Is it worth to buy now?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by emperoruriel, Feb 28, 2008.

  1. emperoruriel macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2008
    #1
    I have read many posts explaining to wait for the macbook pro update in June. I have recently ordered a 17" macbook pro, but I am wondering are the updates worth waiting for? If so, what should I be waiting for, or should I just keep the one I bought?:confused:
    I do know computers update very often and I should not be having buyer's remorse, yet some updates are of more value than others.
     
  2. aosman macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2008
    #2
    Personally, I am waiting for a case redesign rather than a spec bump.
     
  3. HLdan macrumors 603

    HLdan

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2007
    #3
    June is not even 6 months away and Apple's update cycle has always been at least 6 months. People on this forum have created such a huge party of people waiting and waiting for this last update just 2 days ago and it's quite a healthy update. The OP should just keep his order and stop this madness about waiting, do you need it or not? If you keep following trends on MR about waiting till one update after the other then it becomes a game more than a need.
     
  4. tersono macrumors 68000

    tersono

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2005
    Location:
    UK
    #4
    If you need it now, buy it now. :rolleyes:

    They've only just been updated, for heaven's sake - if you're always going to wait for the next update, you'll never actually buy anything :p

    For what it's worth, I have the older high-res 17" (the one that was just replaced this week), which I bought last summer to replace an old Titanium powerbook G4 which was showing its age badly. Yes, I could have waited and got the multi-touch trackpad etc, but in the meantime I've had a lot of use out of the best computer I've ever owned. Hell, I'm so pleased with it, I'm not even bothered that it isn't the latest and greatest any more...

    Frankly, even if you'd bought it last month, you still would have wound up with a superb machine. Like I said, if you need a new computer - now's a better time than most to buy.
     
  5. joefinan macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2007
    Location:
    Kingston-Upon-Thames, UK
    #5
    In June there'll be rumours of the next next update/redesign. You could be waiting for ever...
     
  6. honeycrisp macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 28, 2007
    #6
    Two words: Yes!
     
  7. tanjacob macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 14, 2007
    #7
    If you can wait, go for Nehalem which is touted to be the true next big thing that blows Penryn away. No point waiting for Montevina in June since it will still use Penryn chips.
     
  8. Skyldig macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2008
    #8
    Keep in mind that not everyone is a speedaddict.
    I for one, am only waiting for a case-redesign before i buy, and the Montevina-update will be a big chance for Apple to redesign the MBP.

    If you want the newest design, wait and see if Montevina will bring you this. If you want the greatst speed, now is the time to buy.
     
  9. arn macrumors god

    arn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Apr 9, 2001
    #9
    the updates will be incremental. faster bus, slightly faster processors... but 4-5 months away. 4-5 months of having a computer that you're probably not going to max out on a day to day basis. What are you waiting for? 4-5 months of not having a computer, so you can run apps 5-10% faster and save $200-$400 for the same speed machine?

    arn
     
  10. hexonxonx macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2007
    Location:
    Denver Colorado
    #10
    Buy it now and have no regrets, just enjoy it. In 6 months, yes there will be a newer model but you DON'T need to worry about upgrading again for at least a few years. In 6 months, there will always be another new model no matter when you buy. I personally love the aluminum cases.

    I bought my MBP last July just shortly after the models were refreshed and honestly, I am not in a hurry to upgrade to a new model. Bigger hard drive and multi touch simply isn't worth another few thousand dollars. I've got a 250GB WD Passport attached to my Airport Extreme and that's enough space for quite some time.
     
  11. emperoruriel thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2008
    #11
    Forgive me for asking. I just wonder was the the, "Yes!" for waiting or for keeping the one Apple is starting to ship.:confused:
     
  12. tanjacob macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 14, 2007
    #12
    Agreed. I saw no point in waiting and so I ordered mine two days ago. After all, if one wants to wait till June for Montevina one might as well wait for Nehalem. :D
     
  13. bov macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2007
    Location:
    San Francisco
    #13
    would really want to wait 4 months for a speculation? theres no 100% guarantee that new MBPs will come in June. MacBook Pros just got updated... be happy with your brand spankin new MBP ;)
     
  14. puke macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 30, 2007
    Location:
    Sweden
    #14
    Ofcourse it's worth buying it now! It's a great update. I bought it when they released it, and im very excited to get it. (Tbh, don't wait for the next one, you'll wait forever and never get your computer)
     
  15. ArkabaS macrumors member

    ArkabaS

    Joined:
    Dec 3, 2004
    Location:
    The Moon
    #15
    Isn't this really risky? A full motherboard/case redesign means it will be a Rev A product. And we all know how many headaches Rev A products can cause (with exception to iPhone and MBA, which seem to be ok). Plus, there is a good chance the external redesign will be uglier. It's hard to beat the current MBP in the look department.

    Speed difference will be insignificant. Maybe there will be WiMax or BluRay, but both of these things you can get with the current MBP with either ExpressCard or FireWire BluRay drive.

    Buy now most definitely. You get a last generation AluMBP. Santa Rosa kinks are fixed, the CPU is low power, future proof SSE2, 256 MB graphics (helps with resale value and longevity of machine), etc.
     
  16. markrivers macrumors 6502a

    markrivers

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2008
    Location:
    Valencia, California
    #16
    if you want to wait.. wait for the 2009 release.. it's definitely better than the june 08 release,...:D
     
  17. ibizarocks macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2007
  18. markrivers macrumors 6502a

    markrivers

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2008
    Location:
    Valencia, California
    #18
    please define worthiness in your own standards.

    if the primary usage of the MBP..will be for surfing the net, listening to itunes, watching some video.etc:). even the 2006 MBP can do that and with the current price of the 2006 MBP ( less than $1000) it's still worth it for ME.
     
  19. puke macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 30, 2007
    Location:
    Sweden
    #19
    Got the mail ive been waiting for. Apple sent my 2,4 ghz penryn mbp :)
     

Share This Page