Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thet3chbr0th3r5

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 10, 2012
What was your first reaction when you picked up that brand new iPhone 5? My reaction was "HOLY ****! It's so light and thin." I'm seriously in the mood for buying a new iPhone 5 but I need you guys to help me out cause I don't know if its worth upgrading from my 4S? :confused::confused::confused:

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
For me, yes. The screen alone is worth it, and when I view letterboxed apps that haven't been updated yet, they now feel small. :) Also, the 5 is significantly fast than the 4S. Most notable on Instagram, where it takes advantage of the faster main CPU and GPU, so it processes my images about 6x faster than on the 4S. lens/film combinations that used to take 6-8 seconds per picture to process on the 4S now take about a second.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
unless you can buy it for $50 or so after selling your 4s, no

i have the 4s bought my wife the 5. its nice but nothing so insanely good that i have to pay a lot of money for

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
It is if you have a full upgrade available, but otherwise I wouldn't eat an early upgrade for it unless you have lines to spare for upgrading.

Jnardis

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2010
I went from the 4 to the 5 and I couldn't be happier. 4G LTE is unbelievable and I'm finally going to take advantage of my unlimited data...

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2011
I would wait until the 5S. That is what I'm going to do. The 4S to the 5 is not as big an upgrade as the 4 to the 4S.

The big difference from the 4S to the 5 is a bigger screen and LTE. If that matters to you, go for it. If not, wait for the 5S when that will truly be the best version of the 5 with much better upgrades.

Dumbledorelives

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2010
I ended up upgrading from my 4S to the 5. I wasn't planning on it, but yesterday I picked up a 5 in store and decided that I really liked it. Went on a crazy iPhone hunt, found the last one at the local Best Buy, and several hundred dollars later I'm still very happy with the purchase. For me, it was the screen size and the thinner form factor. It feels fantastic. The LTE and upgraded wifi radios are nice, too.

Stayfly2407

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2011
VA
i went from a 4 to the 4S, then from the 4S to the 5, and i couldnt be happier. Its way better than the 4S, i sold that quick and used the 450 i got from the 4S towards the 32G iphone 5, out right. Way thinner, way lighter, dont have that bright silver band around the black one, easier to text landscape with the longer screen, iOS 6 runs smoother, etc i could go on. plus LTE, no brainer, next year ill do the same with this one.

mikeydeezy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
MN, USA
Honestly I would say no.

I was stoked. Got my 5 Friday and by Sunday I realized that it didn't warrant the big bucks. Honestly, in my Apple-fanantic opinion, you'd be better sitting this generation out unless you absolutely NEED LTE.

That's the only real world advantage to me.

I'm returning my 5 today as a matter of fact.

Incognegro

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2012
What was your first reaction when you picked up that brand new iPhone 5? My reaction was "HOLY ****! It's so light and thin." I'm seriously in the mood for buying a new iPhone 5 but I need you guys to help me out cause I don't know if its worth upgrading from my 4S? :confused::confused::confused:

I went from an iPhone 4S to an iPhone 5 and I live in an Sprint LTE city. Knowing what I know now, I probably would have passed and waited on the iPhone 5s. Why?

1. iPhone 4S has most of the features of the iPhone 5 with IOS 6.
2. Screen size is nice, but most of the apps aren't upgraded to use the full screen including photos.
3. Sprint LTE coverage is like 50% or so in the designated LTE cities.

IMHO, it's just not that significant an upgrade. Don't let the hype eat you up as it's a doozy on your wallet. :)

auero

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2006
I'd break it down to if you want a slightly taller screen and can get or have access to LTE.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
I felt exactly the same way but after a hands on with a friend's iP5 chased all over town yesterday looking for one.

(If you're in San Diego North County area I can save you some time! Of course I went to Apple in Carlsbad- nothing available outside of Sprint iPhones... they do expect daily shipments, but nothing large for awhile. Went to Best Buy- same deal, although they're now willing to take down your name for a waiting list without having to purchase a $50. gift card. Target? No good.
AT&T and Verizon?
Both out for awhile- all models, all colors. Landed on a whim at Radio Shack off of El Camino Real without anyone in the store- had exactly what I wanted! I was in and out in twenty minutes as the employee set up my iPhone5 flawlessly and without hassle.)

The best way I can put it is the 5 bump up from the 4S is like the bump from 3G to 4G (passing the 3GS). It's the 4S on steroids, so to speak: clearer, faster, more intense- without sounding too radical.

