Is it Worth the 6S Plus Wait?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by yakabod, Jul 19, 2015.

1. yakabod macrumors newbie

I currently have an iPhone 5 running v7.0.4 jailbroken. I been eligible to upgrade for a while now, but I just been lazy too. Now that I want to finally upgrade, after doing research, A 6S plus will be releasing soon. Possible to get the 6 plus now and then upgrade when the new one comes out with the ATT leasing program?

Or should I just wait it out till September to upgrade?

2. bhayes444 macrumors 6502a

If you're satisfied using your 5 now then, in my opinion, the best course of action is to just wait. I am not schooled in the nuances of the AT&T leasing program. So, if that is a better deal, then I will let others discuss that point.

3. yakabod thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the input, I guess i might stick with that quote, "if it aint broke, don't fix it" till they release it.

4. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

A lot of people are in the same boat as you. They are iPhone 5 owners and did not upgrade to the iPhone 6, many because it still had 1GB of RAM. They are waiting for the iPhone 6s because it will finally increase the amount of RAM. It's certainly not a bad position to be in, since the iPhone 5 turned out to be a phone that handled iOS upgrades very well, compared to it's predecessors.

5. nepalisherpa macrumors 68020

nepalisherpa

It's less than two months now before the new phones will be announced. At this point, I would definitely recommend that you wait since you already have a good/working phone.

6. Don't Stop macrumors newbie

Don't Stop

Wait for September, the upgrade to the 6s and 6s PLUS will be more significant over the 5 to the 6 Plus now.

7. yakabod thread starter macrumors newbie

But its a for sure thing that they will release in either august or september though? Dont want to get my hopes up and then they delay the release. :(

8. Don't Stop macrumors newbie

Don't Stop

Going off of the last few generations, Apple has been releasing their iPhones in September since the iPhone 5.

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

If your current iPhone is working, I'd wait until the new ones are released.

10. dljeffery macrumors regular

The answer to this is no, it's not possible to do that, if you mean just turning in one device and picking up a new one. With AT&T Next, the earliest you can turn in a leased device and start a new lease on a newer/different device is 12 months.

You can upgrade earlier than that, but you would have to pay off your current device first (and then presumably sell it on eBay/Craigslist/wherever).

11. TWD98j macrumors regular

True, although the 4S was the first iPhone release to take place in the fall, back in 2011. But yeah, Apple will almost undoubtedly bow the 6S and 6S Plus in September.

The OP should definitely wait until then. I am personally on my 5S that I've had since launch day Sept 2013. When I first saw the 6 Plus last fall I immediately fell in love with the large screen and ALMOST traded up for it. But then I considered the performance and fact that it still had the same 1GB of RAM that my 5S has and that I likely wasn't losing much from the 5S as far as performance goes. So I decided to stick with it.

But I will definitely be at my AT&T store on launch day for the 6S Plus.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think at this point the safest bet is to wait and see. I think it will be worth it, and I'm coming from a 6s, of course my situation is a little different as I want a smaller phone

13. Don't Stop macrumors newbie

Don't Stop

I wanted to upgrade to the iPhone 6/6+ baaad, I wanted a bigger display on the iPhone. But besides that, the build design, there wasn't much different. Same 1GB RAM, the new CPU/GPU didn't seem like a big change, camera wasn't a significant enough upgrade. Now the iPhone 6s/6s+? We might be getting 2GB of RAM, 12MP camera lens, etc. It's a better upgrade for us 5s (or older) owners this coming September. Oh I almost forgot, 128GB option! I need that lol.

14. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

From somebody like me who's last iphone was iphone 5 this will be a big upgrade

15. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

I would wait at this point even if I was upgrading from a non iPhone.

16. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

I'd wait.

For one, the next iPhone will be for sale in about 8 weeks (56 days).

For two, I think the iPhone 6 was a weak release; more of Apple self parody than something that Steve Jobs would've allowed to be released.

The 6S should right the ship based upon leaked/rumored specs:

12MP Camera
    5MP FF Camera
    2GB RAM
    14nm A9
    7000 series alloy
    Force Touch
    Less buggy iOS9

Those are big spec bumps, and way over the current iPhone 6 and 6+.

17. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

Are you getting the 6 plus S?

18. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Yeah that's the plan

Wanted to get the air 2 and tie it up with the plus

I love my edge but I miss the larger screen and I'm getting annoyed by the random issues with my Samsung phones like lag on texting and the screen suddenly just freezing.

19. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

Yeah I know how it is. I got fed up too after 3 years. Samsung make great phones with so much potential but they never deliver. You keep buying the next phone in the hope that it fixes everything but it never does.

20. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

And now no SD card and removable battery that has put me off slightly

It's why I think a fair few are returning to iphone

Only reason I left iphone was screen size really.

Now that's fixed

21. Mr. Chewbacca macrumors 6502a

Mr. Chewbacca

My iPhone was stolen so I am using a cheap android, although I am eligible for a new phone I'm still holding out for the S model. The S may not look different but it is usually a very significant spec bump. The upgraded camera and force touch alone is worth it.

If you are going to keep your new iPhone for 2 years then 2 months is nothing.

22. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

Yeah. Once the 6 plus was announced I couldn't see a reason to stay with Samsung. It had a bigger, higher resolution screen. 128GB of internal storage and a great battery.

Widgets get better everyday as does sharing.

I don't use the third party keyboards.

I did buy the note 4 a few months back to use alongside my 6 plus but I ended up returning it after a week as it was just too buggy for me.

I might upgrade to the 6 plus S. If it's a good upgrade.

23. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Think going forward I will likely just get the big upgrade instead of the S line but depends on the improvements

One thing I'm looking for to is ibooks and podcasts. I used those alot it magazine subs.

24. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

The iPad is great for magazines.

Are you going to get an Apple watch?

25. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

I'm tempted but thinking of waiting till the 2nd one.

You got one?