Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daddyd302

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2012
West Allis, WI
The last 2 pro's I bought the 10.5 and 12.9 M1 both had cell and I thought I would use it. I just ended up wasting money as I never used the cell feature aka sim card. For the 13 M4, I just went with the wi-fi version. I don't need it because I can hotspot my Iphone 15 PM for cell connection. I always have my Iphone with me.

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
Didn't add it for my first iPad 3, didn't know what I missed and used it mostly indoors as it was when iPads were hella heavy, no loss.

Then cheaped out when getting the 10.5" Pro, turned out I travelled a lot during the ownership and quite regret not having SIM, had to deal with spotty public WiFi all the time overseas, and iPhone tethering absolutely sucks.

With the M1 12.9" I made sure to add it since the iPad together with the KB and Pencil is a sort of large investment, so may as well. Then pandemic came... used the SIM slot a grant total of once. Was supposed to travel more recently but I found out how good the portable modems have become, so ended up not needing the iPad's internal SIM at all.

If I were to get an iPad Pro M4 right now I would save the 200 bucks.

Reactions: maverick786us

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
Just a note:

In the UK, cellular is £200 more on iPad Pro, but "only" £150 more on Air, standard and mini.

Is cellular on an iPad Pro any different to what it is like on the other devices?
When 12.9” was exclusive to iPad Pro, one would argue it had the largest antenna which obviously helps. But now the Air also gets that size; don’t know if Pros and Airs have the exact same antenna layout / shape though.

Then I think the previous Pros had mmWave that the Air never had (?). But then now the Pro lost that. Really the markup difference just feels arbitrary.

Reactions: polyphenol

JSRinUK

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2018
Greater London, UK
Just a note:

In the UK, cellular is £200 more on iPad Pro, but "only" £150 more on Air, standard and mini.

Is cellular on an iPad Pro any different to what it is like on the other devices?
On buying a refurb M1 iPad Pro 11” recently, the cellular option was £100 extra. Had it been £200 like on non-refurb/new devices, I would not have gone for it. Glad I did, though.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
Only reason I get cellular on all of my iPads is having a real GPS. I use maps a good bit and the GPS can pinpoint which chair I am sitting in in my sunroom. If I need my iPad to connect when away from my WiFi, I use my iPhone as a hotspot as it is free!

polyphenol

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2020
Wales
On buying a refurb M1 iPad Pro 11” recently, the cellular option was £100 extra. Had it been £200 like on non-refurb/new devices, I would not have gone for it. Glad I did, though.
That is pretty much why I ended up with my cellular iPad Pro (though a 2018 model).

And, having found a super-cheap SIM that lasts for a very long time, and is on EE network (whereas my phone is on Three network), I am glad I did. Provides just enough to cover emergencies when Three signal not available. However, I'd actually prefer the same deal on an ESIM and bung that on my phone!

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
If you buy the iPad from Apple, you can then do T-Mobile 5GB /150 days for $10 option.

That’s available to all unlocked US region cellular iPads. You don’t need to buy from Apple specifically.

I haven’t tested iPads from other regions if that same plan shows up on those.

aurora_sect

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2022
I have used iPads for ten years now and never got a cellular model for the same reasons you mention - if I do not have a WiFi around, I just tether it to my iPhone. So far I have never been in a situation saying “if only my iPad had cellular!”.
Same, haven't missed it once in nearly seven years.

lsara

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2015
As someone who has had both iPads with and without cellular over the last 12 years, I don’t find it necessary. When I do need to connect when I’m on the go I just tether to my iPhone. If I am overseas then I do the same. No issues anywhere I’ve been.

SierraVista

macrumors member
May 20, 2024
I always get cellular for ease of use. It's convenient to have if electricity is off for any reason and it's perfect for travel as I don't like to use public wifi.

Agreed 100%. I travel quite a bit for work and to me, built-in cellular means not having to worry about public WiFi networks that are often throttled or outright block streaming, corporate VPN, etc. With wideband 5G expanding, in places like airports I’ve found cellular can be anywhere from 5-20X faster than the available WiFi networks. I’ll also use the iPad as a hotspot for my laptop, for the same reasons.

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2013
UK
That’s available to all unlocked US region cellular iPads. You don’t need to buy from Apple specifically.

I haven’t tested iPads from other regions if that same plan shows up on those.
Not in the UK. T Mobile were a standalone network here until 2010 when they merged with another network to become EE.

None of the four traditional networks come up on the e-Sim. There are only three options on it IIRC, and I hadn't heard of any of them despite spending much of the last decade jumping ship to whichever MVNO was offering the best deal at the time. They appear to global operations that just happen to offer a service in the UK, which probably explains why they're uncompetitive.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
I’m away and the moment and paid £5 for 2GB (30 days) and am writing this on a motorway service. Getting 5G and is blisteringly fast on my 11”. M4. This will do me as don’t go away a lot so will just put £5 on as and when needed.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Not in the UK. T Mobile were a standalone network here until 2010 when they merged with another network to become EE.

None of the four traditional networks come up on the e-Sim. There are only three options on it IIRC, and I hadn't heard of any of them despite spending much of the last decade jumping ship to whichever MVNO was offering the best deal at the time. They appear to global operations that just happen to offer a service in the UK, which probably explains why they're uncompetitive.

I expect the plan only shows up while in the US as it’s offered by T-Mobile US. I’m just not sure if it’s available to all unlocked iPads or unlocked US iPads only.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.