance which functional issues bother you most and attempt to find a balance that maximizes your preferences. If the speck is in the periphery, and you are sensitive to uneven tinting, then it may make sense to keep it if you anticipate having difficulty finding another unit which does not have tint issues; especially if you think there is a substantial chance that you will also get dead pixels, or particles under the glass, in replacement units.

Good luck!

4. Mikekan macrumors regular

A pixel of such a small size in this case will never appear in a photo, come on guys...

5. Mortalias macrumors 6502

Mortalias

I would suggest it isn't worth it. No model will ever be exactly perfect. You only seem to notice "imperfections" when you find yourself obsessing over them.

Just forget about it and enjoy your new iPad, there's a lot to love!

6. Mikekan macrumors regular

My iPad 2 had a dead pixel. I didn't return it, but it was bugging cause it was quite big, iPad 3 pixesls are smaller, and in the middle of the screen...

7. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

No need to ask anyone here. Its up to you if it bothers you or not. Some will, and others may not. If me, I would. Paid too much for the iPad.. ;)

8. matttye macrumors 601

9. Giov macrumors member

Some of the fanboys out there may ask you to get a life and call you ocd whatsoever. Ignore them. Get a replacement.

I was at Apple store today, went through two ipads, both with specks of dust underneath the screen at several corners and the other one with stuck pixels. I showed them to the Apple staffs who agreed with me. They were sympathetic. So it's not OCD! I told them the few on display had the best screens that I had seen so far. They advised me to keep trying or wait out for a bit longer. So I suggest you do the same.

10. matttye macrumors 601

Just because the apple staff are sympathetic doesn't mean it's not OCD!

11. Giov macrumors member

They saw the stuck pixels and few specks of dust as well. They even offered to open another one up but I said let's not waste time because I know the odds. So they have ocd too? So everyone with good eyes have ocd? Wow!

12. k4show thread starter macrumors member

Do you think returning in a month or so may give me a better shot of getting one with a better screen?

13. tdream macrumors 65816

Those guys saying deal with it, are lying. If they had an iPad with a dead pixel, 100% they will return it. In this day and age, it's pretty much unacceptable to have any dead pixels in any screen. Doesn't matter, they used the same logic with 720p, 1080p and now the high res display of the new iPad. Don't accept anything other than a pixel perfect screen.

14. matttye macrumors 601

Looking for these defects, finding them and deciding that they're so severe they warrant a replacement is OCD, in my opinion.

15. k4show thread starter macrumors member

I received it on launch day and its been more than 14 days now, (and probably won't have time to get to the apple store until Thursday). Would that be an issue because its a manufacturing defect?

16. Giov macrumors member

I think there is such a thing as bad and good batch or early manufacturing kinks. If Apple realizes the problem, they will do whatever it takes to rectify it. I don't want to lose faith in Apple just yet. The genius told me not to lose faith and keep trying. So I will try again in a month.

17. k4show thread starter macrumors member

Being outside of the 14 day exchange policy by then would it be replaced under warranty (and would it be a new unit or a refurb?)

18. Giov macrumors member

The reason we are looking for these defects in the first place is because we don't want to notice it when it's too late. Finding them and deciding on a replacement simply means we want something as advertised by Apple and it's not OCD. Misdiagnosing someone with OCD on the otherhand is kinda sick!:rolleyes:

----------

For now I think there aint many refurbs. But you might get a refurb as replacement through genius appointment at later date. But I am not sure.

19. matttye macrumors 601

If you have to look for a defect and it's not immediately apparent, i.e. you have to look at the device from crazy viewing angles with brightness turned up way up high and in darkened rooms, then THAT is obsessive.

If, however, a defect is immediately apparent and causes a problem in the way you use the device, then it's normal to ask for a replacement.

20. Giov macrumors member

That's absolutely my point my dear friend, I am looking for dead pixel/trapped dust when I got it in store just to prevent myself from seeing it too late into my ownership under normal usage. Imagine I don't see it immediately after buying it, a few days later when I fire up a journal on my iPad then i see black dots here n there on my screen, that will ruin the entire experience and maybe I have to go back n get it exchanged again. Isn't that a downer? And stop saying that dead pixel or trapped dust is no big deal, maybe it is for you but not for me and many out there. I am paying good money for this unit, a dead pixel means a component is not working properly if they give me a discount for it, i will take it or else it'd better damn well be working perfectly. And don't tell me there is always defect and tolerance in manufacturing bla bla bla ya da ya daa.

I don't see any dead pixel or trapped on my lcd monitor, macs, iphone 4, ipod nano, my bro's samsung galaxy tab 10.1 and I got them in my first purchase!~ Btw, it's our money, why do you care fake doctor?

21. DS3 macrumors 6502a

On the iPad 2 I would have returned it, but if its really just one dead pixel on the new iPadi t will be very difficult to see in use and I wouldn't bother since you have Apple Care+ and will probably end up getting a replacement at some point down the line. Cant see it in the picture..

22. tmarks11 macrumors 6502a

it's a free country, so I will.

You know that Samsung will only cover warranty repairs for an LCD monitor of iPad resolution which has 6 pixels or 16 sub-pixels failed? Amazing that Apple even entertains exchanges for 1 pixels. Guess it is all about customer service.

Think how much cheaper they could sell the iPad if they didn't have such a liberal return policy.

Also, just to make you happier, just because (most) or your pixels work now, doesn't mean they won't stop working later. Inspecting at purchase won't guarantee that it will be free of defects forever. I had a UMPC that I dropped about a foot, no damage except that one of the pixels failed.

23. Giov macrumors member

Oh, if that's the case, I will still opt for samsung's 6 pixels policy because the rate of having dead pixel or more interestingly trapped dust isn't that rampant. If i dropped it and get a dead pixel thereafter, that's my fault and my problem and I will deal with it. Dead pixel out of the box, I deserve better. By the way, I never dropped my expensive gadgets. I repeat, I never dropped any of them before and hopefully to keep it that way.;)

24. matttye macrumors 601

This is a pointless discussion because neither of us are ever going to agree with each other. A few black dots or bits of dust on a screen wouldn't bother me at all.

I wouldn't dream of exchanging something because of a dead pixel. I think that's absolutely bizarre.

25. Buckeyestar macrumors 6502a

Buckeyestar

I don't see anything. I thought I did at first, but it was just a dust mote on my screen.