is it worth upgrading to leopard for a 1st gen macbook?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by heyp, Jun 17, 2008.

1. heyp macrumors 6502

at first, i thought tiger was fine for me, but i've recently discovered to develop sdk apps for the iphone you need leopard. but, seeing as i've never developed an app i might not even be able to develop my idea. on the basis of leopard vs tiger alone, is it worth upgrading if i have a 1st gen core duo macbook?

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Yes, definitely. But it would be a bit slow with 512MB RAM, and you'll benefit hugely from 2GB if you don't already have it.

3. italiano40 macrumors 65816

italiano40

4. heyp thread starter macrumors 6502

how will it do with 1GB? faster, slower, or no difference from tiger?

5. reubs macrumors 68000

I've got a first gen baseline Macbook with 2 gigs of RAM, and I love Leopard on it. I'd highly recommend the upgrade. I've actually found that having Leopard on there I've really started to take advantage of the system whereas with Tiger I used it for my simply word processing, surfing, e mail, and the like needs.

FWIW, RAM is so inexpensive that if I were you I'd try to go ahead and bump it up to two gigs.

6. davedelong macrumors member

davedelong

I'm here on a Mac Mini Core Solo running Leopard at 1.5GHz with 512MB RAM, and it runs fine (just don't open 10+ apps at once!). I've also got Leopard on a 1GHz PowerBook G4 with 768MB RAM that also runs fine.

It's definitely worth the upgrade.

7. heyp thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah that's kinda where i'm at now with tiger, mainly simple stuff with an occasional use of ilife apps... what have you found yourself using more of with leopard?

8. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

I put leopard on my first gen MB within a couple of days of release. Definite improvement over tiger.

9. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Here's a list:

Preview-much better PDF reader now than Tiger and more functionality for photo editing and management. No need for Adobe Reader anymore.

Stacks-makes it much easier to access programs and folders in the Dock without opening the Finder.

Quicklook-easiest way to view any pics or documents without launching programs, can't live without it.

Time Machine and Spaces are a necessity so there's no way I could go back to Tiger nor would I want to since none of these features are available.

10. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

RAM is so cheap these days that a price hike seems imminent (DDR2-800 is becoming more mainstream, DDR3 is slowly phasing DDR2 out, etc) so get 2GB now! it's only about $30-$40

11. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Check the prices for RAM. RAM is so cheap, not upgrading to 2GB is almost criminal.