For the first time I took some photos this morning and the quality surpasses the 4S although I wasn't expecting it to.

I too was on the fence and others opinions may have influenced me to at least look, but the hands on experience sold me.

Darwing

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2009
Im one who wantal some more peoples opinions os ho have upgraded so far, im most likely not going to upgrade but Id still like to see the opinions of those who have..

also Im still interested in the SIII, although itsl a little wide for my liking, but it is still a good phone, from what I can tell.

Radiating

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2011

Yes it's light years better.

Darwing

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2009
Yes it's light years better.

keep in mind that you may be feling the ios upgrade, ios6 is a big upgrade from 5. the half an inch on the screen, I feel is nullified by the letterboxing of apps that arent configured to work with it...

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I would wait until the 5S. That is what I'm going to do. The 4S to the 5 is not as big an upgrade as the 4 to the 4S.

Um...
4 --> 4s: faster processor, Siri, better camera, new antenna design
4s --> 5: faster processor, faster graphics, 2x RAM, better camera, HD front camera, new antenna design, new form factor, thinner, lighter, bigger screen, and oh yeah, LTE.

I absolutely do not understand the repeated protestations on this forum that the 5 is a "minor upgrade." With the possible exception of 3GS --> 4, it's the biggest upgrade in the iPhone's history. And I say this as a 4s owner who does not yet have a 5 (but really wants one).

Now all of that said, whether it's worth the upgrade from a 4s is a personal decision depending on use and finances. For me, the bigger screen and lte alone do it, easily. But the 4s is a great phone and runs really well on iOS 6, so I can easily see it not being worth the cost for some people.

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
To keep it short, in my opinion no, if you have a 4S the 5 isn't necessary unless you really need a bigger screen and LTE. Side by side, the 4S isn't far behind the 5 in speed. At least it's not fast enough to make me want to upgrade early. This discussion happens every year. Every two years in my opinion is the best way to go. If you upgrade every year it won't seem like a big upgrade.
The 4S on iOS 6 has all the features of the 5 except taking pictures while recording and LTE (correct me if I'm wrong). No brainer, keep the 4S if you're still under contract.

Jnardis

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2010
Um...
4 --> 4s: faster processor, Siri, better camera, new antenna design
4s --> 5: faster processor, faster graphics, 2x RAM, better camera, HD front camera, new antenna design, new form factor, thinner, lighter, bigger screen, and oh yeah, LTE.

I absolutely do not understand the repeated protestations on this forum that the 5 is a "minor upgrade." With the possible exception of 3GS --> 4, it's the biggest upgrade in the iPhone's history. And I say this as a 4s owner who does not yet have a 5 (but really wants one).

Now all of that said, whether it's worth the upgrade from a 4s is a personal decision depending on use and finances. For me, the bigger screen and lte alone do it, easily. But the 4s is a great phone and runs really well on iOS 6, so I can easily see it not being worth the cost for some people.

I couldn't agree more. And people who are waiting for the 5s (or what ever it's going to be called) will eventually have the same phone casing. I don't think Apple has ever changed the casing (structure) before with in the same ( 3 to 3g and 4 to 4s), correct?

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
I couldn't agree more. And people who are waiting for the 5s (or what ever it's going to be called) will eventually have the same phone casing. I don't think Apple has ever changed the casing (structure) before with in the same ( 3 to 3g and 4 to 4s), correct?

But I think with the 5S, Apple might change the way they anodize the aluminum since so many are making a stink about scratches and scuffs. The S model is usually better because all the kinks get worked out, even though it will look like the previous year.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
The big difference from the 4S to the 5 is a bigger screen and LTE. If that matters to you, go for it. If not, wait for the 5S when that will truly be the best version of the 5 with much better upgrades.

And a brighter screen with wider gamut, and better cameras, and a new antenna designs, and faster with more ram, and a better speaker and microphone, and noise cancelling, etc.

But yeah, its only a taller screen and LTE.

ginwrak

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012

don't mean to sound like a prick but that decision is up to you whether it is worth it or not. Everyones opinion is very subjective, what maybe a good upgrade option for them may not be a good upgrade option for you.

Is the weight of the device really a huge factor?

What is on the iPhone 5 that you cannot have on the iPhone 4s that you really want/need? Is this feature/or features worth the cost? Bigger screen? LTE? Faster?

Hopefully the above questions will help you out.

SeanMcC

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2009
Minneapolis
No.
tumblr_m9uouhGCMt1r2mxb0.gif

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.